Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #136
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Another one suggestion: write user manual with the help of Sphinx and maintain it in source tree. There is a free service Read The Docs for hosting Sphinx-based documentation. It includes deep integration with GitHub and automatic update of documentation on every commit (with the help of GitHub webhook). It also compiles documentation into PDF and EPUB formats.

There are downsides, of course. It will require Python for local testing of documentation, learning of Sphinx for documentation setup and learning of reStructuredText for documentation writing (however, reStructuredText is close to Markdown).

I understand that user manual writing isn't a priority for now and GitHub wiki is pretty fine suited for current needs. Just wanted to describe one of other possible variants.

Yeah, I am also thinking of the better way to maintain user document. It will be great if we can generate PDF/EPUB and ship it within release package. I am pretty sure that there are many undocumented features in KOReader and KPV that people haven't found out yet ;p

The good side of documentation framework like Sphinx is it's in the source tree so we can take complete control over it, automate stuffs, etc. It's generaly more develper friendly.

But the down side is also it's in source tree, so other users cannot help improve it without knowing Git and Github.

I am thinking of generating PDF/EPUB from the wiki, since it's stored as markdown and can be checked out via Git. What do you think about this approach? Any better ideas?
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #137
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
But the down side is also it's in source tree, so other users cannot help improve it without knowing Git and Github.
Files in Git repositories on GitHub could be fully edited with the help of web-interface only.

There is an example of this feature usage at the page about integration of ReadTheDocs with GitHub.

There are also various web-based text editors supporting editing text content from GitHub repository online without cloning to local computer (like prose.io, c9.io).

You can also evaluate number of users that already contributed to documentation on wiki and predict whether strategy of keeping status quo will change the situation

Anyway, for now source and output formats of documentation aren't so important. Content is. And nobody could document new (and forgotten) features except developers. So if current workflow is comfortable for developers, I do agree with keeping it as a base for new ways of documentation producing.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #138
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
I am thinking of generating PDF/EPUB from the wiki, since it's stored as markdown and can be checked out via Git. What do you think about this approach? Any better ideas?
Better? No way to know.
But as a hint: You can find a markdown -> html converter in the 'tools' section of: https://bitbucket.org/twobob/kual-system
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #139
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

oh, I completely forgot that we can edit github files online ;p That's much better.

Also thanks knc for the lua script

Just notice that transifex supports wiki markup, but not markdown or rst, though they are quite similar. I will see if we can also get the translation part working.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #140
msnf
msnf can extract oil from cheesemsnf can extract oil from cheesemsnf can extract oil from cheesemsnf can extract oil from cheesemsnf can extract oil from cheesemsnf can extract oil from cheesemsnf can extract oil from cheesemsnf can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle PW
hello to all
thanks hawhill&his friends!

very nice job
i used my pdf file with koreader but icant fined any "gotopage" btn for fast navigate!
and program not support persian fonts! i copied some persian font to font folder but icant read persian document
how i add persian fonts?
msnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #141
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnf View Post
i used my pdf file with koreader but icant fined any "gotopage" btn for fast navigate!
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues?state=open

thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #142
Aj74
Enthusiast
Aj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Excuse me, but to some of you who use Kpvbooklet have this problem?
https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/73
Aj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #143
Carcara
Carcara began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj74 View Post
Excuse me, but to some of you who use Kpvbooklet have this problem?
I think I had the same problem. My solution:
Turn reflow off
Change Render Quality from small to medium
Turn reflow on

I don't know why the Render Quality keep changing it to small when you close the document.
Carcara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #144
dave2008
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnf View Post
hello to all
and program not support persian fonts! i copied some persian font to font folder but icant read persian document
how i add persian fonts?
you need to manually choose the font in font menu, touch on the top of screen to invoke main menu and switch to the second tab
Old 04-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #145
Aj74
Enthusiast
Aj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toysAj74 shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcara View Post
Turn reflow off
Turn reflow on

I don't know why the Render Quality keep changing it to small when you close the document.
Thank you, the trick worked on all files but one that still does not work.
In any case, does not seem normal to do this procedure.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #146
Carcara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcara View Post
Turn reflow off
Turn reflow on

Change Render Quality from low* to default*
Old 04-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #147
Carcara

Quote:
Thank you, the trick worked on all files but one that still does not work.
In any case, does not seem normal to do this procedure.
Yep, this is probably a bug with the Render Quality. This procedure was only the way I came up with my tests to read with reflow until this is fixed.
Try to set the Render Quality to high in this one that is still not working.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #148
Aj74
Enthusiast

Ok, the new version has solved the problem reflow:
As soon as I click reflow, koreader closes and returns to the kindle.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #149
Aj74
Enthusiast

For light, you can adjust it with the buttons instead of your fingers?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #150
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Ok, the new version has solved the problem reflow
It's also really fast now
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, koreader, launcher add-ons, lua, reader, touch