Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
How to Beat a Book Ban

(MODS - I don't think this is PR, but if I am wrong, please move)

From The Guardian:

How to Beat a Book Ban: Students, Parents, and Librarians Fight Back

A story about three high school librarians battling book bans in the United States. My favorite bit:

Quote:
“I just have so much admiration for the kids who pick that book off the shelf, walk through a library full of other teenagers, and come up to the circulation desk, to me, this 62-year-old woman, who they probably don’t know very well, some might not know me at all,” Hickson said, noting that the book’s cover illustration is a pride flag.

“Every time a kid hands you a book that they’ve chosen to read, they’re handing you a little insight into themselves. I admire the backbone that it takes for a 14, 15, 16-year-old to hand you This Book is Gay.”
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:12 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
I find banned book lists to be an amazingly good thing.

They highlight the books that They don't want you to read.

But the act of banning books is terrible, please keep your views out of my access to books. If you don't like a book, don't want your kid reading it, etc. then don't read it and tell your kid not to read it. That is where your jurisdiction ends.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2022, 09:52 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I’ve moved this from the General forum to Reading Recommendations since it’s about books in general and not ereading in particular. Please be mindful to avoid the partisan political. I’ll delete posts that cross the line and move the thread if things get out of hand. That said, carry on.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:06 AM   #4
CubGeek
Connoisseur
CubGeek began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle basic
As Levar Burton said, "So, read the books they’re banning. That’s where the good stuff is. If they don’t want you to read it, there’s a reason why."
CubGeek is offline   Reply With Quote