Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
Kobo129
Kobo129 began at the beginning.

Device: Vox
New Kobo user in the UK

Hi

Most users on here are probably Canadian which makes sense seen as the the Kobo is canadian isn't it? I can't see many UK posters on here!

Mine was a birthday pressie and I wanted a Kindle but my hubbie was told the Kobo did so much more and was told you can read any books on there so they sold it to him.

I am still unsure it's right for me, I wouldn't say I was a technical person but I am OK researching and sorting stuff out, it just seems a hassle.
I have loads of questions, so far I have just downloaded 'free' Kobo books but using Kindle formats seems very complicated.
I can't even download the Kindle app as I get a message saying no android recognised.
The battery drains real quick, and it's not user friendly so far, I want to persevere but can't help feeling disappointed.
Is there a step by step guide on how to do basics anywhere?
Thanks!
Kobo129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
For basic information, try this link to Kobo's help site:
http://kobo.intelliresponse.com/inde...ouch%20screen?
PDF version of Vox Guide here:
http://download.kobobooks.com/learnm...user_guide.pdf
Also, there are a lot of posts in this forum that are very helpful for new Vox users but nothing "canned" that will list everything out in one post. I suggest you do a search of the Vox forum (click on the Search This Forum in the blue bar just above the posts) on the topic you want answers for.
Reading:
Download from one of the places below, Aldiko: for DRM'd books both purchased and library books, Kindle app for Amazon books, Kobo app already there for books purchased from Kobo

Apps:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...eworld%27s+app (click the download link for "regular apps")
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...app+store+list
http://goodereader.com/apps/category/ereader-apps/

Sorry about the number of UK posters but I'm sure you'll find us Canadians very helpful just the same... The Vox was launched here in late October so although I'm sure there are a lot of UK readers, many might not feel the same need to post as many of the answers people are looking for have been covered in older posts.
Good luck!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 01-21-2012 at 05:27 PM. Reason: added vox guide
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
If all you want to do is read books and you are heavily invested in the Amazon eco-system, then the vox is probably not the right device for you and you may wish to look at an exchange/refund.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #4
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
The Vox is not for the faint-hearted.
I got mine for Xmas and I can't believe the number of hoops I've had to jump through just to do simple things like read library books, and get gMail! I'm spending lots of time on these forums, which I enjoy, actually.
And I've had an Android phone for a year so I'm already familiar with the operating system and it's all I can do to do simple stuff.
If this is not your idea of a fun way to spend time, and your hubby is not offering to provide you with tech support on-call, then run, don't walk, back to your store and get a refund if you still can.
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Kobo129

Thanks Chantal (I am also a cat lover!) and fellow Canadians!

You Canadians are for more of experts than we are in the UK!

Thank you for all the links, I will no doubt be back with loads of questions, I feel a bit silly like for example, hooking up the Kobo to my laptop, I take it I need to buy a cable for this, I have some for my camera that look like they might fit but not sure.....just daft things like this and why is the cable so very short, I can't read and charge at the same time!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Your Vox should have come with a USB cable...so no need to buy one (unless you've misplaced it) and yes that cable is very short for the charger. I plug it into an extension cord and keep the plug end on the side table while I'm reading
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Also from the UK here.

The short cable doesnt bother me, I usually put my Vox on charge when I watch TV on an evening (2 to 3 hours), reading during the day I just use it from battery

Its on about 40 or 50% charge left when I plug it in
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Kobo129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Your Vox should have come with a USB cable...so no need to buy one (unless you've misplaced it) and yes that cable is very short for the charger. I plug it into an extension cord and keep the plug end on the side table while I'm reading
DOH! Just checked the box and there the USB cable is!

Good idea about the extension lead, pity it's not longer though like a laptop!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
If all you want to do is read books and you are heavily invested in the Amazon eco-system, then the vox is probably not the right device for you and you may wish to look at an exchange/refund.
I'm not sure this is correct. You can't get a Kindle Fire in Canada and I assume in the UK, and the Android Kindle app has full access to your Kindle library and the Amazon store. I have many Kindle books (most of them freebies) and they read very well. So IMO if you want a backlit eReader the Vox would be a good choice outside the US.

Last edited by dmacmart; 01-22-2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: typo
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
Noranoo
Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Noranoo knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Hi Kobo129 from another uk girlie

i desperately wanted a kindle for xmas..then i saw an ad for kobo. i'd never heard of them, so i had a bit of a google and read loads...and decided that i'd go for a kobo touch due to their format freedom that amazon doesnt give you.
THEN....i saw an ad on tv for the vox and liked the look of it..it was coming out in Smiths the next day...so i despatched my husband to get my next xmas gift.

i describe my vox as an ereader with a few frilly bits. i havent got into the realms of side-loading, rooting or anything remotely techie yet.

the niggly bits? i havent had any really. for me, im glad ive got the vox...it does what i wanted it to do..

this forum seems to be 'the' place to come for info...sure you'll get to grips with your new gadget.
Noranoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
I'm not sure this is correct. You can't get a Kindle Fire in Canada and I assume in the UK, and the Android Kindle app has full access to your Kindle library and the Amazon store. I have many Kindle books (most of them freebies) and they read very well. So IMO if you want a backlit eReader the Vox would be a good choice outside the US.
I stand by my original statement...if all the OP wants to do is read regular books, then the vox is a poor choice over an e-ink device.

[edit]: And to clarify, they said they wanted a Kindle, not a Fire which is presumably not available in the UK.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #12
Kobo129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noranoo View Post
Hi Kobo129 from another uk girlie

i desperately wanted a kindle for xmas..then i saw an ad for kobo. i'd never heard of them, so i had a bit of a google and read loads...and decided that i'd go for a kobo touch due to their format freedom that amazon doesnt give you.
THEN....i saw an ad on tv for the vox and liked the look of it..it was coming out in Smiths the next day...so i despatched my husband to get my next xmas gift.

i describe my vox as an ereader with a few frilly bits. i havent got into the realms of side-loading, rooting or anything remotely techie yet.

the niggly bits? i havent had any really. for me, im glad ive got the vox...it does what i wanted it to do..

this forum seems to be 'the' place to come for info...sure you'll get to grips with your new gadget.

Hi Noorano
I haven't even heard of side loading or rooting!
It's nice to have internet access though and it will be useful to take on holiday, it seems quite heavy though not as heavy as say 3 paperbacks! I'll get there in the end I'm sure
Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
I stand by my original statement...if all the OP wants to do is read regular books, then the vox is a poor choice over an e-ink device.

[edit]: And to clarify, they said they wanted a Kindle, not a Fire which is presumably not available in the UK.
Ok I see what you mean. if all you want is to read Amazon books, and the tablet aspect is of no use to you, then a Kindle eInk reader would be better.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Kobo129

Well, as I have one now and not a Kindle I intend to persevere with it especially as I have kind of personalised it, I just need to get to grips with it, especially the use of kindle books on there unless anyone can recommend any other good book (cheap) sites other than Kobo?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #15
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
For Kindle I use Calibre, load them into here and then sideload them onto the Vox, not allowed to discuss how on here, but if you search for Aprentice Alf in gives details

If you want an easier way, go to the link mentioned above on using your Vox browser, which is http://goodereader.com/apps/
Near the bottom you will see Kindle for Android
Click on this and you will see a button to download, click this

If you now click at the top of the screen and drag down (this is the notification area), alternatively press the middle button at the bottom and press Notifications

This should show the download for Kindle, when it shows complete, click on it and it will ask if you want to install it

from then you can press the All Apps button on your home page and run Kindle
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote