Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I've always preferred YYYY-MM-DD. Sorts really nicely too.

I'll mention that I've had this bug bite me exactly once, on one chapter transition on one book. It's definitely got something to do with the epub formatting.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:01 AM   #17
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
2.3.2 - he's already using 2.3.1
Ah yes thanks for that. I corrected the type in original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Interestingly, I just realized that I mentioned below that 2.3.1 was apparently 6 months old, and nobody called me on it. Who at Kobo thought that labeling the release (r45611, 12/7/12) was intelligent? I could have sworn we beat that out of even American programmers 30 years ago. At least 2.3.2 is labeled "20 Dec 2012".
Hahaha!! I read "6 months" and registered "6 weeks" somehow and just thought "yeah that's about right"!

I completely agree with the stupidness of labelling international firmware with "wrong way round" days&months. Glad they seemed to change that in 2.3.2, I hadn't noticed.

Thanks for your own correction!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
I only seem to get this when using books I have converted or edited the meta/cover with Calibre. Not had the problem with kepubs or things I have downloaded already in epub format.

Quick question to auspex:

Are you Auspex from The Fossil Forum?
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Small fonts at chapter change seem to be one of the numerous "features" that came with 2.3.1. On my Kobo Touch, I press the Home button, then re-open the book: the pages are properly displayed again.
I also noticed:
- Abnormal (enormous) battery consumption or measurement by software (also malfunctions of auto sleep and power off: this morning my Kobo was on though auto power off is set to 15 mn): Did someone notice this issue? Or is my battery (the Kobo is just one year old) already dead?
- Numerous problems with last cover display: early 2.0 versions always displayed the previous book. 2.3 is often unable to "remember" some book covers. Does not depend upon the book. If I delete/reload it with Calibre, the issue often disappears.
etc...
Seems that this 2.3 series is a dismal failure like Windows Millenium or Vista...
Francois_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #20
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois_C View Post
I also noticed:
- Abnormal (enormous) battery consumption or measurement by software (also malfunctions of auto sleep and power off: this morning my Kobo was on though auto power off is set to 15 mn): Did someone notice this issue? Or is my battery (the Kobo is just one year old) already dead?
I haven't noticed enormous battery consumption, but I have seen it occasionally not go even to Sleep mode, if it goes as far as Sleep, it always powers off eventually.

Quote:
- Numerous problems with last cover display: early 2.0 versions always displayed the previous book. 2.3 is often unable to "remember" some book covers. Does not depend upon the book. If I delete/reload it with Calibre, the issue often disappears.
Definitely. I think I've determined that a power-off cycle will fix that (when the cover displayed in "sleep" was wrong, the cover displayed when powered off seemed always to be right). Still, most of these bugs seem fairly random, and just because that's worked the last two times, I'm not prepared to say it will work next time!

Quote:
Seems that this 2.3 series is a dismal failure like Windows Millenium or Vista...
It seems I'm about the only person on the planet who never had a problem with those - but then I haven't been a serious Windows user for a very long time.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Quick question to auspex:

Are you Auspex from The Fossil Forum?
No. The cad - stealing my identity!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:55 AM   #22
Francois_C
Zealot
Francois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipseFrancois_C can illuminate an eclipse

Grates tibi ago, Auspex! (even if you are not a fossil member, your screen name may mean you know Latin
A power-off cycle is not generally enough to refresh the cover on my Touch, but I agree with you: these bugs seem to be fairly random.
As for battery over-consumption or rather misevaluation, it did not happen since my last post. But once, I met my Kobo asking for battery recharge though it had been plugged to the computer for at least 30 minutes rather shortly before.
Maybe a process that keeps working in the background? I noticed the same phenomenon on a Mio PDA in 2006. The cursed Microsoft Activesync kept running all the time, woke up randomly and exhausted the battery.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #23
auspex
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois_C View Post
Grates tibi ago, Auspex! (even if you are not a fossil member, your screen name may mean you know Latin
You're welcome. On the Internet, we all speak Latin (thank-you, translate.google.com!)

Quote:
A power-off cycle is not generally enough to refresh the cover on my Touch, but I agree with you: these bugs seem to be fairly random.
Well, I said it probably wouldn't work the next time, and sure enough it hasn't. My latest book, loaded via Calibre, refuses to reset the cover after three power-off cycles.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 AM   #24
Francois_C
Zealot

In my last message I noticed an enormous battery consumption.
This morning I found my Kobo, which was normally working last night, off, with message "Veuillez recharger votre liseuse" (please, recharge your e-reader).
It became completely autistic. It does not react at all when I plug a charger or a computer. No light. Nothing happens.
I already experienced the same problem: I was offered a Kobo for 2011 Christmas. It displayed the same message, and it was never able to do anything else. I brought it back to "La Fnac" (the French reseller of Kobo). I had to wait for a new one for more than one month. I got a new one in late January or early February 2012. And this one is dead within one year. Maybe I have it changed, but I certainly will switch to another e-reader.
[Some time later]
I must correct this message: the Kobo stayed unresponsive for several hours, and even the LED would not react when I plugged it to a charger or a computer. As the first Kobo I got had the same (lack of) behavior, and "once bitten, twice shy", I concluded it was dead. But in the end, when I plugged it again and again, the little LED shined again, the battery was displayed as if it was exhausted. After a charge, the Kobo is working again! And the battery consumption seems to be lower (to the moment). I keep thinking there is a parasite process in the software (v2.3.1).

Last edited by Francois_C; 02-09-2013 at 06:00 AM.