Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
JurassicPunk
JurassicPunk began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Stuck in firmware update mode

Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate if you could look at my problem and maybe offer suggestions as to what I can do before sending the unit over to Sony...

I have a prs-505, with the 1.1.01.25200 firmware on it. It all started in Mongolia, where I noticed that sometimes plugging the usb to a computer would not charge the unit... It would say that windows didn't manage to install a correct driver for it, or that there was a malfunction with the device and it appeared as "Uknown Device". Sometimes when the battery was very low it did manage to charge but other times no.

Coming back home, I wanted to add new books so I connect it to my computer and laptop - it used to work on both of them - but the same message crops up - a malfunction - and no drives appear under my computer.

It kind of bummed me so I thought maybe the problem was that a virus put itself on the book (since some of the computers in Mongolia fucked up my disk on key and iaudio player that way), so I wanted to flash the device.

I downloaded the latest universal flasher, and it loaded the menu, but then I accidently pressed the "enter update mode" option. And since then, the prs-505 is stuck in that mode and I can't get it out.

I bought a PSP charger so battery is no problem. Tried the soft reset 10 times, tried a hard reset (doesn't do shi*), tried to put the same SD card in - no luck.

It is either in the "update failed" screen when not connected to a computer through usb or in the "updating now" screen when connected - but since as a usb device it "malfunctions", the official updater doesn't recognize the device.

Is there some way for a lower access through the usb? forcing it to install a driver or something? An even harder reset? Anything?? Is there a way to reverse the "enter update mode"?

Hopefully someone can help I'm open to ANY suggestion...

E.W.
JurassicPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Have you tried the official updater on both computers - I seem to recall that at one point, for me it worked on one laptop where it wouldn't work on another.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Go to the sony website and download the firmware for your world area. Open up this firmware program, then plug in your 505 to your computer via USB. Allow the program to proceed and reflash your firmware. You won't lose any books or files. If you've used the customizer, you'll have to redo this process...hope this helps!
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
JurassicPunk
JurassicPunk began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Unfortunately, I can't use the official updater... I tried it, on both computers.... Since the computer doesn't recognize the reader through USB, the updater program doesn't see the device as connected...

Is there maybe a way to update the firmware through the SD slot? Or does it stop looking there once it is in "update mode"?
JurassicPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Normally the official updater's able to detect it even when the device won't be recognised as a USB device - only other thing to suggest is trying different USB ports if more than 1 on the PCs too.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert