Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-31-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Device: none
Question Keeping stuff together

When I registered I warned you I'm a total beginner and I'd be needing some very basic help, so here's Question 1:

How do I make sure that the source of a quote remains attached to the quote? e.g. If I wanted to set out something like this:

"Red hair, sir, in my opinion, is dangerous."
P.G. Wodehouse

At the moment, depending on whether or not I maximise the page, the source sometimes appears on its own on the following page.

Many thanks.
MrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrB View Post
When I registered I warned you I'm a total beginner and I'd be needing some very basic help, so here's Question 1:

How do I make sure that the source of a quote remains attached to the quote? e.g. If I wanted to set out something like this:

"Red hair, sir, in my opinion, is dangerous."
P.G. Wodehouse

At the moment, depending on whether or not I maximise the page, the source sometimes appears on its own on the following page.

Many thanks.
On what device or reader? You'd have to work pretty hard, if that were the only text on a "page" (screen), to make it large enough to break. However, you can try putting the text inside a div, and/or using a keep-together, BUT, be warned, many devices won't honor a keep-together in CSS.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

in Css you can have properties like
page-break-before: avoid
page-break-after: avoid
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
MrB
Very Slow Learner
MrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-booksMrB has learned how to read e-books

Thank you both for your suggestions. Perhaps I should have made it clear that I have half a dozen of these quotes on the same page.

Hitch, I don't have a device. At the moment I'm simply using Sigil to convert to e-pub and looking at it on Adobe Digital Editions which I've downloaded to this laptop.

Time to get to grips with CSS methinks!

Thanks again.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you really MUST make sure they stay together make a graphic image of it.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If you have something like:

Code:
<blockquote>
<p>"Red hair, sir, in my opinion, is dangerous."</p>
<div class="attribution">P.G. Wodehouse</div>
</blockquote>
just add "page-break-before: avoid;" the the div.attribution style. (I'm afraid some readers will not always honour it, though.)

If you don't, maybe you should.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If you have something like:

Code:
<blockquote>
<p>"Red hair, sir, in my opinion, is dangerous."</p>
<div class="attribution">P.G. Wodehouse</div>
</blockquote>
just add "page-break-before: avoid;" the the div.attribution style. (I'm afraid some readers will not always honour it, though.)

Jellby's right (his CSS-fu is mighty, BTW--you could do FAR worse than to crack open some of his ePUBs and emulate him, if you are learning); the problem is, many devices do NOT honor keep-togethers or avoids. And yes, if you're going to be making books more than once, you should a) wrangle with CSS--I originally learned from W3schools, cracking open ePUBs that my then-betters had made (and I still do), and trial-and-error, with a LOT of emphasis on the "error" part, and b) try to find a device.

I won't get into a device recommendation here--that would be like a declaration of war, trust me, and it's irrelevant to Sigil--but having a device is VERY helpful. (You can find used Nooks, etc., cheaply on Craigslist, methinks.) I'm always surprised by new stuff on devices (like the time with very, very unhappy surprise hyphenation issues on Nooks.)

HTH,
Hitch
Old 08-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Theducks learned his CSS the same way as Hitch.

Find books you like the look of and steal (borrow heavily ) the CSS ideas, trowing in your own twists.
Ducks learned about reverse engineering while on the bench.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:45 AM   #9
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post

My Sony reader honours it, so any device which uses ADE to render should do so also.

PS I've used it in <p... styles also, does not have to be in a <div.
& I learnt it my inspecting CSS in other books then googling.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
MrB
Very Slow Learner

Thank you all very much for sharing your wisdom.

Time for some action, not words (or rather, time for action on words!)

Thanks again.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's quite ridiculous that every wp or dtp program doesn't have a function "Export as EPUB" that actually creates code that works on any device!

But, while readers continue to be quirky, I can continue to make a few pennies from knowing the tricks of eBook conversion! :-)
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
It's quite ridiculous that every wp or dtp program doesn't have a function "Export as EPUB" that actually creates code that works on any device!

But, while readers continue to be quirky, I can continue to make a few pennies from knowing the tricks of eBook conversion! :-)
It's only ridiculous if someone believes that there is such a thing as "code that works on any device." ;-)

Don't I WISH! However, anyone who is competent in Word's styles can use Jutoh to produce perfectly serviceable basic ePUBs and MOBIs for their own eBook production (like DIY authors, etc.).

Hitch
Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
Oldpilot
Groupie
Oldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with othersOldpilot plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Occam's Razor:

"Red hair, sir, in my opinion, is dangerous." (P.G. Wodehouse)
Oldpilot is offline   Reply With Quote