Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-31-2008, 03:29 AM   #31
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Yeah, I'm not buying this book until at least twelve people have posted complimenting you on the ease with which it was delivered.
I pressed the "buy" button today at 9:25am and got the email with the download link at 9:28am.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 AM   #32
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
I'm reading "the onuissance", in mobipocket format. However, every paragraph is followed by 2 or more space lines. That means I have to flip pages a lot more frequently. Sometimes, a screen only has 5 - 6 lines.

And it's not about font size, it's about how the text is formated (too much line spacing). Is this the style of the author, or was it due to format conversion?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:44 AM   #33
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

I like having the paragraphs separated like that, I wouldn't say it's improperly formatted.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:33 AM   #34
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I finished the book a few days ago and it continues to come to my thoughts as I go through my day. Steve is rapidly becoming one of my favorite "new" authors. He definitely has an upbeat vision of the future that is tempered by a reality based understanding of the present.

Last edited by pshrynk; 07-31-2008 at 09:40 AM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #35
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I'm reading "the onuissance", in mobipocket format. However, every paragraph is followed by 2 or more space lines. That means I have to flip pages a lot more frequently. Sometimes, a screen only has 5 - 6 lines.

And it's not about font size, it's about how the text is formated (too much line spacing). Is this the style of the author, or was it due to format conversion?
Actually, that is due to the wrong version of the book being converted... it should not have been the doublespaced version. My bad. I'll fix that, and make a mention of it in this thread when I do (give me a few days, please!).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #36
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This Sunday I'm going to Africa for a few weeks. It would be nice to take your ebook with me, but if not possible, I'll pick it up when I return.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #37
mores
Guru

Never mind ... wrong answer.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #38
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Actually, that is due to the wrong version of the book being converted... it should not have been the doublespaced version. My bad. I'll fix that, and make a mention of it in this thread when I do (give me a few days, please!).
So... Is it done?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #39
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
So... Is it done?
Umm... 'fraid not. I have not had time to reprocess the book yet. (I've got a backlog of book conversions that's beginning to frighten me.) Sorry.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #40
mores
Guru

As much as it pains me, I must admit that this was not as good as "As the Mirror Cracks". It was fun to read, fun to be in the world he created and experience it, but somehow the story was tedious. It started out interesting, then babbled on for a while, then it got interesting and hectic, and then it sort of ended again. Maybe I'm too much of an action-junkie to appreciate extensive scene-setting.
What I like about Steve's style is how very often he expects us to know how gadgets work / what they do, even though he invented them and we can't know for sure what they are, only to them explain to us later. Very interesting.

I definately hope we'll all be using electicity from renewable sources soon and electric scooters multiply in numbers! I used to be able to fill my tank with about 7 Euros, last I paid at the gas station was 9,50 Euro.
And when we get electric vehicles, I'll make millions inventing a cool "whirr" operating sound so that pedestrians can hear us coming!

@Steve: any ambitions to write another non-Sci-Fi novel / a noir-style psychological drama with a little mystery thrown in ?