Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #36991
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Waiting for Death in Paradise to begin on BBC1.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:17 AM   #36992
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Waiting for Death in Paradise to begin on BBC1.
Was it good? I missed it.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:36 AM   #36993
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I was, to be honest, a bit disappointed. I don't know if you know the big thing in this episode so:

Spoiler:
Richard is killed off in the first couple of minutes of this episode. From what I've read the actor Ben Miller didn't have time to film all the episodes, though he had time for more than one, but they decided to write him out. Somehow it didn't feel like they did Richard justice. I like Kris Marshall as the new DI, but this wasn't a worthy exit for Richard, he had so little acting time that the real Richard, as we've come to know him, was seen. To me it almost feels like the writers/people behind the show wanted to take revenge on Ben for not being able to film a full season. I hope it will go back to the series we know in future episodes.

Since you are in the UK you should be able to watch it on BBC iPlayer, if you want to follow the rest of the series I wouldn't skip this episode.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #36994
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I was, to be honest, a bit disappointed. I don't know if you know the big thing in this episode so:

Spoiler:
Richard is killed off in the first couple of minutes of this episode. From what I've read the actor Ben Miller didn't have time to film all the episodes, though he had time for more than one, but they decided to write him out. Somehow it didn't feel like they did Richard justice. I like Kris Marshall as the new DI, but this wasn't a worthy exit for Richard, he had so little acting time that the real Richard, as we've come to know him, was seen. To me it almost feels like the writers/people behind the show wanted to take revenge on Ben for not being able to film a full season. I hope it will go back to the series we know in future episodes.

Since you are in the UK you should be able to watch it on BBC iPlayer, if you want to follow the rest of the series I wouldn't skip this episode.
That's OK. My wife watched it and had told me. The 'big thing' was also featured in the trailers for the program. I'll probably try to catch up - I should at least give it a try I think
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:35 AM   #36995
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Washing off dive gear, uploading photos, and drinking good tea. Be it ever so humble... nah... I'd rather be diving.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #36996
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
LOL glad it was a good trip
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #36997
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's just not hard to love Paradise...

Stitchawl
Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 AM   #36998
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
It's just not hard to love Paradise...

Stitchawl
WOW!!
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #36999
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
WOW!!
The funny part is that people see this sort of thing and think you have to be some sort of millionaire to live it... The truth is, you don't!

This past vacation, not including the diving which is always extra, cost $25 UDS per night for the two of us, giving us a bungalow with en suite facilities, 20 meters from the water's edge, breakfast included at the beachfront restaurant, plus an extra $6 a day to rent motor scooters.... I think we've all spent more on dinner for two at a good big city restaurant than this entire vacation cost us!

It's going to take me a week to go through all the photos we took, and these are just some quick snapshots to give a rough idea. This island was everything I could ever ask for as a vacation site. If there was a cliff for paragliding it would have been better, but hell... I'll settle for what I can get.

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Koh-Chang4.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	117992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Koh-Chang6.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	117993   Click image for larger version

Name:	Koh-Chang7.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	117994  
Old 01-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #37000
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
A "WOW" from me too. Thanks, as always, for sharing your photos. It sounds like you had a really great time. Are you planning to go back there again?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #37001
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
A "WOW" from me too. Thanks, as always, for sharing your photos. It sounds like you had a really great time. Are you planning to go back there again?
Again, and again, and again! At least until it too becomes so over-developed that I can't find a beach with no people on it, or a bungalow with a thatched roof. I've already 'lost' my favorite island to modernization... When I first found the island of Koh Tao 25 years ago there was no electricity, no roads, no phones, only 7-8 little shops for food, bamboo bungalows, and pristine white sand beaches. Today there are three car rental agencies, four 7-Elevens, and every building is made of cement.

On Koh Chang, there is still enough empty space for nature to survive. I saw things here I usually have to get further into the jungles to find... Rubber plantations in the jungles, wild monkeys everywhere you look, and even a Molotov Cocktail Store (well, really just a jungle-style gas station...) There are plenty of up-scale resorts, but also more than enough of the traditional island-living standards to satisfy the wanderer in me. I also have absolutely no objection to seeing half-naked beautiful young women frolicking on the beach. My watch band has more material in it than some of the bathing suits they were wearing! But I'm tough... I can take it.

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Koh-Chang9.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	118006   Click image for larger version

Name:	Koh-Chang10.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	118007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Koh-Chang11.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	118008  

Last edited by Stitchawl; 01-15-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #37002
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I love the Gas "station."
*and I feel for you having to view those bathing suits with less material than your watch band. *
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:40 AM   #37003
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
...and I feel for you having to view those bathing suits with less material than your watch band. *
Me too. Where are the pictures??!
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #37004
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Me too. Where are the pictures??!
You must be kidding... My wife stands right behind me when ever we're anywhere near the water, carefully watching where I point my camera lens... Anything less than a full Nun's habit and she's muttering under her breath.

Stitchawl
Old 01-16-2014, 06:35 AM   #37005
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
You must be kidding... My wife stands right behind me when ever we're anywhere near the water, carefully watching where I point my camera lens... Anything less than a full Nun's habit and she's muttering under her breath.

Stitchawl
Suspected that might be a problem (and one I face too) . Not that I'd point my camera anywhere inappropriate anyway...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?