Notices

Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #31
Ternover
Enthusiast
Ternover began at the beginning.

Device: PB 302, IQ, Archos 70IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainycat View Post
I was able to connect to 128bit WEP via an ASCII key.

That's interesting regarding the channel; I wonder if that setting determines which channel PB starts looking on, and then scans through until it finds a live one?
Hummm, that sounds like a possibility on why it is always showing channel 1.

So, if you can use 128bit with ASCII key then at least we know the PB does 128bit.

Then I still think that trying the idea of the 0x (zero followed by lower case x) + the 26 char HEX key might work. It's worth a shot. When you think about it, since there is no place to signify hex vs ascii in the keyboard, then how would the PB know HEX key is being entered unless you let it know.

Guessing here. I'd like to know if that works.

Last edited by Ternover; 06-10-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Ternover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #32
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternover View Post
Hummm, that sounds like a possibility on why it is always showing channel 1.

So, if you can use 128bit with ASCII key then at least we know the PB does 128bit.

Then I still think that trying the idea of the 0x (zero followed by lower case x) + the 26 char HEX key might work. It's worth a shot. When you think about it, since there is no place to signify hex vs ascii in the keyboard, then how would the PB know HEX key is being entered unless you let it know.

Guessing here. I'd like to know if that works.
Sorry, I couldn't get any connection with this idea ....

me thinks I'm going to have to try connecting with the security disabled, and then work backwards ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #33
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
Would it be at all possible to try changing the channel to <13 (ideally 1) on the router? Obviously, that will break all your other devices for the duration of the test though.

Do we know what protocols the PB302 supports? I don't recall seeing the spec anywhere, and I never checked my router to see if PB302 was connecting via 802.11b or 802.11g. At this pricepoint, I seriously doubt the PB302 supports 802.11n.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #34
Ternover
Enthusiast
Ternover began at the beginning.

Device: PB 302, IQ, Archos 70IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
Sorry, I couldn't get any connection with this idea ....

me thinks I'm going to have to try connecting with the security disabled, and then work backwards ....
I'll see if I can give it a try on mine.......

Ok. I just tried this myself. I changed my router to use 128-bit WEP. I entered my 13 character pass phrase of "This4,testing" which was converted by the router to the 26 character hex key f0262eb7c1b35c62536c9d1a4e.

I tried this in the PB302, entering it in lower case the first time and upper case the next. It worked in both tests.

What I did;
-Under network name chose my SSID. If your SSID name is not showing than enter it under 'Other'.
-Chose the WEP Simple security
-Entered key as above
-Left Network settings at DHCP (assuming you use that).
-Set the Proxy setting to 'Off'.
-Tried the test connection.

As with the other times I tried, the PB still indicates it is on channel 1 yet I did not change my channel on the router to match. That channel mismatch sure it misleading when trying to troubleshoot connection. It would be nice to know what it really means in the PB.
Ternover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:42 AM   #35
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternover View Post
I'll see if I can give it a try on mine.......

Ok. I just tried this myself. I changed my router to use 128-bit WEP. I entered my 13 character pass phrase of "This4,testing" which was converted by the router to the 26 character hex key f0262eb7c1b35c62536c9d1a4e.

I tried this in the PB302, entering it in lower case the first time and upper case the next. It worked in both tests.

What I did;
-Under network name chose my SSID. If your SSID name is not showing than enter it under 'Other'.
-Chose the WEP Simple security
-Entered key as above
-Left Network settings at DHCP (assuming you use that).
-Set the Proxy setting to 'Off'.
-Tried the test connection.

As with the other times I tried, the PB still indicates it is on channel 1 yet I did not change my channel on the router to match. That channel mismatch sure it misleading when trying to troubleshoot connection. It would be nice to know what it really means in the PB.
and yours worked okay .... mmmm . interesting ...

I have all those you have indicated, including a 26 chr passkey.

Seems I might have to look harder at the router, rather than the PB; although I have 2 wireless lap/net books linking in without any problem each day; and my kids have no problems when they arrive, that includes 2 more laptops, PSPs, and an HTC phone loggin on via wifi ....

very strange and discomknockerating ....
Advert
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 AM   #36
brainycat
PocketBook 302 FTW!
brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.brainycat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 302, upgraded from PRS-600
You might try taking the PB to another wifi network to see if you can get on ANY other network. I know the PSP and HTC don't support 802.11n, so we can rule out that possible issue.
brainycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #37
remlap
Enthusiast
remlap began at the beginning.

Device: none
When I put my router in WEP the 302 connects brilliantly, WPA no chance. VERY ODD.
remlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #38
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
What kind of router do you have? And whats the lenth of your WPA key?
Did you try both settings on the 302 (WPA-Enterprise and WPA-PSK) ?
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:18 AM   #39
remlap
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulli View Post
What kind of router do you have? And whats the lenth of your WPA key?
Did you try both settings on the 302 (WPA-Enterprise and WPA-PSK) ?
I have a D-link DSL-2640R password length is ten and alphanumeric.

WEP key I generated was just letters though.

And tried both settings.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:43 AM   #40
GeoffC

How long was the WEP key ?
My router generates a 26chr one (at 128bit protection), although I think only 22 chrs are recognised by WinXP..
Old 06-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #41
remlap
Enthusiast

10 Hex digits
Old 07-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #42
remlap
Enthusiast

Anyone else having these problems?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #43
TomeRaider
Enthusiast
TomeRaider began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy, Sony PRS505, PB 302, PB 360
I run my routing on wep 64bit with a 10 digit code and have no issues. I did have it on wpa-psk also with a 10 digit code and that worked as well but not always consistently. I found at times it wouldn't connect with dynamic DHCP and there appeared to be DHCP lease time issues. I tried configuring with static ip and wpa-psk and that worked without issue.

In conclusion wep with 64 bit and dynamic DHCP works 100% of the time for me when I access using mini-browser, webkit browser and RSS feeds. I cannot get the Bookland app to work at all and I've tried pretty much everything I can on that one. There is unfortunately no way to determine why it doesn't work.
TomeRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #44
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
I'm having problems connecting to my router when I use WPA. I will not use WEP as I consider that to be unsecure. When I upgraded my router from 11g to 11n I was able to set up two access points. My old router has become a guest access point which is wide open (but not on my home network). I connect to that one with my PB.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #45
TomeRaider
Enthusiast
TomeRaider began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy, Sony PRS505, PB 302, PB 360
Neither wep or wpa are secure - both have flaws.
TomeRaider is offline   Reply With Quote