Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #16
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by huebi View Post
You should not insist in assumptions like that. "640k should be enough for everyone" is of the same kind. Better keep track for limitations, you dont know what your next reader is able to handle after your current one is not working any more.
True, but then again "640k should be enough for everyone" were your words, not mine. I never said that. I did mention that the entire ebook was only 500 or 600k and since I was splitting it into 3 parts, that should work just fine.

Again, as I mentioned, this ebook if me me and me alone. It will never be released to the public so I'm the only one I need to be concerned about. I wouldn't release one to the public this way and if I ever get anything other than a Kindle, doubtful but possible, or any other reader that can't handle more than 300 or 400k, then I'll just edit the book, no big deal.

Again, this is for personal use only so I'm not concerned with other people's readers, issues, etc. I was only interested in learning how to do this, not in what everyone thinks about whether or not I should.

I'm sorry and I don't wish to be rude but the last post or two really started taking on an almost rude or bossy tone with me and I don't need to listen to that. If I misunderstood, then I most humbly apologize.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #17
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It's ironic that you use an ePUB-editing tool to create a book for your Kindle, which does not read ePUB.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #18
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's ironic that you use an ePUB-editing tool to create a book for your Kindle, which does not read ePUB.
I'll agree with you there. I wish it did but, alas, I have no control over that.

Still, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better ebook editing combination of Sigil and Calibre, regardless of what format you want eventually. Using Sigil and Calibre to convert to mobi, I'm able to create ebooks for my Kindle that equal, if not surpass, those available commercially.

We all use what we must.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #19
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
Still, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better ebook editing combination of Sigil and Calibre, regardless of what format you want eventually.
Then, you want:

1) Merge multiple files in one with Sigil
and/or
2) Tell Calibre not to insert a pagebreak at chapter breaks

I don't have either of them installed here to give more details, but it looks like the "--chapter-mark none" option to ebook-convert could help, but I don't know what it does with pagebreaks at different files. Maybe you could ask for a feature to not add pagebreaks at split files in EPUB->MOBI conversion in Calibre (assuming it does not exist), then you won't need to merge the files with Sigil.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:18 AM   #20
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
True, but then again "640k should be enough for everyone" were your words, not mine.
These are not mine words, this is a cite from Bill Gates. Due to this limitation, there waere a lot of problems in the computerworld for more then 20 years.

And even if you are not concerned about others peoples reader, you have to be concerned about your next own reader.

If you want to learn about epub:

: readers are limited in space
: due to that books should be divided into several files
: a lot of readers are showing new files on a new page.

This is done in firmware and may be some readers are following CSS suggestions, may be others not. There are some CSS rules regarding page breaks, but CSS is a suggestion, nothing more.

And once again cause you ignored this several times: you dont know what your next reader will be nor what limitations it will have.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by huebi View Post
If you want to learn about epub:

: due to that books should be divided into several files
And many readers that CAN load a huge page, do it Snail slow. Even Sigil has this 'attribute'
Ah! yes. 640k
I think I may still have an Intel-Aboveboard (fully populated to 2Meg) somewhere. EMS.sys exists because of that architectural decision
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #22
huebi
Zealot
huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!huebi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
And many readers that CAN load a huge page, do it Snail slow. Even Sigil has this 'attribute'
Ah! yes. 640k
I think I may still have an Intel-Aboveboard (fully populated to 2Meg) somewhere. EMS.sys exists because of that architectural decision
Yeah, in addition himem.sys and some tools to load small drivers in the mem area between the grafics memory and the end of 1 meg + 64k due to himem.sys.
huebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #23
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I am sorry if you found me rude. I cannot see anything rude in my post, but who am I... It was just a reminder and up to that moment it was not clear that is was for personal use.

Again, I was not being rude, but just trying to help to avoid disappointment later.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote