Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-19-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Fictionwise Geographic Restrictions

I encountered my first one today, trying to buy Sean Williams Grand Conjunction Astropolis series end.

Note that I bought earlier books in this series, same shop, same card.

Author also happens to live in same country, same city as me.

Also, local bookshop says the PAPER book is available, already, a week or so ahead of the preorder date on this one.

So seems pretty crazy.

Anyone seeing this more, post Barnes and Noble.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't worry about it. Just set your country to "USA" and pay by some method other than credit card - Micropay or PayPal. It's nothing to do with B&N - it's the book's publisher who imposes the restriction due to the restrictions THEY have on the countries that they are allowed to sell to. FW have to impose this "restriction" but they (I suspect) deliberately make it trivial to bypass.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Hmmm... seems Fictionwise has now upped the check - at least this is the first time I run acrtoss being allowed to buy but not download the book!

I have been able to buy US/CA books as late as a few days ago. But today I was allowed to buy it, and the book is in my Bookshelf, but I cannot download it, it has the following extra text/restriction now:

"GEOGRAPHIC RESTRICTIONS: Available to customers in: US
Credit Card needed to verify download. Click here to set it"

Extremely annoying, grrrrrrr

Last edited by June; 09-26-2009 at 02:21 PM.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Hmmm... seems Fictionwise has now upped the check - at least this is the first time I run acrtoss being allowed to buy but not download the book!

I have been able to buy US/CA books as late as a few days ago. But today I was allowed to buy it, and the book is in my Bookshelf, but I cannot download it, it has the following extra text/restriction now:

"GEOGRAPHIC RESTRICTIONS: Available to customers in: US
Credit Card needed to verify download. Click here to set it"

Extremely annoying, grrrrrrr
This extra bookshelf check is based on your IP-address.
If you use a site like "www.hidemyass.com" you should be able to download the book.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
You can use proxies to avoid those simple checks as geertm mentioned. It depends how thorough they want to be (which probably depends on demands of publishers).

Some proxies may not be strong enough if they are being thorough so you might need to use multiple proxies. :S Of course this assumes you have a verified US CC.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
pwarren
Connoisseur
pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pwarren can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Irex Iliad (Dead), EcoReader (Smashed screen), Kobo Touch
Another thing I've discovered this week, is that Fictionwise and Shortcovers will both charge you for the book, and then tell you that you can't download it.

Shortcovers have promptly dealt with my issue, not so for Fictionwise, they have yet to respond.
pwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:42 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
You can use proxies to avoid those simple checks as geertm mentioned. It depends how thorough they want to be (which probably depends on demands of publishers).

Some proxies may not be strong enough if they are being thorough so you might need to use multiple proxies. :S Of course this assumes you have a verified US CC.
The one geertm mentioned works. I've used it to download my copy of The Lost Symbol. And you don't need a verified US CC in that case.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:57 AM   #8
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Thank you very much for the info. It seems the restrictions differ, I tried buying another restricted book and was able to download as usual. But the one book needed a proxy.

Very bad form to let the customer pay for the book and then not allow the download. The check should be earlier in the process so one knows what is going on.... Especially considering North Americans who are on vacation overseas and maybe not have (access to) a credit card....
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Very bad form to let the customer pay for the book and then not allow the download. The check should be earlier in the process so one knows what is going on.... Especially considering North Americans who are on vacation overseas and maybe not have (access to) a credit card....
That is what I was thinking too... Geographical restrictions based on IP address are the weirdest thing to implement...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwarren View Post
Another thing I've discovered this week, is that Fictionwise and Shortcovers will both charge you for the book, and then tell you that you can't download it.

Shortcovers have promptly dealt with my issue, not so for Fictionwise, they have yet to respond.
pwarren,
That definitely should not have happened. Our geographic rights system shouldn't let you buy anything you cant read or download. Can you PM me your login email so I can follow up with our customer service team to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Jordan Christensen
Product Manager
Shortcovers
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:10 PM   #11
George
Enthusiast
George began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/iPhone - PRS 600
I understand Geo restrictions but I'm against them. Publishers/rights holders need to wake up before their customers get fed up and move on to illegal sources where there are NO restrictions and NO DRM. You can't keep making it harder for your customers and expect to keep them when the alternatives are much more appealing.
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:30 PM   #12
elvee
elvee began at the beginning.

Device: bebook, bebook mini, sony Prs 600, Sony Prs650 Kobo Touch, Kindle Tou
I have just finished an email to Fictionwise but don't really expect it to change anything. But I'm so frustrated with this location thing. Time after time yesterday I chose books that I wanted to purchase and it wasn't until the next screen that I found the (geograpical restrictions) How silly is the whole thing. You choose an item that you wish to buy and you get told by the store retailer. "No I won't sell you this item??? I'll have to look at less legal means I think. Does anyone know when this might be fixed? Or do they intend to continue alienating customers?
elvee
elvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvee View Post
I have just finished an email to Fictionwise but don't really expect it to change anything.
Probably not. I'm sure Fictionwise would love to take your money, but the publishers won't let them.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:54 AM   #14
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvee View Post
I have just finished an email to Fictionwise but don't really expect it to change anything. But I'm so frustrated with this location thing. Time after time yesterday I chose books that I wanted to purchase and it wasn't until the next screen that I found the (geograpical restrictions) How silly is the whole thing. You choose an item that you wish to buy and you get told by the store retailer. "No I won't sell you this item??? I'll have to look at less legal means I think. Does anyone know when this might be fixed? Or do they intend to continue alienating customers?
elvee
Elvee, Fictionwise do alert you to the fact that a book is restricted. If you click on the book title or the "read more" you will go to a screen which alerts you to the restrictions.
The following is taken from the last song by Nicholas Sparks. Not sure what the initials stand for, but you can be pretty sure that if the title is restricted, it is not available here in Australia.

eBook Publisher: Hachette Book Group/Grand Central Publishing
Fictionwise Release Date: August 2009

Available eBook Formats [Secure Mobipocket/eReader (recommended) - What's this?]: SECURE MOBIPOCKET FORMAT [534 KB], SECURE EREADER (RECOMMENDED) FORMAT
All formats: Printing DISABLED, Read-aloud DISABLED
Mobipocket Reader ISBN: 9780446558150
GEOGRAPHIC RESTRICTIONS: Available to customers in: CA, PH, PR, UM, US, VI
What's this?
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 AM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
These are the Internet codes:
  • CA: Canada
  • PH: Philippines
  • PR: Puerto Rico
  • UM: Baker Islands
  • US: United States
  • VI: Virgin Islands
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crazy, geographical restriction, publishingfail, sean williams