Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
Scotch
Enthusiast
Scotch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kindle
Trouble with Convertlit

I have been using converlit 1.8 and calibre for a couple of months now for my sony reader. I have not had any trouble converting dozens of .lit books this way until my most recent purchase last week from Books on Board. I did everything I normally did -- convert, then go to calibre to add book so I could convert to .lrf format for the sony. However, this time when I went to calibre to add the book, I was not able to add any file that had any size (kb)! I hope I'm making sense. Basically in the past I figure out which line item in the extracted book folder to click on when adding a new book to calibre by clicking on the "firefox document" file that has the largest size kb. (You can probably tell I'm a bit illiterate when it comes to computer software stuff; I mostly figure things out by accident.) This time, however, the only line item that has any size is a 10kb "OPF" file. The extracted book folder is missing the usually large xxx kb firefox document (which I assume means html file). But I can pull the book in its entirety on my MS Reader on the laptop. So I can't figure out what is wrong.

I've re-downloaded the book from my Books on Board bookshelf and retraced the steps several times. No difference. Because I was frustrated about this whole deal, I went ahead and forked money over to Sony and bought the same book that night. Now I want to try and figure this out because I am really nervous about buying any more .lit books after this experience. Could someone help?
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Two options - first is to search the forum/web for "ConvertLit GUI" and use that to "Downconvert" the file rather than "Extract", which is what you currently do. If that works, just pass the whole downconverted file to Calibre to convert.

Second would be to try the conversion via a command line window & paste info here so we can see any error messages, but I'd suggest trying the above first as that might be simpler.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Scotch
Enthusiast

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give that a try when I'm home tonight. Could you explain briefly the difference between downconverting and extracting?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically, extracting removes the DRM then splits the file in to it's constituent parts, while downconverting just removes the DRM. This is sufficient because Calibre's able to convert non-DRM'd LITs, working out for itself which parts it should use, so you can leave it to choose!
Old 02-10-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Scotch
Enthusiast

Your solution worked!! Thank you so much. Now I can go spend all those credits I have at Fictionwise.
Advert
Old 02-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
gwynevans
Wizzard

Great!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:04 AM   #7
Jhonny
Banned
Jhonny began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank for advices...this problme I had too
Jhonny is offline   Reply With Quote