Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2013, 12:19 PM   #616
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
[QUOTE=adityadubey;2695887]Got mine today after playing with it at a local store (they've officially launched in India recently). I like the design, and the ridged back does make it easier to hold. The screen is an absolute gem though, and the lighting is very even and makes it look really nice. I am having some initial issues with Wifi sync though, but this seems to promise a very immersive reading experience, so I'm willing to put up with a few niggles.

One question for more experienced users though, is there anyway to remove the sleeping / power off indicator from the screen saver?

[Image deleted - MODERATOR]

I don't know if it makes any difference software wise but it looks like you have a Kobo Aura HD, that's a different thread. This is a thread for the smaller Kobo Aura.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-25-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #617
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
My bad! Thanks for pointing that out
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2013, 11:43 AM   #618
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Hiya. They haven't released firmware 3.0.1 for the Aura yet, but I expect they soon will. In that release you can remove the sleeping indicator. Not sure about the power-off one.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #619
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
I offered myself an Aura 6" and though it updated, it stayed at 2.10. I hope too a new update to be able to mark a book as "not read" instead of just "finished" : all the books I have previously purchased from kobo are marked at 1% read even if I haven't opened them... Perhaps it's the normal behaviour but it seems strange for me.

So far, I'm happy with the Aura : no pinprick nor light leakage from the side that I can see (if there are some, I can't see them so it doesn't bother me). But I bought it just yesterday, so I have to see with some time of use. One thing I regret with regard to the Glo is the colour of the Aura's light (it's yellowish as the Glo's bluish and I rather like cold lights) on the other hand, you can set the light level far below the Glo's one
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #620
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
I. I hope too a new update to be able to mark a book as "not read" instead of just "finished"
That is in the 3.xx update.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #621
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Just ordered an Aura from a web retailer here in Norway My GLO had become erratic and non-responsive to touch commands, and what with the power slider being broken also, it really was just as well to go to the latest hardware iteration. Hope 3.x.x will be out for it before I get it in the mail (10 days delivery), and that I am spared any light spots. Not as worried about the "scratch" marks some have reported in the screen, as they just look like the capacitive mesh that I know and have made my peace with in my iPad screen.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #622
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I bought mine two weeks ago and have pin holes, but like most people say it all depends where they are, and at what brightness you see them at. My main one is always visible but it's up near the brightest indicator star so it's more a 'feature' now than an issue. The others I have to hunt for to find.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #623
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

My software is on 2.10 and that's fine, I have no reason to want an upgrade
Old 11-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #624
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
That is in the 3.xx update.
I know that as I have a Glo too. One other thing I'd like would be the bug puting the device back to sleep just after awakening to be fixed. I hoped it would not affect the Aura but I was wrong... I suppose I just have to be patient
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #625
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
I know that as I have a Glo too. One other thing I'd like would be the bug puting the device back to sleep just after awakening to be fixed. I hoped it would not affect the Aura but I was wrong... I suppose I just have to be patient
It will be fixed in the next firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #626
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It will be fixed in the next firmware.
Wasn't it already fixed a couple of firmwares back? Can't quite understand the process here. Like fix it and leave it alone, or don't fix it until you understand why it keeps becoming unfixed? I know I am beating a dead horse here but I honestly don't understand the point of constantly removing and re-adding the same old stuff (both bugs and features) in pretty much the same old ways. Lack of attention span perhaps?

“Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it.”
― Edmund Burke

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #627
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Josie, 2.10 is probably just fine, but I must have the sorting options that were part of the 3.0.0 upgrade.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #628
CaffeBreak
Enthusiast
CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.CaffeBreak is that somebody.

Device: Aura - Aura HD - Mini
I just got my Aura today from Kobo.com. One week, not too bad. I've had every kindle since the first one, but I have to say I'm very impressed with the Aura. No lighting issues, so that's good. I can't believe how small it is, even smaller than the kindle 4. I even like that the top and bottom have more space in books than other ereaders. I know that a lot of people don't and are fixing it with Calibre, but the text always seemed so crowded on my kindles and the Aura is just easier on the eyes. I think I've finally broke my kindle addiction! In fact, there's a store down the street that has Aura HD's and I'm thinking I just might... I will say this, though. The only complaint I do have is the bookstore. They give a short description and nothing else. No reviews or anything. I sure hope they improve that in the future. So now, do I hit that store tomorrow or not? The HD looks awfully good, too.
CaffeBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #629
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

I also like the look and size of the Kobo Aura HD but what puts me off is the different touch screen, the Aura HD uses Infrared Touch. The Kobo Aura uses capacitive, the same as the Kindle Paperwhite, which I also have.

I use both devices daily so I like the fact that the Paperwhite and the Aura work in exactly the same way.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #630
NixLapi
Addict
NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NixLapi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I've had my Aura for a few days now and am on the fence. The only reason I replaced my (dead) Glo with an Aura instead of another Glo was the Glo at it's dimmest setting was still too bright. Well that part I like about the Aura.

I find the screen frame is quite narrow, and with the flat screen I am constantly hitting the screen with my thumbs while holding it to read. My hands are small and I typically have my thumb(s) on the front of the device to hold it - so lots of accidental page turns, bookmarks or opening the settings page. Annoying!

And the red power button (on a black case) is just so very ugly. Who made that design decision?!

Not sure if these next ones are firmware issues that apply across the board (it's been a while since I updated previous devices), but I was surprised that having previously had a Touch and a Glo I had to google how to delete books from the device! There also doesn't seem to be an obvious way to mark a book read if you don't want to flip through all the junk publishers stuff into the back.
NixLapi is offline   Reply With Quote