Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Bebook 1 vs. Bebook Mini

Hello

Since May 09 I have a Bebook 1 and I love it. Sure, the page turn could be faster, but besides that ...

However, today I got into a big problem - my screen is all messed up. I already posted on the Bebook Forum and I contacted Endless Idea, but I fear that my screen controller is broken.
According to the website of Endless Idea, to replace a broken screen, you have to pay 125 €, if it ain't covered by the warranty.

So if my broken display is not covered by the warranty, I would have to pay 125 € - but a new Bebook Mini costs only 199 €.

So do you think I should invest the 125 € for repair, or get a new one for 199 € ? After all, the Bebook Mini is faster, right ?

What other advantages does it have ? Who had both and can tell me more about it ?
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Review of Hanlin V5 for V3 owners. I would get the Mini, although you need a case which adds to the cost (the EZ Reader Pocket Pro comes with a basic case, but I don't think the BeBook Mini does).

The only serious hardware issue I have seen reported with the V5 is that, probably in rare cases, the USB connection to a PC can be flaky.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Review of Hanlin V5 for V3 owners. I would get the Mini, although you need a case which adds to the cost (the EZ Reader Pocket Pro comes with a basic case, but I don't think the BeBook Mini does).

The only serious hardware issue I have seen reported with the V5 is that, probably in rare cases, the USB connection to a PC can be flaky.
Thanks so far for the link. The USB connection is not so important, as long as I can load the unit through it. I prefer to put all my stuff on an SD Card.
The case ... well, ok, I think it is better to use one, so yeah, that would add the costs. The Bebook 1 came with a case (I guess - I got mine used through ebay, with case)

Edit: but what about the battery ? I heard that the battery on the Mini is build in and very hard to replace ?
Batteries have a limited time span, so if it breaks after a few years, can I change it easily or will I have to buy a new device ?

Last edited by NASCARaddicted; 01-10-2010 at 07:30 PM.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NASCARaddicted View Post
Thanks so far for the link. The USB connection is not so important, as long as I can load the unit through it. I prefer to put all my stuff on an SD Card.
The case ... well, ok, I think it is better to use one, so yeah, that would add the costs. The Bebook 1 came with a case (I guess - I got mine used through ebay, with case)

Edit: but what about the battery ? I heard that the battery on the Mini is build in and very hard to replace ?
Batteries have a limited time span, so if it breaks after a few years, can I change it easily or will I have to buy a new device ?
It's not a user replaceable battery. But in this case, I don't mind too much, personally. Because the technology is still so new, there will be much better readers out there when the battery is close to death that I probably don't even want to replace it but rather get a new one.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It's not a user replaceable battery. But in this case, I don't mind too much, personally. Because the technology is still so new, there will be much better readers out there when the battery is close to death that I probably don't even want to replace it but rather get a new one.
Actually the battery is replaceable on the Mini, it just isn't a Nokia battery like the BeBook 1. Astak sell replaceable batteries for the Pocket Pro. Simply remove the little cover on the back, unplug the wires from the battery, plug in the new one and you're off and going.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
As NASCARaddicted (and me) is from Europe, the fact that Astak sells a replaceable battery doesn't help. We can't buy them here. But I stand corrected at how easy it is to replace (if you manage to find a replacement!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote