Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
spyrule
spyrule began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Battery Life?

I read a forum posting (here) which provided the steps to disable the cell phone service and telephony for the Nook Color. This, ostensibly, should help the life of the battery.

So, it seems to me that doing this for the touch seems like a good idea. But, my question is, am I just being paranoid? I'm new to the whole android thing.

If I'm not being paranoid, are there other steps that can be taken to lengthen battery life?

This is the code I'm using to disable the Phone and Telephony services:
Code:
adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t ext2 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system
adb shell mv /system/app/Phone.apk /system/app/Phone.OLD
adb shell mv /system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk /system/app/TelephonyProvider.OLD
adb reboot
spyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
Oogami
Oogami began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
For the touch, there's already a way to turn off the WiFi, same with the NookColor.

Also the Touch has a ridiculous battery life, I was reading a manga for 6+ hours one day and the battery dropped about 10%. So that's about 10 days of heavy reading.

With manga, page turns are much faster, since there's less text to read. That is with WiFi turned off btw.

So assuming you're reading a book, where each page turn will take longer, you'll have at least a month of battery, even for a heavy reader. So honestly, don't even worry about the battery for the Nook Touch. The only thing you should really do is turn off the Wifi, no hacking required.
Oogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I second what Oogami said - just turn off the WiFi on the Touch.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
spyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogami View Post
For the touch, there's already a way to turn off the WiFi, same with the NookColor.

Also the Touch has a ridiculous battery life, I was reading a manga for 6+ hours one day and the battery dropped about 10%. So that's about 10 days of heavy reading.

With manga, page turns are much faster, since there's less text to read. That is with WiFi turned off btw.

So assuming you're reading a book, where each page turn will take longer, you'll have at least a month of battery, even for a heavy reader. So honestly, don't even worry about the battery for the Nook Touch. The only thing you should really do is turn off the Wifi, no hacking required.
Thanks, Oogami! You really helped to put things in perspective.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

@spyrule, Your first post in this thread mentioned cellular radio possibly on a rooted Nook as opposed to the other two guys talking about WiFi on a non-rooted Nook. Two VERY different things. If your Nook isn't rooted the battery life is probably going to be good. If you rooted it, then there is a chance the battery life will be much shorter. The nookcolor I owned had good battery life when not rooted and like a lot of others it had terrible batery life when rooted, so the Nook Touch might act this way as well. I suspect it will as Android was obviously designed for smartphones and the patched up 2.x they put on tablets and readers is not that good on same. Some of the so-called rooting experts continue to state the nookcolor shouldn't drain battery for a non-existent cellular radio, and yet it darn sure appears to. What ever the reason, a rooted nook often leads to excessive battery drain according to posts all over the web.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-22-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
spyrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
@spyrule, Your first post in this thread mentioned cellular radio possibly on a rooted Nook as opposed to the other two guys talking about WiFi on a non-rooted Nook. Two VERY different things. If your Nook isn't rooted the battery life is probably going to be good. If you rooted it, then there is a chance the battery life will be much shorter. The nookcolor I owned had good battery life when not rooted and like a lot of others it had terrible batery life when rooted, so the Nook Touch might act this way as well. I suspect it will as Android was obviously designed for smartphones and the patched up 2.x they put on tablets and readers is not that good on same. Some of the so-called rooting experts continue to state the nookcolor shouldn't drain battery for a non-existent cellular radio, and yet it darn sure appears to. What ever the reason, a rooted nook often leads to excessive battery drain according to posts all over the web.
Great info, jswinden! My nook touch is rooted, and, as you said, it seems that there is a fairly considerable difference in battery life after rooting. Disabling phone and telephony services does seem to have improved the battery life. But, as I only disabled them about 24 hours ago, I'm not sure.

Are there recommendations to improve battery life that you have found useful?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogami View Post
is the battery life of the Touch ridiculous or reading PDFs/image heavy documents in a e-reader ridiculous?

Let's recap E Ink tech: it only wastes power on "page turns", not to maintain them. Page turns here means any change to the screen: page turns, obviously, but also the menu showing up and panning and scrolling around a PDF/image. E Ink is meant for static content: you read a page for 1 minute, then do a screen refresh. Constrast this to LCD where the screen refreshes 60 times a second. Can you see where the power saving comes from?

So, if your reading usually involves panning around PDFs and comics, you're doing several "page turns" per second, even though it's the same "page" you're reading.

so, give me plain rich textual fiction to me...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post

So, if your reading usually involves panning around PDFs and comics, you're doing several "page turns" per second, even though it's the same "page" you're reading.

so, give me plain rich textual fiction to me...
Panning is not a capability that Nook STR has at the moment, so that is not the issue here. However unlike text-only pages, any page with images on it forces a full page refresh, which is going to use a little more power than doing it every 6 pages as with text.

I am curious about what manga is referenced here, since Nook STR doesn't have a picture viewer as such (or does it?). B&N sells some books in the 'manga' category but I assume those are ePub files.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, touch