Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #1
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Best Calibre settings for Glo

Ok, so all things being equal next week I shall walk in and buy a Kobo Glo. The frontlight has sold me on a new reader, and as much as I have had complete success with the Kindle, given the reading options of the Glo, and given minimal reported issues of lighting the screen, Kobo is the way.

Anyway in my travels I have read posts about little niggling firmware bugs etc with the formatting of ebooks. So my question, what are the best settings in Calibre when converting an epub to work flawlessly on the Glo?

Such as;
- Does inserting metadata at the start of the ebook give any advantage to the glo? ie from the main screen can I touch and hold and bring up book details like on the android app with Kobo books?
- Settings such as line height/indent/line size? Given the flexibility of setting line spacing etc, does Kobo override these settings? Or by setting any number there have a similar impact to setting page margins ie: nothing changes when changing the settings on the Glo?
- Should I split files on the Glo? IIRC there was some page turn issue on earlier firmwares, and by changing the file split size solved that. Still an issue?
- What are the best settings for exporting the library to the Glo? ie: folders/author sort/series index etc.

Thanks in advance.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Re: the output profile, best to select "tablet" and not "kobo" because the kobo setting will downscale images for the older lower-resolution kobos. "Tablet" won't do any downscaling at all.

The only problem I have on the Glo is occasionally a book seems to define font size in absolute terms, which can make them tiny on the Glo with its high resolution screen. I haven't found a way to force a minimum font size, only to remove size entirely.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Anyway in my travels I have read posts about little niggling firmware bugs etc with the formatting of ebooks. So my question, what are the best settings in Calibre when converting an epub to work flawlessly on the Glo?
I think the best settings are personal. Some people like no gaps between paragraphs with indented first line, some prefer the gaps and no indents.
Quote:
Such as;
- Does inserting metadata at the start of the ebook give any advantage to the glo? ie from the main screen can I touch and hold and bring up book details like on the android app with Kobo books?
The library lists have a menu icon for each book. Pressing that displays a menu with a "View details" option. This shows the book synopsis and details such as ISBN, size and publication details. It doesn't show the tags. Inserting the metadata jacket in the book is handy if you want the rest of the metadata. Calibre does a good job so that it doesn't harm reading the book on the device.
Quote:
- Settings such as line height/indent/line size? Given the flexibility of setting line spacing etc, does Kobo override these settings? Or by setting any number there have a similar impact to setting page margins ie: nothing changes when changing the settings on the Glo?
Kobo tends to not override settings in the book. As stewicide said, that means if the book uses absolute units, such as points, for the fonts and other settings, these will be used and the device won't change them. But, if a relative unit is used, such as em or percent, that will be used with the setting on the device.

The margins are a little different in recent firmware. Whatever is set on the device is added to whatever is set in the book.
Quote:
- Should I split files on the Glo? IIRC there was some page turn issue on earlier firmwares, and by changing the file split size solved that. Still an issue?
I haven't played with the file size. If I reformat a book, I usually split on chapters. That keeps the file size down so I haven't seen any problems.
Quote:
- What are the best settings for exporting the library to the Glo? ie: folders/author sort/series index etc.
I just use the defaults for the file name. You don't see this anywhere when using the device, so anything that works for you will be OK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote