Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
Zorgodon
Zorgodon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Arrow How can I install the eTCL calculator and games?

I am not a developer.
I am trying to install this etcl app thing on my jailbroken Kindle Touch with the KUAL installed. I found this extremely badly worded paragraph on the wiki: Tcl/Tk application by using eTcl: Calculator Demo
You can create and run different Tcl/Tk application by using eTcl and the launcher. One example is a simple calculator. eTcl is required and can be downloaded from http://www.evolane.com/download/etcl...nux-arm.tar.gz
eTcl does not seem to work on PW2 (5.4.2) - the binary fails with "Illegal instruction".
Direct MobileRead Download HERE
just extract it to /mnt/us

Download the calculator zip from http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4cwur5266ti6bzi and extract it in the extension directory.
The Calculator can easily be modified if you need additional specific math functions.
The eTcl example below all require the eTcl download HERE

I extracted the put the 'etcl' folder into my usb root (/mnt/us) as instructed and put the calculator into my KUAL extension folder. Every time I launch the calculator from the KUAL, it gives me my home screen ( my book collections)
Please Help, running 5.3.7.2

yes, and here a guy is having the absolute same problem a month ago, but nobody has replied!!!

Last edited by Zorgodon; 11-26-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Zorgodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorgodon View Post
- - - -
eTcl does not seem to work on PW2 (5.4.2) - the binary fails with "Illegal instruction".
- - - -

Please Help, running 5.3.7.2

yes, and here a guy is having the absolute same problem a month ago, but nobody has replied!!!
So what firmware version are you running? 5.4.2 or 5.3.7.2 ?

Not that that would make much difference, "Illegal instruction" sounds pretty self-descriptive.

Not even yourself replied to a person in trouble, with a problem you are familar with (at least you are now).

Both of you might consider our "paid support" contract before complaining about the free support service.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So what firmware version are you running? 5.4.2 or 5.3.7.2 ?
5.3.7.2, the rest is a quote from here: Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Tcl.2FTk_application_by_using _eTcl:_Calculator_Demo

EDIT: wiki links don't work do that ridiculous splitting thing if they are too long???

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...alculator_Demo
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:29 PM   #4
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
I have a kindle touch and I remember a couple years ago making this work - but after trying to do more stuff with tcl/tk, I gave up. Seems to be a consensus on here that all the tcl stuff is hard to work with.

I know twobob made a KUAL extension of a gtk calculator, and there are some other versions on here if you search. Is there some reason you want etcl?

edit: etcl project is dead for a long time. I can't find any source? Probably should just remove that stuff from the wiki unless someone archived it...

Last edited by brianinmaine; 11-27-2014 at 03:24 AM.
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:14 AM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
"illegal instruction" points at a bad executable. Most curious, I thought that the PW2's CPU ought to be downwards compatible to what has been there before.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2014, 03:53 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
"illegal instruction" points at a bad executable. Most curious, I thought that the PW2's CPU ought to be downwards compatible to what has been there before.
It is, it should.
At least for the **core** instruction set.
The "optional" core add-in units are not that forgiving.

For instance, if the co-process (or sub-processor) that does fast, hardware, multiple was not included in the cpu build ...

The main cpu will only throw a:
-EGIVEUPALLHOPE
sort of error code. (like this one )

So the text of the error message might not be an exact description of what happened.

Getting an strace of the execution attempt would help refine the error message.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calculator, etcl, kindle touch