Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 11:42 AM   #346
zed01
zed01 began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen cybook gen3
after a 9 days silence I have received an answer from Bookeen. so seems they are back
zed01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #347
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it's gone missing in the mail (and you can't blame Bookeen for that) can you not make a claim on the mail insurance? You did have insurance for mailing something that valuable, surely?
Yes, Harry, I do. Not a whole lot, as it's not all that valuable (IMHO). However, unfortunately THE THING is not lost - it's just Bookeen falling asleep for a week or two, while the mail piled up. I have a word for them (after 3 weeks), advising me that their technicians are hard at work at it... Must be painful.

I wonder how long does it take a French technician to figure out a thing like that... And how many French technicians are actually needed to do this. It should not be above 24 hours, or one workday, as this is really not a complicated thing - either a crack or a controller problem. However, considering the amount of holidays and vacations that French are absolutely obligated to take, I expect that I will not hear from them anytime soon.

Anyhow, I believe that they have to either send it to an original manufacturer, or just make the answer up, they have no clue themselves.
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #348
Scnaps
Scnaps began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook gen3 (new edition)
broken screen

Hello!

I bought my cybook at May this year. It worked just fine until yesterday evening when I tried to do little reading on a bus trip. The screen only displays boot image with black and white horizontal lines all over it. The device had been safe in my jacket´s breast pocket since the last use, so physical damage shouldn't be the cause.

Any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kopio cybook.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	324.7 KB
ID:	18691  
Scnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 AM   #349
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A classic picture of a fractured screen substrate, I'm afraid - the thin glass layer under the plastic outer screen has physically broken. Could you perhaps have inadvertently put some sort of "twisting" force on the machine while it was in your jacket pocket?

Unfortunately this is not a warrenty repair. Bookeen will charge you €120 to fix it.

Sorry .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #350
roncri
Enthusiast
roncri began at the beginning.

Welcome to the club of "Those who treated their CyBook with kid gloves and still had the screen crack".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scnaps View Post
Hello!

I bought my cybook at May this year. It worked just fine until yesterday evening when I tried to do little reading on a bus trip. The screen only displays boot image with black and white horizontal lines all over it. The device had been safe in my jacket´s breast pocket since the last use, so physical damage shouldn't be the cause.

Any opinions?
roncri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #351
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You have two choices. Pay to get it fixed or buy a different unit.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #352
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Unfortunately this is not a warrenty repair. Bookeen will charge you €120 to fix it.
It is more correct to say that if you have not mistreated your Cybook then Bookeen is responsible for fixing it but they refuse to accept that you have not mistreated the device.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #353
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
It is more correct to say that if you have not mistreated your Cybook then Bookeen is responsible for fixing it but they refuse to accept that you have not mistreated the device.
Carrying it around in a jacket pocket (especially without the case), it would be extremely vulnerable, I would have thought. I don't think we need look for "mysterious" causes for that kind of breakage.

All eInk devices need to be treated with a certain degree of care, and all such devices have reports of broken screens; there's certainly no reason to suppose that the CyBook is any more or less prone to breakage than any other device.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:17 PM   #354
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Carrying it around in a jacket pocket (especially without the case), it would be extremely vulnerable, I would have thought. I don't think we need look for "mysterious" causes for that kind of breakage.
Sure. If you cause the harm yourself it is not a warranty repair. But you seemed to say that a broken screen never can be a warranty repair which is wrong. It annoys me when companies tries to pretend that certain problems is not covered.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #355
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Sure. If you cause the harm yourself it is not a warranty repair. But you seemed to say that a broken screen never can be a warranty repair which is wrong.
Certainly I'm not saying that - your own screen failure was covered by warranty, wasn't it? But yours was, I believe, a controller failure? It's rather more difficult to demonstrate how a physical fracture of the screen substrate, which is what we clearly have in this case, could result from anything other than a knock or some other force being applied to the machine.

Bookeen have certainly demonstrated, in recent months, a willingness to replace screens under warranty where there is no evidence of damage caused by the user.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:28 PM   #356
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Certainly I'm not saying that - your own screen failure was covered by warranty, wasn't it? But yours was, I believe, a controller failure? It's rather more difficult to demonstrate how a physical fracture of the screen substrate, which is what we clearly have in this case, could result from anything other than a knock or some other force being applied to the machine.
I recently bought new impact resistant windows for my home (I live in FL so Hurricanes are a big possibility)... they are guaranteed not to break... and are replaced for free if they break for ANY reason. Also there is insurance coverage if a thief gets in through one of the windows.

Perhaps CyBook should look at using a different piece of glass.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:03 PM   #357
dki
Connoisseur
dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim X5; RCA 1100; Augen The Book, PRS350x2, Sony T1, Kobo AuraHD
That is what I got from Bookeen:

"The team checked up your device. The display is indeed broken. This is due to a choc or a pressure applied on the left side of the device.

As the broken parts are not covered by the warranty, we invite you to issue a 121.30€ payment (100€ for parts and labour + 21.30€ for shipment).

Once you will fill the following form in, we will be able to send you back a replacement device."

I really liked the "chock" part, I'm sure my Cybook was "chocked" to be left at the bedside table. Basically, the broken parts are not covered, unfortunately Bookeen is not willing to get into why's of the broken parts. I have emailed them asking for photos of the actual fracture they claim they can see, and/or some kind of analysis as to what could have caused the damage (and I mean really, not chock!!). Absolutely no response whatsoever, just your basic give me your $$$ and that's that. The French team is unable to submit any actual proof of the "chock" or pressure. In my opinion, Harry, they are certainly unwilling to present ANY evidence of the damage being caused by the owner whatsoever. None. Zero. The statement about team checking on my device IS NOT A PROOF. It's just a statement - and I say there was no damage - the device just failed for no reason. Here - there's your proof that they are wrong.

Anyhow, since somebody else is risking this repair and shipment at their cost, this was paid for (against my advice, but I guess people have to experience the French way firsthand to believe it). For the past week - nothing. No confirmation, no proof of shipment. Total silence. Despite my emails. That is the way to treat a customer - I can only be truly grateful that it's not a French car, or I would be unable to commute to work, and would be unable to even estimate when I will be able to resume doing so.

However, I truly cannot say I'm chocked. The new owner is, though, right off the bat. This is probably the last French item she'll purchase in a loooong time.

Last edited by dki; 12-04-2008 at 08:09 PM.
dki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 AM   #358
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dki View Post
I can only be truly grateful that it's not a French car, or I would be unable to commute to work, and would be unable to even estimate when I will be able to resume doing so.
No then GM, Ford or Chrysler................ Let's see which of those you can still buy in a year from now.......

And NO I'm not French myself, and NO I don't own a French car, but I must admit that I used to own an old Peugeot 205 and that one was much more reliable than all the Opels my family ever owned....
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:50 AM   #359
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Perhaps CyBook should look at using a different piece of glass.

BOb
The screen (controller + substrate) is a single module supplied by Netronix. There is no other source for it, and hence no "different piece of glass" available, unfortunately!

Screens using a flexible plastic substrate should become available during 2009; these should, one would imagine, significantly reduce screen failures.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #360
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
This thread is like a B monster movie. Just when you think it is finally dead it lurches back to sentience and lurches around the forum again. Reminds me of GM actually.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, cybook, screen