Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
oivavoi
Enthusiast
oivavoi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
Download pdfs or books directly to rooted Nook Touch?

Hey everyone,
I am leaning towards purchasing a Nook Touch through a friend in the US (I live in Norway), since I've read so many raving reviews of it, and it seems perfectly fitted for my needs.

I have searched through the forums, and haven't been able to find out about two things - concerning the possibilities of a rooted Nook Touch.

First thing:
- I've understood that you can't download books through the B&N store outside the US (so for me the option would be to download books to my mac and transfer them to the Nook through USB). What I wonder is: If you root the device, can you purchase books directly to the device through other online stores using wifi? Anyone who tried this?

Second thing:
- I know that you can't download pdfs directly to the device as it comes from B&N. But if you root it, is there any way to do this?

Hope someone can help me out!

cheers
oivavoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #2
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
dunno about purchasing books from other sources via wifi since i don't buy DRM'd material...

have been using ssh and a terminal app on my 'upgraded' Nook, and can easily access my iMac

but since i only transfer books via USB (much easier/faster) i haven't tried wifi transfer... you could try:

http://www.lysesoft.com/products/andftp/

(note: i have not tried this app, but will at some point)

btw, you may want to read up on how to register your Nook Touch (must have an U.S.-based IP, IIRC?) ... once registered, and with your gmail account, 'upgrading' is simple and easy

i quite enjoy my Nook Touch now; it works as advertised with few problems, and a number of useful apps and games are only a 'touch' away via Go Launcher EX (the 'droid UI)

hth
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
oivavoi
Enthusiast
oivavoi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 950
Thanks!
The app looks promising, but I guess I won't know if it works till I can try it out on a nook.

I know about the registration issue, will look into that
oivavoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #4
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
update: while the andftp app installs and appears to run, i have been unable to connect to an ip-based server on my local network - after specifying the address, the app simply quits when saving settings - will have to do some more experimentation (r/w permission problem?), but for now, the app does not appear to work on the Nook Touch
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote