Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #76
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Went on another search for a reader program after my complaint a few posts up, I'm trying mantano out and my first impressions are favourable the only bad thing I can really say about it is it doesn't seem to give you a font choice but everything else seems to click I may give tablet reading another try.

edit: Found the font choice was just hidden in with the theme stuff so my only complaint so far was down to me not figuring it out immediately, seems like I may have found my reader.

Last edited by Teknikal; 05-06-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #77
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Went on another search for a reader program after my complaint a few posts up, I'm trying mantano out and my first impressions are favourable the only bad thing I can really say about it is it doesn't seem to give you a font choice but everything else seems to click I may give tablet reading another try.

edit: Found the font choice was just hidden in with the theme stuff so my only complaint so far was down to me not figuring it out immediately, seems like I may have found my reader.
Definitely my ePub reader of choice. And I've tried pretty much all of them out there.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #78
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
I actually do mostly use a tablet, but since I'm going to be away from electrical outlets for a while I'm looking into picking up an eInk reader. So I guess battery life and reading outdoors would be my reasons.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #79
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I've had both a backlit device (Nook Color) plus eink devices. For me, it is much more comfortable to read on the eink device. It just became frustrating having to adjust the brightness on the Color to match the environment that I was using. I also believe that for me eyestrain is an issue with the LCD and I can read for longer on the eink.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #80
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The point is: the battery life on a lot of newer tablets is perfectly adequate for a large (and getting larger) subset of the reading public. (snip) It's not exactly the dealbreaker it used to be in choosing a reader.
It isn't exactly a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned either, measuring battery life in weeks instead of hours is certainly a very nice feature.

Very nice feature. One thing that you have to consider about battery life, at least for those of us who use the device day after day, is that good battery life is a major convenience feature. The 5 to 10 hours found in most tablets may be good most of the time, but if you use the device a lot on one day (or use power hungry features more, like the backlight or wireless) it does put a bit of a hitch into the works. Neglect to charge the device one night, perhaps because you were in a rush or fell asleep while reading, and it places an even bigger hitch into the works.

Shorter battery life at the outset also reduces the working life of the device. If a tablet's battery life drops by 50% over the course of a couple of years, it may last through a day of moderate use. If an ereader's battery life drops by 50% over a couple of years, you still have a good week's charge under heavy use.

Like I said, battery life isn't a deal breaker for me. I use a tablet regularly, and I use it for reading. From my experience, reading in sunlight is the biggest concern. The screen is the deal breaker. Yet I'm still going to treat it as one of the most significant features of an ereader, because it is such a wonderful thing to have.
Advert
Old 05-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #81
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
When used in bright light, let alone sunlight, no device using an LCD-display is going to catch up to e-Ink. The LCD-display must overpower the ambient light in brightness to be seen. For the e-Ink display, it's just the other way around: the more ambient light there is, the better the display will be readable.

If I'd take my Kindle outside right now, and go sit in the sun, then the front light effectively does nothing, not even on setting 24. It just isn't bright enough to make a difference. The screen is easily readable though. In the same circumstances, I can't even read my phone or tablet on the highest brightness settings they have.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #82
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
ightness to be seen. For the e-Ink display, it's just the other way around: the more ambient light there is, the better the display will be readable.

If I'd take my Kindle outside right now, and go sit in the sun, then the front light effectively does nothing, not even on setting 24. It just isn't bright enough to make a difference. The screen is easily readable though. In the same circumstances, I can't even read my phone or tablet on the highest brightness settings they have.
My cats like to open my windows when I am reading on my PW and I love that I do not have to change the light setting while they are sunning. It's so adaptable. I leave mine on 8 at all times.

Last edited by Blossom; 05-06-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #83
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post

Mantano is awesome! I've been using it for a couple years now. It's my preferred reading app for my tablets and phone. I even paid the extra for syncing my books.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #84
delph
Tabby
delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Mini, Lenovo Yoga 2 10"
I had a Nook Color for over a year, then moved to a Nook Simple Touch Glow and finally to a Kobo Glo (which I love). I spend all day on a computer, and reading on an LCD was causing eyestrain if I read for more than just a few minutes. I love eInk for being far more comfortable for long stints of reading.

I do have a Nexus 7 tablet as well. I love it for the things I use it for, just not for reading.
delph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #85
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I'll start the discussion by saying that the primary reason that I chose not to use a tablet is the battery life. I can be out and about for some very long times with my ereader.
cool

plus, when you're in the middle of the Sahara there's a good chance an eInk screen would be more useful while you wait death

I have a 5" eInk reader but it's a hassle to carry it around with me. My smartphone is always on my pocket though and that's where most of my reading goes. Luckly, I always have electricity around, though it only really needs a charge at night. Just like me, when I go sleep...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #86
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Mantano is awesome! I've been using it for a couple years now. It's my preferred reading app for my tablets and phone. I even paid the extra for syncing my books.
Aldiko for me. don't know how they make any money off of such a great piece of software offered for free, but best wishes to them.

I also converted my Kindle books into epub and read them on it.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #87
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Battery life, and size--tablets are too big for me. I loved reading on a PalmOS device, would've loved to switch to something similar when my Cliés finally died, but didn't want to have to stop reading in the middle of a book to recharge.

E-ink has spoiled me; I want at least 12 hours of solid reading time from a device, and ideally at least 30 hours. Also want pocket-size. Not interested in an iPad; can't easily read that standing up on the train.

I like e-ink better than backlit screens, but it's not very important to me. I'd prefer "read in dim/no light" over "read easily outdoors;" I don't spend a lot of time in direct sunlight.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #88
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
My phone can do everything a tablet can do.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #89
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Better battery life on my Kindle, I can read it outdoors, it weighs less.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #90
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I find current tablets too heavy to comfortably hold one-handed for extended periods of time. Their screens usually wash out under bright lighting too.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote