Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch won't search local documents

I've had the Touch a couple of months but hadn't paid any real attention to the search capability. Now I'm trying to search documents and it finds nothing. I've tried locally produced documents and I've tried books. Searching Wikipedia works fine but in books, when I search for a word I know is there, it immediately pops to a page which says it has 0 results. I've tried waiting to see if it is just slow. Nothing changes.

I've tried the 20 second reset. That didn't fix it.

Ideas?

-----Paul-----
#Touch
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright2 View Post
I've had the Touch a couple of months but hadn't paid any real attention to the search capability. Now I'm trying to search documents and it finds nothing. I've tried locally produced documents and I've tried books. Searching Wikipedia works fine but in books, when I search for a word I know is there, it immediately pops to a page which says it has 0 results. I've tried waiting to see if it is just slow. Nothing changes.

I've tried the 20 second reset. That didn't fix it.

Ideas?

-----Paul-----
#Touch
Sounds like indexing is stuck. You can't search content that has not been indexed.

To check, go to Home, type '.' in the search box, and 'Go'. It should say 'No Results Returned' if it is done indexing. Otherwise it will display an item something like 'items to be indexed', and if you tap that it will show a list of the items that haven't been indexed. If one of your items is corrupt, or has a DRM signature that does not match your Kindle, then indexing may get stuck on that item and the rest will remain unindexed. At least that has been the behavior with previous Kindle models.

You may need to connect to a computer to remove the offending item. Note that PDF files are not indexed so you have to open those individually to search for text in them.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
pwright2
Connoisseur

Yes, I get 'No Results Returned'. And if I search on a common word I get a hit on my notes file and one other. That's all. Searching in a document has always gotten me 'No Results'.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Breed92014
Enthusiast
Breed92014 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3
This happened to me when I downloaded a lot of books all at one time. I finally fixed it by deleting the offending books and redownloading them. After a few minutes, searching started working properly.
Breed92014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
pwright2
Connoisseur

So, last night I moved everything off the Touch to my PC. I mean everything. Copied all of the folders that are visible over USB. Then I did a 'Restore to Factory Defaults' . I have slowly been copying files back to the Touch. Search seems to be working, my 'Active Content' Apps seem to work (after I restored the active content folders). Everything should be great ... except ...

I can't create Collections. The Create New Collection selection on the main menu is there ... but it is greyed out.

Damn nuisance. Anybody know of a solution?

-----Paul------
Advert
Old 02-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright2 View Post
So, last night I moved everything off the Touch to my PC. I mean everything. Copied all of the folders that are visible over USB. Then I did a 'Restore to Factory Defaults' . I have slowly been copying files back to the Touch. Search seems to be working, my 'Active Content' Apps seem to work (after I restored the active content folders). Everything should be great ... except ...

I can't create Collections. The Create New Collection selection on the main menu is there ... but it is greyed out.

Damn nuisance. Anybody know of a solution?

-----Paul------
Factory restore unregisters the device - just go into settings and register it again and your collections will work again.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
pwright2
Connoisseur

Wahooo! Thank'ee sire. Not only re-establishes the menu but actually re-establishes the collections I previously had. I have a number of complaints about some of Amazons constraints on the Touch, but there are some cool things too.

Now I need to figure out why Notepad Plus isn't fully functional. Notepad works OK.

Haven't fully tested all the active content yet.

Oh, and the jailbreak screen rotation survived the process.

-----Paul-----
Old 02-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
You're welcome!
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
search, touch