Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 AM   #286
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
To "register" the thing, if I recall correctly, you don't need to fake anything. Just put in whatever you were planning on, and don't bother with a VPN for registering it.
However, when BUYING books, then that is more difficult and you need a VPN and a fake or substitute US billing address.
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #287
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasdt View Post
My father is going on holidays to US and I was thinking of asking him to bring me back (Argentina) the new Nook touch (buying it from a B&N store).
I don't care about warranty and for what I understand, I could buy ebooks from B&N through a VPN or something that hides my IP and pay it with my local credit card. Even if I couldn't do that, there are plenty of sources for epub books so I can copy them to the SD card and get the Nook to read them from there (I thinks it's called side-loading).
My question is, can I register the Nook at all from Argentina? I read on this forum that you'd need to get an IP address and a fisical US address... how can I get that?
I mean, even if I could get behind a proxy or something to get a US IP, where do I get the shipping/billing address? I know it sounds dumb, but honestly I got no idea.
I read someone suggested usunlock, but that's for buying and shipping, I just would need to register it.
Any clues?
Thanks in advanced
You can register your Nook anywhere in the world.
You can buy books using your PC and a VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50).
You can use any valid US address as shipping and billing address. Just google something (for example a hotel in New York). Nothing will be send to this address.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #288
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Just thought I'd add, there are a couple of Nook Touches on Ebay as well.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #289
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It appears some Nook Books can now be purchased with a straight forward Canadian address. But, you can't actually buy a Nook. Because of the funny DRM, am I any further ahead? Can I move a DRM Nook to a Kobo without removing the DRM?

Thanks!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:55 PM   #290
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
B&N does sell nook readers to Canadia .. why do people keep saying they don't?

You are just limited on some of the books at the moment, which |B&N said they are working on that issue.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:59 PM   #291
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, it doesn't sell (ship) Nook readers to Canada. I just tried an hour ago.

It will sell some (and perhaps quite a few more) Nook books now. I am asking ... can I buy Nook ebooks and read them on a Kobo without removing drm? Kobo and Sony can read each other's ebooks ...
Old 06-29-2011, 01:06 AM   #292
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I am asking ... can I buy Nook ebooks and read them on a Kobo without removing drm?
If they are DRM-free books, then yes. A few publishers and most of the indie authors seem to sell DRM-free over @ B&N. I know that those Samhain Publishing romance freebies that get offered every month are always DRM-free for each one that I've tried dragging onto Lucidor to see if it would open, and I suspect their entire catalogue is, too.

However, B&N don't handily mark all their DRM-free books even with a code phrase such as Amazon's "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited" on the product page, so it's a matter of knowing which publishers are DRM-free or trial and error/asking others.

But I think that publishers which offer DRM-free @ other stores will also be DRM-free @ B&N, such as O'Reilly for computer books and Ellora's Cave & Carina Press for romance and e-Reads for mainstream/genre backlist (they sell MultiFormat over at Fictionwise and DRM-free for Kindle) and likely Subterranean Press and Phoenix Pick for sf/fantasy.

Now that the Kobo Touch has DRM-free Mobi support, I hope the Kobo people will be taking advantage of the new version of ADE which is supposed to allow the use of B&N-DRM style books if the developer decides to enable that option. It would greatly expand the Kobo's versatility and possibly give it a slight marketing edge in the bargain.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 01:36 AM   #293
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Hi guys

I am too planning to buy a Nook Touch. I live in Canada and I am planning to drive to Buffalo to buy one. Is the device available or I have good chances to drive there and not to be able to buy one because of a high demand (as for Asus tablets here in Canada for instance) ?
Other than the B&N stores (they have three there) what other stores sell these in US?

Will I be able to register the device in the store even if I don't have US CC and US address?

Are there any protections in place that would prevent the rooting for the new devices ? It might be old news but I red somewhere that B&N put some protection on them?

Have they removed Bluetooth from the new versions or it is still there?

thanks a lot
PF
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:32 AM   #294
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

well that must be a new rule, seeing B&N on their forum were saying only a month ago they did sell to Canada..

The nook will read both Adobe DRM as well as B&N DRM, kobo decided not to support B&N DRM, so you can not read B&N ebooks on a kobo
Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #295
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
well that must be a new rule, seeing B&N on their forum were saying only a month ago they did sell to Canada..

The nook will read both Adobe DRM as well as B&N DRM, kobo decided not to support B&N DRM, so you can not read B&N ebooks on a kobo
I did not try to buy, What I wrote above is based on what I red on the forums. Do you have a link to that please ? Are we sure this is not about books? I know that they relaxed the policy regarding books but not sure about nook itself. Yesterday night I read a message stating that the guy tried yesterday and that option was not available (shipping to Canada )
Old 06-29-2011, 08:57 AM   #296
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I did not try to buy, What I wrote above is based on what I red on the forums. Do you have a link to that please ? Are we sure this is not about books? I know that they relaxed the policy regarding books but not sure about nook itself. Yesterday night I read a message stating that the guy tried yesterday and that option was not available (shipping to Canada )
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35611

Item 5 - Question - Can I buy and use a NOOK if I reside outside the United States?
Answer: No. Barnes & Noble's agreements with publishers require users to have a billing address in the United States. Books and periodicals may only be purchased from within the United States. For details, please see Appendix B of the NOOK User Guide.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:43 AM   #297
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...?cds2Pid=35611

Item 5 - Question - Can I buy and use a NOOK if I reside outside the United States?
Answer: No. Barnes & Noble's agreements with publishers require users to have a billing address in the United States. Books and periodicals may only be purchased from within the United States. For details, please see Appendix B of the NOOK User Guide.
Thanks Tim...so this is supporting my initial message
Old 06-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #298
SensualPoet
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post

It's not a new rule; it is Barnes and Noble corporate policy: no Nooks outside of the US. I'd love to see source of the B&N quote you cite.

So, I guess I am out of luck even buying commercial titles from them if I can only read them on a PC without breaking DRM. However, the fact that many Nook titles are now available for sale to a Canadian IP address attached to a Canadian shipping address and a Canadian credit card -- and definitely were not before -- suggests either a glitch in their software or more likely signing new deals with publishers to extend their selling territory beyond the US.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #299
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
It's not a new rule; it is Barnes and Noble corporate policy: no Nooks outside of the US. I'd love to see source of the B&N quote you cite.

So, I guess I am out of luck even buying commercial titles from them if I can only read them on a PC without breaking DRM. However, the fact that many Nook titles are now available for sale to a Canadian IP address attached to a Canadian shipping address and a Canadian credit card -- and definitely were not before -- suggests either a glitch in their software or more likely signing new deals with publishers to extend their selling territory beyond the US.
Can I expect to have any problems if I go to a Barnes & Nobles store and buy it from there? Will they look at my Visa to see where I live?
Can I register the device from Canada or I should better do it in store while I am there? Is this possible?

I am not planing to buy books from them I just need software updates (I am also thinking about rooting the device) . I have tons of PDF files waiting to be red. I know that touch is not ideal for this but I will give it a try with apps like ezPDF reader ...
Old 06-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #300
iandix
Addict

Quote:
Just go to the B&N support boards and ask there.. Staff answer questions and it was at that site where I saw it

Tags
b&n, barnes and noble, international, nook, overseas