Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #181
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Whatever, Anamardoll. We always somehow seem to cross swords, which is not why I'm here [edit by moderation] Your posts, though, are often interesting, though-provoking and influential in my own feelings when you point out flaws we all tend to have when posting in a rush, [edit by moderation] so I will not add you to mine. I continue to look forward to your well considered contributions. Best wishes. Neil

Last edited by dreams; 08-05-2011 at 11:29 PM.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #182
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The terrible grief of the dying as they realise their last hour is upon them and they still haven't read Proust.
Never having read Proust is one of my great achievements in reading.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #183
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
*snicker*
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #184
OldGunbunny
Enthusiast
OldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsOldGunbunny can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: 9 or so at last count
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you a 20 year old sophmore? If not, there's no requirement.

You will have to stay up all night discussing and drinking coffee after finishing the read.
OldGunbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #185
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
I think for an author to say that he or she prefers reading "real" books is a little bit offensive, if only because it sounds condescending.

I don't expect all authors to have to be compelled to be ebook readers, but perhaps the above can be phrased better. "I enjoy the feel of paper in my hands," for instance, or "I like print books, because I like the look and feel of a well-designed cover." Even "I like the looks of having books filling my shelves," would be fine.

But when one says, "I prefer 'real' books," that implies that ebooks are somehow lesser. Perhaps that is not what the poster means, but when writing on a forum, one has to be careful about their choice of words. After all, we can't hear their tone or inflection in their voice to estimate the 'true' meaning. All we have to go on are their words on a screen.

I would think that a professional writer, of all people, would know enough to chose his words with better care.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2011, 08:10 PM   #186
Native
Cozy Bumpkin Stories
Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Native ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Sorry to have to answer your ill-informed 'straw man' accusation, Anamardoll. Simply Google 'authors who admit to not reading books' and you will find many.

The very first listing there, in fact, is about the renowned Umberto Eco who openly states in a Guardian piece: "I'm a writer, not a reader." There are others, Of course, I have read Eco. But after reading what he has said here and there, I will never do so again.

I believe it to be an outright insult to intelligent readers and to other writers to say that the only merit and inspiration Eco and the likes sees in literature is in their own.

But that is a side-issue in the subject under discussion. Neil
Neil, I admire the courage of saying hard things, but that sounds to me as if you're trying to hurt with an accusation rather than trying to help with a warning. Connecting the quote you provided to the "outright insult" you drew from it requires quite a leap of peevishness. And that's before the context Anamardoll provided.
But here's some cannon-fodder: I gave up reading for years so I could develop and write my own voice and perspective without being led. The world didn't end, and I'm enjoying reading again.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #187
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Maybe your world didn't end.

You can't be sure about the others...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:10 PM   #188
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Late to the party, but I've been reading along -

Many authors are encouraged to come here and pitch their books. When Girlebooks.com took my book, the owner of the site signed up for Kindleboards and was going to sign up here to push it, but I told her I was already a regular. I also told her I'd never joined Kindleboards because I don't have a Kindle and didn't really feel it was kosher to go there just for the purpose of self-promotion.

She also signed me up for Goodreads - something I've looked at but am still not sure how to use.

I'm not good at the marketing stuff - which is why I submitted the book to them in the first place - but apparently, out *there*, beyond these electron walls, authors are being told that this is *the* (or one of *the*) place(s) to go promote themselves.

We have a reputation now - it's hard to blame others for taking advantage of it, annoying as we might find it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #189
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
You've already found that properly placed promotion is welcome and well received here, Kate.

But an author gains more community standing and greater respect by, as you do, contributing to general discussions as well. It's all a game of give-and-take; of sharing what we have to offer in terms of advice and opinion.

This is an e-reading community that includes many ebook writers and publishers, so it does appreciate news of available works, but it really does thrive, I believe, on those who (again like you) become part of the community rather than visit merely to exploit a handy target market for their ebooks. I hope, but don't know for sure, that they are few.

Luck, best wishes and karma. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #190
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I was a member long before I was an author.

In fact, I received quite a lot of help and advice from the other members here in writing my first book. I like to return the favor when I can.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #191
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The more I think about it, the less I worry about authors without devices. I don't particularly like people who just sign up to push their book - though if they do it in the right forum it's not going to bother me. Still, that's more about the community than anything else.

The reason I don't care otherwise is simple: novels are not fundamentally different as eBooks than they are in dead tree format. I've read the same book in both electronic and print formats more than once, and it's always been the same book both times.

Many of these writers are choosing eBooks simply because they want to make their books available to readers - and that's the only way they can do it. They aren't concerned about electrons versus paper, they're concerned about getting words before eyeballs by any means necessary.

My eighty-one year old mother doesn't read eBooks - but she does recommend books she's read in print to me, that I later read in electronic form. If an author promotes a good book, I'll be interested because it's good - not because I care whether the author reads fiction off a screen or a page.

It's the story that matters.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #192
Vic333
Connoisseur
Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vic333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The editor I know is interested in how her book looks and feels as an e-book, (the publisher released the e-version without letting her proof it) but isn't particularly interested in becoming an e-book reader herself. Luckily she knows my wife and I, and we clued her in on e-books, showed her how they work and how they look on the eink screen. If an author didn't know any e-book readers personally, or wanted a larger sample size, I could see them joining the forum and trolling around. They're not a user, but they are related to the product.

Many of them, though, might just be here just to promote, but since the author's section is clearly labeled as "Self Promotion", I see nothing wrong with that. I just don't read that section often.
Vic333 is offline   Reply With Quote