Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Anagnostis
Anagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW/PW2 - Kobo Aura HD -iPad 3
Ppaerwhite unified firmware ?

should amazon provide the same firmware for PW1 and PW2 and give both kindles the same features ?

Not long ago Jeff Bezos said that
Quote:
""We want to make money when people use our devices, not when people buy our devices,"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19907546
what is your opinion?
Anagnostis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I am afraid that I really see no connection between Mr Bezos' statement and your point about unified firmware. All current Kindles can already use the same content, which is the point he was making.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Anagnostis
Anagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with othersAnagnostis plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW/PW2 - Kobo Aura HD -iPad 3
The connection is - in my opinion - that there is nothing stoping them from giving you the same features as in pw2 (goodreads etc. ) providing us the same firmware but instead they "force" us to upgrade if you want to use them .
Anagnostis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I'm sure they will push those same changes to the PW1 (and Touch) the same way they pushes most of the PW1 changes to the Touch -- as soon as they write the update. The PW1 and PW2 are not the same device, even though they share a logo. The hardware is completely different, so it's not just a matter of agreeing to sign the update for the PW1 as well.

Amazon is not conspiring to sell more upgrades from PW1-->PW2, they don't make money off selling the hardware. (it's not just a matter of they don't want to -- they don't, period.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagnostis View Post
The connection is - in my opinion - that there is nothing stoping them from giving you the same features as in pw2 (goodreads etc. )
Pretty sure that goodreads integration is only available in the US right now, anyhow.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #6
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagnostis View Post
what is your opinion?
Generally, my opinion is that "Hell yeah PW1s should have the most recent software, having been the beta run for the following device and all" (I'm actually just a little annoyed that I got uneven lighting at the bottom, now that I know that it could have been done better for less money), but I think that there is no way to make a case for that out of statements that Bezos made that will coerce Amazon to do so.

But I'm currently holding off from buying Kindle books anyway, so I’m not really using my Kindle. I wrote to second level CS that I would do so until Kindle for Mac supported Personal Documents and copying of text and well, I have to stick to that...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #7
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian
el.jeffe58 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7, Voyage, PW2, Touch 3G, Fire TV
Hi Anagnostis. My opinion is that you should have it the way you prefer in a perfect world. I am in mental health, so that is coming from the perspective of psychology. It may not be feasible to provide a comfortable experience with or without updates in devices but that is a different question. Thanks for posing a challenging question.
el.jeffe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:22 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Personally the only thing I could do with on the Paperwhite 1 is the vocabulary builder. The rest I don't need and I certainly don't want Cloud Collections, or to lose the ability to use my own font so far now I am more than happy to keep the existing Paperwhite 1 firmware,
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
krbo
Enthusiast
krbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of lightkrbo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle PW2 & PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Pretty sure that goodreads integration is only available in the US right now, anyhow.
no it isn't, my pw2 came from Germany (with 5.4.2) and goodreads is in
krbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
He meant "when used with a US account", the country it was shipped to/from is irrelevant .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote