Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-01-2016, 01:32 PM   #556
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kinndle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Ok - you convinced me. I just now picked up the first one.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:58 PM   #557
orlok
Finish that damn book!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7, Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
I read through pages 1-7 in this thread (loving it!), and then backward from 35-27. (I will read through pages 8-26 another day). So far, though it could be on a page I didn't yet read, I didn't see anyone mention Charlie Higson's The Enemy series:

1. The Enemy
  2. The Dead
  3. The Fear
  4. The Sacrifice
  5. The Fallen
  6. The Hunted
  7. The End
I think they have been mentioned. I've read all but the last one, and will get to that soon. A great series.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:20 AM   #558
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK HD, Samsung GS7, Laptop, Desktop. RIP: Palms, NOOK Tablet, SGS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I think they have been mentioned. I've read all but the last one, and will get to that soon. A great series.
Whew! Just finished reading the entire thread and expanding my TBR list. The zombie gore and lore is piling up... Can't wait to wade through it.

@orlok: Charlie Higson's The Enemy series was indeed mentioned upthread, in the last two pages I read (ca. pp. 20-21). I'm also looking forward to digging in to book 7: The End.

One frustration: I can't find one book that was repeatedly mentioned: Time Travelin' Zombies in the Garden State, by Kelly Jameson. Anyone know where to find it? (The Kindle link provided upthread is dead but keeps coming up. Sound familiar?)

Last edited by Froide; 09-03-2016 at 07:33 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #559
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo {Glo HD, Aura HD, Mini}, Fire HD 6 & 8
RE: Charlie Higson's The Enemy series

My son recommended the series to me. I read the entire series in January. I had to order the last book from England! Extremely well worth reading. Now if only they were available as audio books!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #560
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
One frustration: I can't find one book that was repeatedly mentioned: Time Travelin' Zombies in the Garden State, by Kelly Jameson. Anyone know where to find it? (The Kindle link provided upthread is dead but keeps coming up. Sound familiar?)
It is not the type of Zombie book I would like but I was intrigued by this. It seems to have vanished from the net without explanation. There are a few links on Google to reviews but none to the Book itself. No explanation, not even on Amazon. I can offer some facts on which you are free to speculate what may have happened, though I will myself refrain from such conjecture, at least publicly.

Kelly Jameson is a well known romance writer. A visit to the list of all of her books on her web page shows only romance titles without any reference to the walking dead. http://www.kellyjamieson.com/all-books/. However, her Amazon Book Page, whilst not including the title in question, does include such notable gems as "I kissed a Zombie and I liked it" and "Moby Dickhead: or, the White Zombie Whale". (See https://www.amazon.com/Kelly%20James...qid=1472909079)

If Kelly or someone reading this knows what actually happened please post and share it with us.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:37 AM   #561
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur
DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, Kindle PaperWhite
I did a quick search through this thread and can't see any mention of Frank Tayell. Currently reading his series on Kindle via Amazon.
http://www.franktayell.com

I'm currently on Book 5 of 7 of Surviving the Evacuation, it's a series that starts out before the apocalypse in London, England. Has some bits in the US then the apocalypse hits, and it's pretty much about civilisation collapsing and everything from half way through book 1 onwards is post apocalypse.

It's a really good series of books. Frank Tayell also has another book called Zombies vs The Living Dead although I haven't read that one yet.

The Surviving the Evacuation is probably the closest I've come to getting to The Walking Dead. Characters pop up, they meed new characters, characters get bitten and eventually turn and die, they move from location to location in the hope of finding supplies, food, water and friends they've lost along the way and ultimate surviving and rebuilding civilisation.
DaveFalcon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #562
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFalcon73 View Post
I did a quick search through this thread and can't see any mention of Frank Tayell. Currently reading his series on Kindle via Amazon.
http://www.franktayell.com

I'm currently on Book 5 of 7 of Surviving the Evacuation, it's a series that starts out before the apocalypse in London, England. Has some bits in the US then the apocalypse hits, and it's pretty much about civilisation collapsing and everything from half way through book 1 onwards is post apocalypse.

It's a really good series of books. Frank Tayell also has another book called Zombies vs The Living Dead although I haven't read that one yet.

The Surviving the Evacuation is probably the closest I've come to getting to The Walking Dead. Characters pop up, they meed new characters, characters get bitten and eventually turn and die, they move from location to location in the hope of finding supplies, food, water and friends they've lost along the way and ultimate surviving and rebuilding civilisation.
I also like Tayell's series.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #563
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kinndle: Oasis 3G, Voyage WiFi;FireHD; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Whew! Just finished reading the entire thread and expanding my TBR list. The zombie gore and lore is piling up... Can't wait to wade through it.

@orlok: Charlie Higson's The Enemy series was indeed mentioned upthread, in the last two pages I read (ca. pp. 20-21). I'm also looking forward to digging in to book 7: The End.

NEW MARKETING STRATEGY!

The best way to sell an ebook that nobody wanted to read in the first place is to delete the book from every known source. Then, casually mention it on your web page.

They will come.

AND THEY WILL BUY!

Z=mc2: Time Travelin' Zombies vs the Garden State

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-03-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:29 PM   #564
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur
DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.DaveFalcon73 seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Quote:
I also like Tayell's series.
Are there any other good zombie books like Frank Tayell? I've tried a number like Ian Woodhead but just couldn't get on with them, just seemed too much unnecessary profanity in them. Ideally one that has a good series of books to claw through.
Old 09-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #565
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo {Glo HD, Aura HD, Mini}, Fire HD 6 & 8
I searched and didn't see Bobby Adair in this thread. SLOW BURN is awesome. I listened to the first 6. He then used a different narrator. I haven't read/listened to the last three, yet. Love the Black Rust books, too.

I also don't see mention of Nicholas Sansbury Smith. His Extinction Cycle series is Awesome.

Last edited by booklover6; 09-03-2016 at 01:27 PM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 02:18 PM   #566
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur

Thanks just downloaded the first book in the series, I'll give that a try.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:31 AM   #567
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Ok - you convinced me. I just now picked up the first one.
Enjoy!

It occurred to me...after reading the Travel Writers recommendation thread...that Charlie Higson's The Enemy horror fiction series happens to be an excellent guide to London (just as in the crime fiction realm, Donna Leon's Commissario Guido Brunetti series is an excellent guide to Venice).

Last edited by Froide; 09-04-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:00 AM   #568
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
Are there any other good zombie books like Frank Tayell? I've tried a number like Ian Woodhead but just couldn't get on with them, just seemed too much unnecessary profanity in them. Ideally one that has a good series of books to claw through.
@DaveFalcon73, I recommend reading through this entire thread; undoubtedly, you'll find hordes of recommended series that seem infectiously-appealing.

Last edited by Froide; 09-04-2016 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2016, 02:36 AM   #569
DaveFalcon73
Connoisseur

Thanks Froide, I have done so already and noted down a lot of books but was really after a more customisable closer reading experience to the Frank Tayell books, that's why I asked. Many of the zombie books I've tried so far I get a few chapters in and just put down because either the writing style of the author is atrocious, or the characters and plot is just bland.

I will still check out some of the samples mentioned in this thread and there's a lot of them but booklover6 has been a great help so starting to read those ones first.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:24 AM   #570
Froide
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks Froide, I have done so already and noted down a lot of books but was really after a more customisable closer reading experience to the Frank Tayell books, that's why I asked. Many of the zombie books I've tried so far I get a few chapters in and just put down because either the writing style of the author is atrocious, or the characters and plot is just bland.

I will still check out some of the samples mentioned in this thread and there's a lot of them but booklover6 has been a great help so starting to read those ones first.
Roger that. I may do the same.