Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Morkl's June Reader

After all these years, I've still never tried Morkl's fixed reader software.

I have a couple questions about it I can't find answers to.

Is June Reader the original software that the PRS-T1 uses, and this is just an update/replacement version?

Does this replace the original reading software? That is, is this seamless to use or will there be two reading programs on the device?

Finally, is it uninstallable?
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
After all these years, I've still never tried Morkl's fixed reader software.

I have a couple questions about it I can't find answers to.

Is June Reader the original software that the PRS-T1 uses, and this is just an update/replacement version?

Does this replace the original reading software? That is, is this seamless to use or will there be two reading programs on the device?

Finally, is it uninstallable?
I believe the "Morkl June reader" was a fixed (bold/italic unreliability solved) and enhanced (install some custom fonts, custom font-sizes, visible clock) replacement for the default reading app, EbookReader.apk, which could be used only with Sony firmware version 1.0.04.12210.

I also think there was something called restore-set-1.0.04.12210 (by user porkupan) which could be used to restore the T1 back to default fw 1.0.04.12210.

N.B. I gave away my PRS-T1 several years ago so have no recent experience to offer. Please bear that in mind before considering doing anything drastic based on the above dredged-up memories

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-26-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: corrected restore-set name
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I didn't see a mention that there was a firmware version limitation just a firmware minimum.
A restore set on newer firmware makes a mess of the reader requiring a lot of intervention to repair. Maybe the only way to uninstall is to do a dump of the drives.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I didn't see a mention that there was a firmware version limitation just a firmware minimum.
A restore set on newer firmware makes a mess of the reader requiring a lot of intervention to repair. Maybe the only way to uninstall is to do a dump of the drives.
I don't know with 100% certainty that Morkl's June reader was firmware-specific to v1.0.04.12210. I used the Morkl installation which did not require the T1 to be rooted. A rooted T1 may have different installation options.

As far as I remember Morkl's work may have started when the current fw version was v1.0.03.11140. It finished with the June reader (June 2012) when the current fw version was v1.0.04.12210. If your T1 is running a later version than that I don't know what your options are - if any. I don't have enough in-depth Android tech knowledge to answer your questions. I moved from Sony to Kobo before anything later than v1.0.04.12210 became available. I think most (all???) the active Sony hackers moved away from Sony once a root option was no longer feasible.

As far as porkupan's restore-sets are concerned, each has the firmware version as part of the zip download name, so I have to assume that they are firmware-specific. I have no idea whether it would be safe to use one of them to attempt a downgrade from a later version. Personally, I wouldn't have risked it when I still had my T1, but that's because I wouldn't have had a clue how to recover from any bricking disaster.

Have you searched the Wiki for more info?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morkls modified reader