Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-01-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Battery capacity with new firmware

I just started to test how long the battery lasts and thought a thread were observations can be reported could be a good idea.

After 24 hours the battery indicator is showing 70%.

With old firmware I got 4-5 days so it will be fun to see how long it lasts now.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Good, keep us informed.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Vesper
Addict
Vesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheeseVesper can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-350, Cybook Gen3, Palm T|X
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
After 24 hours the battery indicator is showing 70%.
You turned it on and left for 24h? Without reading?

I wanted to do some testing too but since I read a lot it would be too much hassle (not to mention time to get used to) to get back to my palm TX. What I noticed is:
- battery meter is now more reliable. No more reading for 5 hours straight with battery down by only 10%.
- I'm doing much more lookups with introduction of event buffering thingie. Still want lookup to be more accessible though. It's PITA to click so much just to get to it. Cybook doesn't have partial refresh, right? So, when I lookup something it takes more then 10 refreshes

Apart from that I think I get basically the same uptime as before...

DrS
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
You turned it on and left for 24h? Without reading?
Yes, and in library mode.

I have a lot of paper books I have to read just now...
Old 06-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

After 44 hours the battery indicator is showing 10%.

This was worse than I thought.
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
After 35 hours of reading; mine is showing 40% with none of the 'old' issues occurring; such as placing bookmarks and remembering last page on...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think you may have a faulty battery, Tommy. Did you buy the "deluxe" version? If you did, it might be worth trying the spare battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
Cybook doesn't have partial refresh, right? So, when I lookup something it takes more then 10 refreshes
It think it does only do a partial screen refresh when you move the word highlight cursor around. It's too quick to be doing a full screen re-draw. Anyone know for sure?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think you may have a faulty battery, Tommy. Did you buy the "deluxe" version? If you did, it might be worth trying the spare battery.
I do not think so. Why do you think it is faulty? Other people have reported exactly the same thing with the new firmware. And my observations also started with the new firmware. I did not buy the deluxe version.

Now 45 hous later the cybook has turned off. It was in library mode all the time except when I updated the battery meter.

Maybe I should reflash to the old version and repeat the experiment.

If other people do a similar experiment please report the result here.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I do not think so. Why do you think it is faulty?
Because you're getting a battery life that's half what it should be. You should be getting 4-5 days, not under two days. If you had had a spare battery at hand, it would have been a useful test to see if a different battery made any difference.

I've not seen any difference in battery life with the new firmware. I wonder if it's possible that it's only happening on the "old" CyBook hardware?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because you're getting a battery life that's half what it should be. You should be getting 4-5 days, not under two days. If you had had a spare battery at hand, it would have been a useful test to see if a different battery made any difference.

I've not seen any difference in battery life with the new firmware. I wonder if it's possible that it's only happening on the "old" CyBook hardware?
I have not seen anybody doing a proper experiment here to confirm these 4-5 days with the new firmware. A lot of people say they get much less time and some people have downgraded the firmware following Bookeens recommendation.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #12
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I have not seen anybody doing a proper experiment here to confirm these 4-5 days with the new firmware. A lot of people say they get much less time and some people have downgraded the firmware following Bookeens recommendation.
I attempted a similar experiment to tompe's and am getting very similar results -- I'm at 10% after 48 hours with the unit powered on at the library screen -- have been busy the past few days and haven't used the Cybook.

At least for some of us, the newer firmware is causing faster battery drain.

I don't have a spare battery to play with (yet).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #13
AMT
AMT began at the beginning.

Device: CYBOOK
battery drain

I have same perception. The newer firmware is causing faster battery drain
AMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #14
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I left mine on overnight - it was 70% when I last checked it about oh, noon. And by the next morning (7am) it was completely out of a charge. The drain definitely feels much, much faster with the new firmware.

It also feels like I lose charge even faster when actively reading, although I don't have hard figures from before the firmware update. Just that it feels like I'm 'always' having to recharge.

Not that it's still not much better than a pda or laptop, but it's not as impressive as I'd hoped.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #15
GoneNova
Enthusiast
GoneNova is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4,Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One, Libra2
I wonder how reliable the gauge is. Yesterday I turned it on and it was at 80%. I started moving around in the library, and saw it jump up to 90%. Weird.
GoneNova is offline   Reply With Quote