Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindle Hack Information Wiki Page

I'm working on a new page for the Visual Kindle Guide wiki. It's called Kindle Hack Information and is a collection of links to threads and posts for the current working hacks for all Kindles.

Some hacks already have their own hack instruction pages (font and screensaver). Some of the new hacks will be added after they are out of beta (Duokan) and others may never get their own instruction page (usbnetworking).

I've been combing through the Kindle forum trying to make sure I've found all the working hacks but I'm sure I've missed some. If you know of a hack not included on the Kindle Hack Information page, please post it here. The information can come from sources other than MR (though from my Google searches all roads tend to lead back to MR when it come to Kindle hacks).

There are also some hacks that I need more information about. Here they are:

The ScreenSaver Last Page Hack - Does this still work and for which Kindles?

The ScreenSaver Timeout Hack - Does this still work and for which Kindles?

USBNetworking - Which Kindles does this work on (I think it's all but K1)? Also, I never really got my head around it's purpose. Why would someone want this and is it something that would tick off Amazon (which is why it may never have an instructional page in the wiki)? I don't want to put MR in a compromising position and have to remove the page like I had to for the KindlePID and KindleFIX pages.

Thanks all.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
ichbindasauge
Connoisseur
ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ichbindasauge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 US, iPad, Samsung Win 8 Tablet
On my Kindle 2 US the USB networking hack allows me to set the clock, as I don't have wireless access outside the US. I think there are also other reasons to use it, but this is the only one for me.
ichbindasauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbindasauge View Post
On my Kindle 2 US the USB networking hack allows me to set the clock, as I don't have wireless access outside the US. I think there are also other reasons to use it, but this is the only one for me.
Thanks for that!
Old 11-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@daffy4u:

* The ScreenSaver last page won't work with anything except a specific very old FW revision. It's unlikely to be updated, unless someone with Java skills take a look at it again.

* The SS Timeout (there's an updated package in my fonts thread) will only work on FW 2.x. It's probably doable on FW 3.x, but I haven't found a satisfactory way to do it more or less cleanly.

* USBNet works on FW 2.x & 3.x, but I'd be very, very glad to *not* have any specific instructions about it on the WiKi, it's really not something one should use unless they know exactly what they're doing, unless one likes using a Kindle as an expensive paper weight... .

But to answer the question about what it's all about, it's mostly used to access the Kindle system (ie. give us a root shell), and do so wirelessly on the K3, which can be nice for some things (ie. wirelessly side-load books).

In short, it's an invaluable debugging tool for developpers, but given the fact that you can very, very easily mess your Kindle up with this, I wouldn't recommend this to the average joe .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-12-2010 at 02:20 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@daffy4u:

* The ScreenSaver last page won't work with anything except a specific very old FW revision. It's unlikely to be updated, unless someone with Java skills take a look at it again.

* The SS Timeout (there's an updated package in my fonts thread) will only work on FW 2.x. It's probably doable on FW 3.x, but I haven't found a satisfactory way to do it more or less cleanly.

* USBNet works on FW 2.x & 3.x, but I'd be very, very glad to *not* have any specific intructions on the WiKi, it's really not something one should use unless they know exactly what they're doing.
Much thanks for the updates. I've always had the impression that USBNet was dangerous on many levels, so I've avoided it (it will not get more than a link reference).

I missed the Timeout update and will go take a look right now.

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks .

I don't remember if the SS TimeOut install/uninstall instructions are mentionned somewhere on the forum, so make sure to note that one should read the bundled readme, and that it *will* make official updates fail . (Granted, that's probably not such an issue anymore on FW 2.x, but still ^^).

I also detailed a bit what we're mostly using usbnet for in my previous post.

EDIT: On the hotkeys front, there's also launchpad, which should work on FW 2.x & 3.x both.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-12-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Thanks .

I don't remember if the SS TimeOut install/uninstall instructions are mentionned somewhere on the forum, so make sure to note that one should read the bundled readme, and that it *will* make official updates fail . (Granted, that's probably not such an issue anymore on FW 2.x, but still ^^).

I also detailed a bit what we're mostly using usbnet for in my previous post.

EDIT: On the hotkeys front, there's also launchpad, which should work on FW 2.x & 3.x both.
I knew I remember seeing something about Launchpad but I couldn't find it. Thanks for the link.

Also thanks for the additional UBSNet info.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:20 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I updated the SSTimeOut hack (and the Wiki page). It should now work on FW 3.x, too .
Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Cool!
Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
dcstoked
dcstoked began at the beginning.

Device: K 3g
So, to clarify. I own a new Kindle 3g + wifi. I would like the screensaver to be the last page read. Is this possible or not possible? I would be willing to pay for this feature.

Daren Strange
dcstoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstoked View Post
So, to clarify. I own a new Kindle 3g + wifi. I would like the screensaver to be the last page read. Is this possible or not possible? I would be willing to pay for this feature.

Daren Strange
There is a similar discussion thread. It is not possible with the current Kindle firmware but apparently it is possible using the alternate Duokan software. I haven't tried it so I can't help you but you can post in the Duokan thread here.