Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
natescape
Edge User

Question Can PEs communicate with each other bluetoothily?

I bought three on the Woot offer, one for me and one for each of my kids. Can the devices communicate with each other? If so, are there any multi-player games that my kids (ages 11 and 12) can play with each other?

Eagerly anticipating the arrival of the PEs!

Old 05-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
goodspeech
Edge User

The PE does have bluetooth capability. From the main screen go to settings, then to network controls. You can turn things on there.
As for games, not sure. Although the edge devices can play many games, gaming is not its strength (per my daughter)
Have fun with your new devices.

Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
Filark
Edge User

I don't know of any multi-player games you could play on the eDGe (I will loook for some!), but what a fun idea! You can also connect to a LAN, so might be able to play through that, too, if there are any games.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Kewlcat
Edge User

I thought the bluetooth connectivity was limited to headsets only...not sure about this..

But yeah like Filark said, connecting through LAN is possibility ...
it is a fun idea,let us know how it goes...

Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
goodspeech
Edge User

Thanks Kewlcat for the clarification on bluetooth....i have never used but know the control is there.

Advert
Old 05-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
gecko
Edge User

Some people have reported success with using bluetooth keyboards.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
natescape
Edge User

That's too bad. I was hoping they could use the PEs in the car to play a game with each other. They could, of course, play a game like two player reactor or something on one PE, and they'll be able to watch movies, etc. But they'll only be able to communicate via WiFi, eh? Ah well. Still super excited to get them.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
woodnboats
Edge User

Google "wireless peer-to-peer android". Lots of possibilities.

HTH

Kirk

Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 PM   #9
netrobot
Edge User

Sounds like a development question. Certainly the eDGe can "link" to other Bluetooth devices, and since it uses headsets, it can send and receive. If the actual comm control is not exposed through the API, it may only do audio for some reason. The game would have to be written to support comm by Bluetooth rather than LAN.

Or you could make your phone act as a wireless access point, and as such, a gateway or SWITCH, which would allow two eDGes to talk across the LAN, but even then the game would have to accommodate it.
Most games designed for multi-player use an internet-based server, with an account on that server. That way, people all over the world can play against one another, but more importantly, it can generate RECURRING REVENUE!!! (the two most important words in business school doncha know!)

Old 05-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
Filark
Edge User

There are lots of free games they can play individually, of course. Or they can play the same game separately and compare notes!