Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #76
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Sony says (via phone) that the reader is still due out on Oct 2nd, only the case has been delayed....doesn't explain all the weird shipping dates but good to know (if true).
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #77
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Prize opportunity ?

I thinki we should start a poll/lottery on what time of what day the first recieveree of a T-1 notifies the MR Sony section that they've got their sticky mitts on one.
Anywhere in dis world.

Popsicle and karma to the first notifier, karma to the nearest guestimator.

P'raps MR could sponsor the popsicle........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #78
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
well, my delay email is for the reader, since i did not order a case.

so not exactly sure what is happening.
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #79
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I got the email for the case, too - didn't bother me since the red readers aren't due to ship til 10/16 anyway.

Sorry for the people whose readers seem to be lost in Limbo.

Keep us updated!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #80
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Perhaps they wanted to give the early adopters a fair opportunity to cancel their orders, now that we know the $99 Kindle Touch is coming?

I believe this is not the first time Sony lets the product out the door only to pull it back in a few hours later. IIRC, the same thing was happening with PRS-600 two years ago. And the PRS-650 ended up getting an early firmware update. Perhaps the Chinese factory "forgot" to install the latest firmware release while rushing the mass shipments, and some last minute QA realized that they are shipping the Reader with broken firmware, or ADB enabled. So they pulled the units back from FedEx, instead of releasing a public firmware upgrade.

Now, pissing off your very best customers is never a good idea, but that is not the lesson Sony seems to be able to learn.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 PM   #81
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
i should have said i ordered the black and it's still Oct. 2nd, maybe the red is delayed like someone said.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #82
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
i should have said i ordered the black and it's still Oct. 2nd, maybe the red is delayed like someone said.
my order is for the black, and the email i got says 10/16. the site however is still 10/2.

oh well. if it pops out in stores on the 2nd, i'm cancelling.
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #83
azxswq
Connoisseur
azxswq began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1 Black, T2 Black
My NewEgg order seems intact. (RED). But now that Amazon is coming out with a $79 and $99 touch... not sure whether or not I should cancel.

Also, I should point out that this is my first ebook reader, I know about the mico-SD and audio capabilities.. but the $79 no-button version is so cheap, it is hard to justify not to get it. Maybe one each...

What do you guys think?

In the US and from NY City.
azxswq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:26 PM   #84
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by azxswq View Post
My NewEgg order seems intact. (RED). But now that Amazon is coming out with a $79 and $99 touch... not sure whether or not I should cancel.

Also, I should point out that this is my first ebook reader, I know about the mico-SD and audio capabilities.. but the $79 no-button version is so cheap, it is hard to justify not to get it. Maybe one each...

What do you guys think?

In the US and from NY City.

I suspect many people are going to get wishy washy now with what to buy.(once the newness of the kinde announcement wears off this will be the state of things here) Just remember the $79 is with ads on the home page and screensaver. Its $109 without ads.

I wouldnt get one each. I know many people have multiple readers but there is really no rational reason for it.IMO(though many try justify it)

I would do your research and decide on just one.

Last edited by Tony1988; 09-28-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #85
azxswq
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
I suspect many people are going to get wishy washy now with what to buy.(once the newness of the kinde announcement wears off this will be the state of things here) Just remember the $79 is with ads on the home page and screensaver. Its $109 without ads.

I wouldnt get one each. I know many people have multiple readers but there is really no rational reason for it.IMO(though many try justify it)

I would do your research and decide on just one.
Well, that makes sense. But besides micro-sd, it is pretty much software/format differences. The display is identical.. so I guess I am asking... with a software program like Calibre, what are some of the pros and cons in your mind?

For example, they both made pretty good devices, no? From my perspective, the Kindle Fire is a non-starter. (blackbook redux.) but the e-ink readers are too cheap not to get one. Sorry about being wishy washy... being a newbie, I don't even know what I should ask.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #86
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Well, that makes sense. But besides micro-sd, it is pretty much software/format differences. The display is identical.. so I guess I am asking... with a software program like Calibre, what are some of the pros and cons in your mind?

For example, they both made pretty good devices, no? From my perspective, the Kindle Fire is a non-starter. (blackbook redux.) but the e-ink readers are too cheap not to get one. Sorry about being wishy washy... being a newbie, I don't even know what I should ask.

I do know that amazon locks you in by not having epub. Im not sure if you can put books you bought elsewhere on the kindle. You may be able to if you strip the drm through calibre. Anyone who knows more can chime in please.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #87
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The big deal to me is that while you have DRM in both camps, I can at least buy a book from where it is more convenient with the ePub based readers. I get a gift card to Sony? Sure. Kobo? Sounds good. Fictionwise? Why not. With Amazon, your choices are limited to Amazon within the limits of the DRM.

And out of the ePub readers, I keep coming back to Sony because of the polish usually present in the software. It treats personal/side-loaded content like a first class citizen. There is usually nothing different between what I add from Feedbooks vs Sony's own store. Collections/Shelving is mature, and Calibre has so far been able to actually auto-create collections on the Sony for you which is a huge plus. The home screen is also a bit more useful than the competition (Nook, I'm staring at you). The T1 is also able to download and add books from any web page straight on the device itself. This makes it possible to download from places like Baen and Feedbooks without firing up a PC to do it. Or access your private collection that you have hosted somehow (Calibre is supposed to let you do this, but I haven't tried it). This is something even the Kindle can't do. Sadly though, Sony up to this point hasn't supported samples of books on their own store. Will they with the T1? Dunno.

I haven't used the Kindle in a while, but their strengths are pretty much what they said on stage today: the end-to-end services. It isn't just about being able to read the books, but the whole end-to-end experience of buying books, downloading them, etc is very good. And the device experience is competent enough to beat out a lot of the ePub readers with the exception of the Sony in my mind.

So to me, the choice is between the better book buying experience built into the Kindle, and the more "We sell you a device, and while we want you to buy from us, we recognize that books are books no matter what the source" style of the Sony. So in a sense, Amazon is selling you an e-ink portal into their Kindle services, while Sony is selling you an electronic book library you can take with you that can download from the web. It's a bit more about which philosophy matches what you want the device to be.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #88
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:

Here's what you should ask yourself -

Is convenience or flexibility more important to you? Do you keep books and reread them or are you a 'one read and done' reader? Do you prefer old books or new (modern) books? Do you read library books or do you buy (although this question is not as important as it once was, it's still a consideration)? Do you care about style/looks? Is price your primary consideration, or useful features?

Every reader has its pros and cons (and most have some workaround for the 'cons') - but no one here can tell you what's important to you.

I agree you don't need more than one reader - it would be more economical to spend a bit more for one that has the features you want than to buy two different readers.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #89
azxswq
Connoisseur

Thank you guys, you have been very helpful. (Definitely more so than the general new forum... comparing between 4 sets of Kindles.)

After the announcement today, there is much to think about (until Oct. 1st, at least.)

I have pretty much narrowed down to Kindle Touch SO, versus T1... And all points are valid. Just happy to enter the space at this point, versus 1-2 years before. (prior to today, I even ordered 32GB micro-SDs to complement the T1)

Thank you again for your help.

Funny enough, I am actually leaning toward T1. And for no other reason, the color RED. Because it is a gift for my wife, who is a voracious reader.... Remember the iMacs, Steve Jobs is a genius.

Last edited by azxswq; 09-28-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM   #90
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Perhaps they wanted to give the early adopters a fair opportunity to cancel their orders, now that we know the $99 Kindle Touch is coming?
You mean $139 unless you enjoy advertisements on a device you purchased.
log is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sony new model, sony t-1