Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
ReaderAtFargo
eBookLover
ReaderAtFargo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iLiad
Problems beyond page 1000 (PRS-505)

I'm converting .txt files to .pdf files with all required page and font sizes using the MS Word 2007 in-built converter. The pdf files come up big, usually, with more than 1000 pages. Two problems...

1) It takes about 10-15 seconds for PRS-505 to turn a page if the number of pages in a book (i.e., the size of the pdf file) is large;

2) In both the eBook Library and the PRS-505 reader all pages after page 1000 are coming out plain blank. If I open the pdf file with Adobe Acrobat directly from within the PRS-505 directory, the file is okay. Go figure...Now I'm splitting the large books into two or three smaller books in order to be able to read them!

I have both iLiad (me) and PRS-505 (my wife). There is no place for comparison. iLiad is much better in pretty much all aspects (except the price, of course). Oh, by the way, calling the Sony tech support is a waste of time.
ReaderAtFargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Just curious, why make a PDF? I'd think an LRF would be more efficient. The book I have loaded right now (LRF) is 2,457 pages (in Medium size) so far no problems (on page 1542). IMO for anything but stuff like tech documents that might need it PDF is the worst possible format for ebooks. Heck, some PC's have problems with PDF's when they get that large.

Also Word's converter could be the issue, maybe see if you can find a really long book on Feedbooks and download the Sony formatted PDF to see if it has the same issues. I love the format for pre-press purposes, but for ebooks it's not very good.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-02-2008 at 03:33 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I don't even think going as far as LRF is really necessary, I read giant RTFs on my 505 almost exclusively. I've had no trouble opening or turning pages in any RTF books over 1000 pages, including some that hit 2000.
The only downside to RTF is that it takes longer for the device to do the initial formatting when you first open the book. After that, though, unless you make changes to the document it opens right up without a delay, even the truly huge books.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
ReaderAtFargo
eBookLover

The reason I’m using the pdf format is that it allows my wife to read non-English books (she’s Bulgarian). It seems to me that only pdf’s can properly display non-English characters by embedding Cyrillic and other fonts.

To troubleshoot the problem with the “sudden blank-page death” at page 1001, I did a small experiment. I opened in Word 2007 a large plain text file and then saved it in pdf format using the three available converters:

(1) the embedded in the Word 2007 pdf converter (Save as pdf)
(2) the quick pdf converter, and
(3) the fully functional pdf converter

The last two converters are available in MS Word 2007 as add-ins only if you have the full Adobe Acrobat installed. Long story short, the file converted using the embedded in the Word 2007 pdf converter was the only one in which the pages after page 1000 disappeared.

I do not want to make big conclusions, but it seems that people who read large books (more than 1000 pages) in languages and fonts other than English have only one option, to convert their books with Adobe Acrobat and avoid using the “save as pdf” option in MS Word 2007.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
This is a well known problem with PDF.
If you create pdfs with fonts that are not included in Sony Reader (embeded fonts?), then it will be very slow. The same will happen to LRF btw., if you create LRF books in Bulgarian.

There are two ways around it.

1. Add cyrillic fonts to sony reader as it is described on Russian ebook forum

or

2. you can try this service if it works:
fb2pdf if the source of your books is fb2. This service will convert fb2 to pdf ready for Sony Reader. You will have no problems reading pdfs created on this site.

Although way no. 1 is much better. There was an English speaking member on this forum who has translated Russian instructions to English, because he wanted to prepare his second sony reader for his Russian gf.

Hope it helps.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Here are the two topics started by DrMoze

HELPED! Bricked my 500 trying to Russify....

Russian books (and menus) on the Reader?

Good luck!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #7
ReaderAtFargo
eBookLover

Thank you for the advise. The cyrillization of PRS-505 seems the way to go...