Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
tank0
tank0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Will Amazon release new Kindle DX or other large screen Kindle in the near future?

Large Screen Kindle is very good for reading PDFs such as papers and scanned books.

But Amazon stopped upgrade Kindle DX fireware for a long time

So is there any message that Amazon will release new large screen Kindle?
tank0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unlikely. See the other recent threads on the subject.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Amazon hasn't done anything with the DX since the graphite one was introduced. I don't expect that to change anytime soon.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I doubt it. It was a great concept for some people, but I don't think they ever caught on in the market. I suspect Amazon will soon discontinue the DX line, but that is just a guess.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I doubt it. It was a great concept for some people, but I don't think they ever caught on in the market. I suspect Amazon will soon discontinue the DX line, but that is just a guess.
I think the price had something to do with how not-so-well it did.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I think the price had something to do with how not-so-well it did.
Yeah, priced at $100 more than the 6 inch would have been reasonable. I was tempted several times to buy one, just couldn't do it. Plus too many comments about the awkward keyboard.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #7
MickeyMark
Learning to read...
MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.MickeyMark can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: K3-3G, KDXG
There are factory refurbished ones on eBay for about 100 dollars more. But yea, the price point was too high from the start.
MickeyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
They'd have to make it cheaper than the Fire device if they plan on continuing it.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
KevinTMC
KevinTMC has learned how to buy an e-book online

I always presumed that the main point of the DX was to try to transmogrify the textbook market. But it appears they weren't able to get enough traction...at least not with that particular piece of hardware at that price point.
KevinTMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:26 PM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTMC View Post
I always presumed that the main point of the DX was to try to transmogrify the textbook market. But it appears they weren't able to get enough traction...at least not with that particular piece of hardware at that price point.
One reason it never caught on is it sucks at handling PDF, which is what most textbook users need. So it's basically a giant reader for novels, and the price guarantees limited appeal.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Unfortunately it was in a unique niche of its own but I'm glad I have a DXG. It is my main reader at home and the K3 (plus KT soon) is used while I'm on the road or just out of the house. Reading with e-ink on a large (Pearl) display is a delight.

Last edited by Skydog; 10-07-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
KevinTMC
KevinTMC has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
One reason it never caught on is it sucks at handling PDF, which is what most textbook users need. So it's basically a giant reader for novels, and the price guarantees limited appeal.
Fair enough...but truthfully, doesn't everything suck at handling PDFs?

(Except for my local print shop, that is...having them turn the PDFs into paper documents is really the only satisfactory solution I've found. And that's only for those PDFs that are genuine e-documents, not just clumsy scans that were plunked into a ridiculous file format.)
KevinTMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTMC View Post
Fair enough...but truthfully, doesn't everything suck at handling PDFs?

(Except for my local print shop, that is...having them turn the PDFs into paper documents is really the only satisfactory solution I've found. And that's only for those PDFs that are genuine e-documents, not just clumsy scans that were plunked into a ridiculous file format.)
True. PDF just sucks on the screen.

However, a few simple features would make it suck less. Reflow when possible, margin cropping, finer zoom control (not just 150%, 200% etc), and retaining the zoom level from page to page.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #14
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I always wondered why Amazon didn't release a Wifi only version and slash the price - if they wanted to continue in the large screen e-ink reader market. But I agree, the Fire arrival may stop any further large screen development. A pity - the DXG is a fine reader.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I wish they would.... If they brought it down to $200-$250, I would definitely get one.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote