Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
How to make epub flowable ?

Sorry, I tried to use the search but stumble into to much troubles. (dyslectic)

I got some epubs that are made with a scanner from a friend.
He converted it into epub, they are not copyrighted and can be downloaded freely.
The problem is, the text isn't flowable.
The words run out of the screen of my sony 650 or PRS-T1
Is there a way to do undo this ?
There are no funny tables inside and only simple <p> tags.
I think he had done something awful wrong, maybe converted it from .pdf
But I am to afraid to ask him to do the 60 books again
I have the books original myself but they almost fall apart, they are from the time I was a child, more then 35 years ago.

I think the right term must be re-flowable by the way but I could not edited it anymore

Last edited by Nick_1964; 04-06-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's hard to advise you, without actually seeing the epub code. It does sound like PDF content, perhaps saved as graphics, not actual text.

Perhaps further detail is in order, and if this material truly is public domain, an example of the code for examination. (If it's not public domain, we at MR can't legally help you.)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #3
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
If the scanned text is embedded as an image inside the epub that would explain things. A scanner itself is not going to be make reflowable text. You would some kind of OCR to convert the text in the images into an actual text file which could then be used to create an epub.

But as Steven suggested, unless we could see the file itself - or at least a sample, it might be difficult to tell what the issue is.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
If the epubs contain text, you might be best converting them to .txt files using calibre, then performing mass search and replaces to remove or add carriage returns. It's hard to say without seeing the files.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Are you sure it's epub? Sounds more like a pdf to me.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2012, 04:04 AM   #6
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Its epub, the writer died a long time ago.
http://waterman.mine.nu/~wood/index.php (in dutch) then look at Proza / Bob Evers serie
You see a PDF and a epub, but the e-pub is badly formed.
It is a kind of flowable but not ok ( see what happens if you watch it in ADE and make the screen big)
I did managed to change the content of the css in:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
  <title></title>
  <link href="../Styles/style001.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>
table.main {}
 tr.row {}
 td.cell {}
 div.block {}
 div.paragraph {}
h1 {text-align:center;}
h2 {text-align:center;}
h3 {text-align:center;font-weight: bold;font-size: 1.44449em;}
p {margin: 0;}
body, div, p, h1, h2, h3, h4, none { margin: 0; }
Then with massive replace with sigil I change every code to <p> and </p>
Then it is completely reflowable but it's massive work.
I was hoping there is a shorter way..
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote