Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
New Cover Recommendations?

So, I am looking into getting a new cover form my reader this more more protective and/or less encumbering than the vinyl cover it comes with. Any recommendations?
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 PM   #2
Drezin
Connoisseur
Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!Drezin rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-505
Come on, I know you guys have suggestions for me. I'm in college, so my cash isn't abundant (the reader itself was a gift) and I don't want to make a regrettable purchase.
Drezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The standard cover offers decent protection and is probably the least encumbering of the covers that I own. For the record I have 5 covers. The standard cover, the upgraded sony leater, the cover with built-in book light, the m-edge executive cover and the m-edge leisure jacket.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
I ordered the i-nique one and am just waiting to get it in the mail. I can't say I love it, since I haven't actually played with it yet, but I like the idea. It has a stand on the back so you can read while eating, which I did a lot when I was in college - that whole necesity for multi-tasking and all.
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
I have the m-edge executive leather cover:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32463
and it really works well!
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I'd suggest the original. It is the least cumbersome of any cover Ive seen (fits just right) and provides decent protection. Plus it is by far the cheapest one out there. (Free! with your Reader purchase.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
Juggle4Evr
Connoisseur
Juggle4Evr doesn't litterJuggle4Evr doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Cybook Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I'd suggest the original. It is the least cumbersome of any cover Ive seen (fits just right) and provides decent protection. Plus it is by far the cheapest one out there. (Free! with your Reader purchase.)
But the one from m-edge is far more protective (the front cover is very stiff to protect the display glass.). And it can be folded back without having to fear that the plastic holder clip of the original will break.

Maybe someone could build some kind of screen light that fits into the pen holder loop of the m-edge cover...
Juggle4Evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Gameboy213
Connoisseur
Gameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheeseGameboy213 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox Note 2 , Kindle Oasis 2018
I use the standard Black Leather cover and love it. Although if I could get the Sony TriFold I would. I love the look of it... but can't get it here in the US.
Gameboy213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
It's also stupidly designed and the plastic clip breaks with minimal pressure (like say falling 2 inches onto a foam mattress...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidknytOwl View Post
I ordered the i-nique one and am just waiting to get it in the mail. I can't say I love it, since I haven't actually played with it yet, but I like the idea. It has a stand on the back so you can read while eating, which I did a lot when I was in college - that whole necesity for multi-tasking and all.
I have it and I can confirm that it's awesome. :-)

And gets very odd comments in restaurants from waiters.

Last edited by Riocaz; 02-13-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I've got the standard cover, the cover with built-in book light, the m-edge executive cover and the m-edge leisure jacket. My favorite is the standard cover. I use the booklight cover most because of ::duh:: the booklight. That booklight really is way better than any clipon, but I like the small size when I've just got the standard.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've got the m-edge executive cover and the m-edge leisure jacket both of which I like a lot. I almost never need the book light otherwise I'd get the Sony cover with that built in as I agree with HistoryWes that it is a very effective light.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #12
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
The i-nique case looks very attractive, and would have the secondary benefit of providing a dark "frame" around my silver 505, thus possibly making the gray background appear lighter. Are there any US companies that offer this product? It's not available through Amazon in the US, but is featured on Amazon.UK, but indicates it can only be shipped within the UK. The I-nique cite does offer international shipping, but the total price is nearly $40 at the present currency conversion rate (plus who knows how much my credit card would charge for foreign currency). Thus, I'd be interested in researching this product, but would prefer to buy it domestically. Does anybody within the US offer it?

Thanks.
SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
MidknytOwl
Zealot
MidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enoughMidknytOwl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Aura
They have it on ebay in US currency, so you don't have to worry about the foreign currency charge, although the price is still about $40. (I won a $25 gift certificate on another site which is why I finally bought one - I agree the price is steep.)
MidknytOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:17 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If you like the Oberon covers, they are right now making only for the Kindle.

However, they have said if they get enough interest, they would put out one for Sonys.

You can go here to see the designs and find out more info.

Its a small family run business, quality leather goods. If you like what you see, and think you might want something like that, you can hit 'contact us' and just send a quick email letting them know.

And no, I have nothing to do with them.

http://oberondesign.com/
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #15
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
The i-nique case looks very attractive, and would have the secondary benefit of providing a dark "frame" around my silver 505, thus possibly making the gray background appear lighter. Are there any US companies that offer this product? It's not available through Amazon in the US, but is featured on Amazon.UK, but indicates it can only be shipped within the UK. The I-nique cite does offer international shipping, but the total price is nearly $40 at the present currency conversion rate (plus who knows how much my credit card would charge for foreign currency). Thus, I'd be interested in researching this product, but would prefer to buy it domestically. Does anybody within the US offer it?

Thanks.
SteveK

No one in the US carries it. You can find them on Ebay, but you will pay more to buy in US currency than if you buy the Ebay listing in GB pounds. Both ship from the UK.

The cheapest price I've found in on the I-nique site. Again, it ships from the UK.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote