Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 05:35 AM   #1
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
More bells and whistles for Sony readers

According to Endgadget the new readers from sony are just like the old ones but just more bells and whistles. Although they promise that the screens are better than the touch 600.

Quote:
If these legit-looking images are the real deal, you'll be getting a good bit more for your buck -- especially with the Reader Pocket Edition, which apparently finally managed to ditch the directional pad for a lovely E Ink touchscreen.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/19/s...er-on-a-charg/

GJMS
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
They really need to do better than rumors say to compete with the new upcoming devices.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
It looks like there'll still be no full justification. That's really annoying.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
...lovely E Ink touchscreen.
The "lovely" touchscreen is the reason I don't touch my 600, except when porting.
Sigh...

PS
Update:
Oh, they promise to have no layer over eink, interesting.
But if it's "wacom" then it only works with special stylus = can't flip pages with finger.

Last edited by kartu; 08-20-2010 at 08:03 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Quote:
especially with the Reader Pocket Edition, which apparently finally managed to ditch the directional pad for a lovely E Ink touchscreen.
With my PRS-300, I can commute to work by subway reading one-handed. If the new model is touchscreen only, is it possible to turn the page without using two hands?
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46jimbo View Post
With my PRS-300, I can commute to work by subway reading one-handed. If the new model is touchscreen only, is it possible to turn the page without using two hands?
It's not touchscreen only, it has two buttons below the screen for next and previous page. It's looks just like a miniature PRS-600. So reading one-handed should be no problem.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
It looks like there'll still be no full justification. That's really annoying.
I've seen ePub set to not be full justification. So that one photo doesn't have a lot to say one way or the other as to full justification or not. We will have to wait and see what comes from Sony. But yes, I do think they need to have an updated ADE on the new Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
yts06mgr
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
The "lovely" touchscreen is the reason I don't touch my 600, except when porting.
Sigh...

PS
Update:
But if it's "wacom" then it only works with special stylus = can't flip pages with finger.
I think you can use both finger and stylus. All previous Reader models have been supporting both.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No idea what sort of touch screen Sony will be using next. But if it gets rid of the touch layer, that will give them one up on non-touch units.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've seen ePub set to not be full justification. So that one photo doesn't have a lot to say one way or the other as to full justification or not. We will have to wait and see what comes from Sony. But yes, I do think they need to have an updated ADE on the new Readers.
True, but considering this has been a really important issue with many owners, myself included, if they offer full justification you would think they would stress that fact.

I still believe there are way too many flags over that article and its blurry photos to take it seriously. I hope Sony does come out with new readers that can compete, but those photos could just be a hoax. Hoaxes were the norm back in the PDA days when people loved to photoshop an image of their dream PDA and then attempt to pass it off as a new model. Until Sony officially makes an announcement or we see sharp photos of new models, or better still sharp video, I'm not going to get excited. At this point it is still very much a rumor.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Assuming the images aren't fake, it looks as though both units are becoming touchscreen only - I can't see any obvious buttons placed for page turns - so the comment above about one-handed use may become relevant.

But... the lack of obvious buttons is yet another reason why these look fake.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
perost
Enthusiast
perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.perost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Assuming the images aren't fake, it looks as though both units are becoming touchscreen only - I can't see any obvious buttons placed for page turns - so the comment above about one-handed use may become relevant.

But... the lack of obvious buttons is yet another reason why these look fake.

Graham
They seem to have the same next, previous, home, zoom and option button as PRS-600 and PRS-900 have now, located below the screen. If you look at a picture of PRS-600 it will be quite obvious.
perost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #13
jashsu
Connoisseur
jashsu doesn't litterjashsu doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Update:
There's just about zero possibility it is wacom, given that active digitizers drain power like crazy and they are expensive to implement. I vaguely recall reading some E-ink product sheets about how the new Pearl panels have optional integrated touch (both resistive and capacitive variants). That might be what this is based on.

No idea why so many people are crying for full justification. Justified text is ugly.
jashsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 PM   #14
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by perost View Post
They seem to have the same next, previous, home, zoom and option button as PRS-600 and PRS-900 have now, located below the screen. If you look at a picture of PRS-600 it will be quite obvious.
Yes, I mentioned those in another thread - if they are buttons - but again, placed in a weird position for one-handed use.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #15
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I use my 600 one-handed quite often and turn pages via the physical buttons.

How comfortable it would be to hold and turn pages is specific to each user.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote