Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2024, 03:02 PM   #1
michaelbeecham
michaelbeecham began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Books in Series order

Hey there,

I'm new here, as I've finally ditched Amazon, bought a Kobo Libra 2, downloaded Calibre, set it all up, and now getting my head around proper management of my books.

I do have one question though. I've sorted all my books in Calibre into series order, but I'm struggling to get them to show within the series tab on the Kobo. I've looked through the forums, and can find posts here and there, but they seem to start from the perspective of already knowing what plugins, etc should be used...this isn't a good starting point for me.

Is there a thread I've missed, that details almost a 'step by step', from the plugins I need, the settings I should use, etc?

Thanks in advance.
michaelbeecham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 03:26 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbeecham View Post
Hey there,

I'm new here, as I've finally ditched Amazon, bought a Kobo Libra 2, downloaded Calibre, set it all up, and now getting my head around proper management of my books.

I do have one question though. I've sorted all my books in Calibre into series order, but I'm struggling to get them to show within the series tab on the Kobo. I've looked through the forums, and can find posts here and there, but they seem to start from the perspective of already knowing what plugins, etc should be used...this isn't a good starting point for me.

Is there a thread I've missed, that details almost a 'step by step', from the plugins I need, the settings I should use, etc?

Thanks in advance.
Basically, you will need the KoboTouch driver which come with calibre. The Series column in calibre is a builtin column which you can display in the library window.

In Preferences => Sending books to device, ensure that Metadata management is set to Automatic Management.

In the 3rd page of the configuration for the KoboTouch driver, make sure that the Update metadata on the Device and Set series information are checked.

At this point any series information set in calibre should be sent to your Kobo on the 2nd connection (like many bits of metadata, you need to send the book and import it to create the database entry in the first pass).

The process is the same if you are using the optional KoboTouchExtended driver to allow converting ePub to kepub on the fly.

I would recommend installing the Kobo Utilities plugin. It has quite a few useful functions including allowing you to switch between the KoboTouch/KoboTouchExtended driver and open the active drivers configuration page.

See the attached images for some visual help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobotouch_driver_page_3.png
Views:	78
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	207607   Click image for larger version

Name:	sending_book_to_devices_config.png
Views:	69
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	207608   Click image for larger version

Name:	KoboUtilities_config.png
Views:	66
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	207609  

Last edited by DNSB; 04-15-2024 at 03:28 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2024, 09:53 AM   #3
michaelbeecham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Basically, you will need the KoboTouch driver which come with calibre. The Series column in calibre is a builtin column which you can display in the library window.

In Preferences => Sending books to device, ensure that Metadata management is set to Automatic Management.

In the 3rd page of the configuration for the KoboTouch driver, make sure that the Update metadata on the Device and Set series information are checked.

At this point any series information set in calibre should be sent to your Kobo on the 2nd connection (like many bits of metadata, you need to send the book and import it to create the database entry in the first pass).

The process is the same if you are using the optional KoboTouchExtended driver to allow converting ePub to kepub on the fly.

I would recommend installing the Kobo Utilities plugin. It has quite a few useful functions including allowing you to switch between the KoboTouch/KoboTouchExtended driver and open the active drivers configuration page.

See the attached images for some visual help.
Thanks very much for the breakdown, that's great and I greatly appreciate it. Following the above, will that display the books under the 'series' tab of 'MyBooks', or will it show the series as a collection, under the 'collections' tab?

TIA.
michaelbeecham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 10:34 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It will show as a series under My eBooks

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 07:06 AM   #5
michaelbeecham

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It will show as a series under My eBooks

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk