Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #31
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Neither does the author! *rimshot noise*
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #32
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have never understood why so many people like Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver and the other books in that series. I tried to make myself read Quicksilver. I am half way through it, for the third time, and still bored stiff. Yet most people I know loved it.

Harry Potter is pretty easy read, especially the first few books, and good for escaping. Books four through seven do a really impressive job of presenting a much darker, more sinister world. I liked the politics, the manipulation, and the overall manuevering in the book. I thought she did a good job developing deep characters and not just the primary characters.

Over all, I really liked the series. I don't think that it is greatliterature but it is a good read.

I don't get Twilight. I would not have gotten it when I was a teenage girl but I am not a normal teenage girl.

I guess I figure I should enjoy reading what I enjoy reading and let other folks enjoy what they enjoy.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I guess I figure I should enjoy reading what I enjoy reading and let other folks enjoy what they enjoy.
Much more productive that way (says the huge Neal Stephenson Fan).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #34
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
guess I figure I should enjoy reading what I enjoy reading and let other folks enjoy what they enjoy
Indeed!

I do enjoy people's comments and descriptions of books they enjoy (rather than a review) and will often react to them by trying a book. Sometimes I am disappointed, but what is life without a disappointment or two.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #35
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
I'm also in the process of slogging through "Game of Thrones" and it is pretty slow going. I don't know whether I'll have the intestinal fortitude to finish the series.
Yeah book 4 was a long hard slog for me. I'm in no hurry to start book 5. If he ever writes the final book I may just skip to that and see if it makes a difference.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #36
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr72 View Post
Yeah book 4 was a long hard slog for me. I'm in no hurry to start book 5. If he ever writes the final book I may just skip to that and see if it makes a difference.
Oh. My. Gawd. I thought there were only 3 of the bloomin' things! I may give the second one a shot, but unless it improves mightily over the first, I'm done with 'em.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #37
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I have not bothered reading book 4, I heard it was awful, and have not purchased book 5. I am seriously considering not completing the series, if Martin ever writes the entire thing, because the man needs to be working with a stronger editor.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Oh. My. Gawd. I thought there were only 3 of the bloomin' things! I may give the second one a shot, but unless it improves mightily over the first, I'm done with 'em.
I loved the first three, I thought they were incredible. I didn't find book 4 to be quite as bad as everyone said, but I thought book 5 was complete crap.

So if you don't like a Game of Thrones, then you certainly won't like the rest.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #39
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Continuing the Epic Fantasy thread...

I'm slogging my way through book 2 of Joe Abercrombie's First Law Series (Before They Are Hanged). I really enjoyed the first book. The second book is good, but it hasn't captured me in the same way. As there is only three books in the series I'll probably finish it off, but I suspect it's going to take me a while.

Last edited by jgaiser; 02-16-2012 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Removed URLs. Worked in preview. You can find them. :)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As there is only three books in the series I'll probably finish it off, but I suspect it's going to take me a while.
Three in the series... followed by 2 (soon to be three) stand alone novels (followed by another proposed series) in the same "universe" with some of the same characters.

Not that I'm keeping track or anything.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #41
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Lord of the Rings. I found it really long and quite monotonous after awhile. I actually preferred both Harry Potter and Twilight over LOTR.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #42
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Three in the series... followed by 2 (soon to be three) stand alone novels (followed by another proposed series) in the same "universe" with some of the same characters.
Yabut... Only three in the original story arc. I can ignore those standalones.
Can't I?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #43
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Lord of the Rings. I found it really long and quite monotonous after awhile. I actually preferred both Harry Potter and Twilight over LOTR.
Sheesh... Blasphemy. Saying nasty things about the LOTR will get you ejected from the Fantasy Club.

Loved it. Working my way through the book(s) for the third time.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #44
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Yabut... Only three in the original story arc. I can ignore those standalones.
Can't I?
Oh absolutely.
But that's a decision you don't have to make until after you've finished with the First Law series.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:54 PM   #45
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The middle of the First Law series did slump a bit, but it picks up again in book 3. I loved the characters. The two standalone novels are also great. Maybe The Heroes tries to stretch a fairly short timespan over too many words, but plenty happens in Best Served Cold.

There are two popular fantasy series I recently tried to start, which both left me cold:

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. I read Gardens of the Moon, and I just don't get it. Characters I couldn't care less about. Over-topping nuclear arms-race of godlike beings. Motivations that make no sense. Events that seem to be retrospectively made important some time after they've happened. I thought it was a mess, and have no intention of reading any more of the series.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. I battled my way through the tedium that was Wizard's First Rule on the rabid recommendation of a friend. It didn't seem to have much going for it. I had to read something else when I was half way through it, to recharge myself enough to make it to the end.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote