Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Question for those who've received the Sony 700

I'm just wondering if anyone who has received their Sony 700 can tell if anything is different (or better) between it and the store display models of the 700. I was told this weekend by a SonyStyle person that the display model was a "prototype" and that the actual units for sale may be improved in some way. Is there any truth to this?
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
johnnyr
Connoisseur
johnnyr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I'm just wondering if anyone who has received their Sony 700 can tell if anything is different (or better) between it and the store display models of the 700. I was told this weekend by a SonyStyle person that the display model was a "prototype" and that the actual units for sale may be improved in some way. Is there any truth to this?
A few people on here have already gotten their 700's and have said there is no difference.
johnnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Trek
Trek doesn't litterTrek doesn't litterTrek doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505
I haven't seen the prototypes, but the PRS700 I received today has a really poor screen compared with PRS505. It's worse than I expected, even after reading all the posts and seeing the pictures in this forum. It's going back to Sony.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You can also sell it, e.g. to this person or on ebay for probably more than you paid.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
Trek

I can't honestly sell this. The buyer would probably be as disappointed as I am with it.
Advert
Old 11-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
not sure. some members have said they love their new 700.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
johnnyr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
not sure. some members have said they love their new 700.
The only reason they are "not disappointed" is because they want to justify thier purchase. The screen is simply horrific, and to debate that fact is an exercise in futility.

It's not really that bad, but really, check out the screen before you buy

Last edited by johnnyr; 11-12-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

given that there are still people who insist they *prefer* to read on the small, backlit, lcd screen of a pda, whereas that approaches my idea of torture, i would say it's really difficult to claim that the 700 must be universally loathed...
Old 11-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #9
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyr View Post
A few people on here have already gotten their 700's and have said there is no difference.
Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry, as I look back at other threads, I see where you were essentially wondering the same thing, but I can't seem to find a post where an owner of a PRS-700 has made that comparison to the display model of the 700.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
johnnyr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
given that there are still people who insist they *prefer* to read on the small, backlit, lcd screen of a pda, whereas that approaches my idea of torture, i would say it's really difficult to claim that the 700 must be universally loathed...
Lol...true =) Someone's garbage is another person's gold, as they say
Old 11-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Lol...true =) Someone's garbage is another person's gold, as they say
precisely.

and people are usually willing to pay for their gold. and if you sell it to someone outside the us who can't easily get one you'd be doing them a favor.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #12
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
That a display model would be merely a "prototype" does not make marketing sense to me. Why would Sony want to display a model which is inferior to what it is actually selling, especially when it comes to the all-important screen quality? I think that salesman was making things up. I wouldn't be surprised.
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
Trek

I think most people that are looking to get a PRS700 haven't had the chance to handle one. They reasonably expect it to be at least as good as the cheaper PRS505. So, I don't think this is about preference but more about expectancy - one that is likely to end in disappointment with PRS700.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #14
johnnyr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
I think most people that are looking to get a PRS700 haven't had the chance to handle one. They reasonably expect it to be at least as good as the cheaper PRS505. So, I don't think this is about preference but more about expectancy - one that is likely to end in disappointment with PRS700.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. The screen on the 700 is okay...ish, but if you know what the 505 looks like, I don't see how you could think the 700's screen is nearly as nice.

Then again, the screen is everything for me, so maybe I'm a bit biased

Last edited by johnnyr; 11-12-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
The only reason they are "not disappointed" is because they want to justify the purchase. The screen is simply not good, and to debate that fact is an exercise in futility.
Hm, for many, no e-ink screen is as "good" as the printed page, and for them to debate that fact is an exercise in futility

I have been reading on the 700. When well lit, the screen is fine, and from my limited experience, reading for extensive periods is actually easier on my eyes, than reading a paperback (probably mostly because of the lighting and perfectly flat surface, but nevertheless....)

For me, personally, it is the small screen size, which is more disruptive to my enjoyment. I may get used to it, but for now, I don't like it.

Also, when I looked at the 505 in the store (twice,) I did not find any of the available font sizes enjoyable, while the 700 seemed perfect.

As I said before, I am not keeping my 700, because daytime visibility, and just as importantly, because of screen size.

I am just trying to convince myself, that the iLiad's poor battery life is not going to be a huge problem for me.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote