Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
Libre Pro $89.99 at Sears

The Libre Pro is on the cover of today's Sears ad for $99.99 with a 10% "Friends and Family" discount when you put it in your shopping cart.
That's only $89.99 + $6.95 shipping.
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
bookwarm
bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
I wonder we can buy now either Jetbook or Libre pro for the same price (through newegg/sears) so which device is better (they are almost similar with different firmware)
bookwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I have jetBook and tested Libre on CES show

jetBook has several pluses vs Libre:
1. latest firmware has support for B&N DRMed ebooks
2. jetBook comes preloaded with dictionaries
3. jetBook has better interface (IMHO)
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
bookwarm
bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwarm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Thanks kriss, i think i'll go for JBL just waiting for a good deal (i missed the latest 70$ deal at newegg )... BTW does JB support DRMed B&N books? (some old reports said it was supported in JBL and not in JB)
bookwarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Kris777, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the jetBook/jetBook Lite firmware updates have quite a larger fail/problem rate than the Libre's?

I have never had any major issues with the Libre's firmware or with trying to upgrade it, but have read of several people having issues with upgrading their JB/JBL or with the actual JB/JBL firmware. I could just be missing the Libre problems but I haven't seen them nearly as much as JB/JBL problems.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwarm View Post
Thanks kriss, i think i'll go for JBL just waiting for a good deal (i missed the latest 70$ deal at newegg )... BTW does JB support DRMed B&N books? (some old reports said it was supported in JBL and not in JB)
JB and JBL support B&N books now:
http://www.jetbook.net/update.php
Old 08-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Kris777, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the jetBook/jetBook Lite firmware updates have quite a larger fail/problem rate than the Libre's?

I have never had any major issues with the Libre's firmware or with trying to upgrade it, but have read of several people having issues with upgrading their JB/JBL or with the actual JB/JBL firmware. I could just be missing the Libre problems but I haven't seen them nearly as much as JB/JBL problems.
I had no problems to upgrade my JBL and JB. Just follow the instuctions on jetbook websie and fully charge the jetBook battery.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I'm like Kriss, I've updated at least 3 or 4 times with zero issues.
Follow directions exactly on a fully charged Jetbook and you should be fine.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwarm View Post
I wonder we can buy now either Jetbook or Libre pro for the same price (through newegg/sears) so which device is better (they are almost similar with different firmware)
The main advantage of the Libre for me is that it has a serif font. The Jetbook only has sans serif fonts.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Cadion
Cadion is on a distinguished road

Device: jetbook
My Libre pro has PDF reflow feature, does Jetbook with lastest firmware has it?
Cadion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I have jetBook and tested Libre on CES show

jetBook has several pluses vs Libre:
1. latest firmware has support for B&N DRMed ebooks
2. jetBook comes preloaded with dictionaries
3. jetBook has better interface (IMHO)
Although the English dictionary is pretty much useless to me.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadion View Post
My Libre pro has PDF reflow feature, does Jetbook with lastest firmware has it?
yes, v035m version has PDF reflow feature.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
yes, v035m version has PDF reflow feature.
The 0.16e verson for the Jetbook Lite, as well.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #14
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
With the advent of the new FW v18g for the Libre I would have to say that both are very close in features. The main difference now is the dictionary and support for B&N's ePub format.

Of course if you do not live in the USA B&N is not an issue. The same with Borders.

Both devices (JB & JBL as well as the ALP) support PDF w/ADE DRM with Reflow and "Content Search" as well as TOC support. Both also support ePub w/ADE DRM as well as TOC and "Content Search" support.

With the exception of B&N DRM ePub and pdb they all support the same open formats.

Yes the JB and JBL have a dictionary but the ALP has serif/sans seri for all formats.
I own both and I have found that the Dictionary's word database to be very limited.

I guess it is good if you are learning one of the four supplied languages.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote