Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
zormal
zormal began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader Pocket Pro
Unhappy Some EPUBs not opening - normal?

I love my 5" EZReader, and I've had no problems with it. Lately though, I've come across several epub files that won't open. They're DRM-free, and the problem is persistent even on different firmwares. I've had to convert several epub files I've purchased to txt format, which I think is really a shame.

When I try to open the file, it starts to load, but after a second or so the screen flashes white and nothing happens (it returns to the directory listing).

One troublesome epub file is Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (www). Does anybody else have problems with this file?

Is this a known problem? Can I do something about it?
zormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zormal View Post
I love my 5" EZReader, and I've had no problems with it. Lately though, I've come across several epub files that won't open. They're DRM-free, and the problem is persistent even on different firmwares. I've had to convert several epub files I've purchased to txt format, which I think is really a shame.

When I try to open the file, it starts to load, but after a second or so the screen flashes white and nothing happens (it returns to the directory listing).

One troublesome epub file is Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (www). Does anybody else have problems with this file?

Is this a known problem? Can I do something about it?
The feedbooks version opens properly.
You might have a damaged file or file system on your PEz.

Use Windows scandisk to "fix" the corruption.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
zormal

I can't open the feedbook version... so there's definitely something wrong with my reader.

Thanks for the tip. I ran through Scandisk, but there was no change. Any other suggestions?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Are you running the latest firmware?
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:42 AM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Could ADE have a corrupt file (when I say corrupt I mean the contents and not a disc/filesystem problem)? There is IIRC a .digitaleditions or .ade or .adobe folder on the root of the PP which stores various pieces of information about ADE and the books it has read. (For Windows users you may need to "Show Hidden Files" to see it.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2010, 03:29 AM   #6
zormal

I was running the latest firmware (4/2/2010). Now I'm trying out the latest LBook firmware. Both have the same problem.

I tried deleting all ADE files on both the device and its memory card. They got remade ok, but the problem persists.

Just to make sure... I can just copy non-drm epub files to the device without using ADE on the computer, right?

edit: What's really strange is that epub files from Project Gutenberg do open.

Last edited by zormal; 05-14-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Yes that is right, you don't need ADE to copy non-drm books to the PP, you can do a simple copy/paste or drag'n drop. If that is your method of moving books and you are finding you can't open them, then perhaps just copy the books straight from your harddrive to the reader or memory card may fix the issue.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
zormal

Good to know.

I'm currently copying all files to the device manually, as ADE hangs after a few seconds. Makes it a bit hard to use
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Try erasing the Restore_PC folder file that is associated with the book (or just erase all of them, you will lose the book location, book marks for files in the folder but it may fix the problem). I have found problems in this folder can cause the card to behave like it is corrupted. By the way the Restore_PC folder might have a V5 on the front of it.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
zormal

Erasing Restore_PC didn't help, either...

But surely there is no chance that something like this could be a hardware problem?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #11
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote from the site referenced:

It's kind of a tradition around here that my readers convert my ebooks to their favorite formats and send them to me here, and it's one that I love! If you've converted these files to another format, send them to me and I'll host them, but before you do, make sure you read the following: Only one conversion per format, first come, first serve. That means that if someone's already converted the file to a Femellhebber 3000 document, that's the one you're going to find here. I just don't know enough about esoteric readers to adjudicate disputes about what the ideal format is for your favorite device.
Download: Fan-conversions
* ePub: EPUB file (Thanks, Hadrien Gardeur!)
------------

I don't know if this is relevant, but this is what the site says. So the version that the original poster here references is a user converted book.

Has anyone been able to open this book?
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #12
zormal

Theducks mentioned that the feedbooks version opens properly. I checked, and it's the same file.

I'm also having problems with other epub files, for example these shadowrun novels I bought, but those aren't free to share.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:07 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Theducks mentioned that the feedbooks version opens properly. I checked, and it's the same file.

I'm also having problems with other epub files, for example these shadowrun novels I bought, but those aren't free to share.
This site says it does Secure PDF's
1) Your Reader must be authorized
2) You must NOT use the XPDF reader software to view them.
Press the Menu key while a PDF file is displayed. If Switch to XPDF is on the list, you are using the correct software. Otherwise, switch to Adobe will be on the list. Pick that one..
Old 05-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
zormal

Lightbulb

Thanks for the tip. I am using Adobe. I tried the files on my friend's EZReader, today, and they open up just fine. Very strange...

(fiddling around with the reader again for a few minutes...)

Holy filesystem, Batman!

Epubs open up fine from internal memory, but not from the SD card. I've been using the SD exclusively, and never thought to try the internal memory.

So something is wrong with the SD, though the problem only affects some (not all) epub files. I'll try a format later, but I'm happy to read epubs from internal memory, if that's what it takes.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. I am using Adobe. I tried the files on my friend's EZReader, today, and they open up just fine. Very strange...

(fiddling around with the reader again for a few minutes...)

Holy filesystem, Batman!

Epubs open up fine from internal memory, but not from the SD card. I've been using the SD exclusively, and never thought to try the internal memory.

So something is wrong with the SD, though the problem only affects some (not all) epub files. I'll try a format later, but I'm happy to read epubs from internal memory, if that's what it takes.

Thanks everyone for your help!
There are 900 EPUB's on my SD card. that work fine
even the one with DRM bought at EZRead,com