Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle app on iPad and iPhone
Calibre can't read Microsoft Word documents?

I have a number of MS Word documents (Word 2007) that I tried to convert to MOBI format to upload to my Kindle. However, Calibre doesn't recognise them. So I had to save them as RTF documents which Calibre then imported and converted for me.

Is it possible to get Calibre to work with Word docs?
mjt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Microsoft Word documents are not a supported format for conversion.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...word-documents
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
mjt57
Connoisseur
mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mjt57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys. Will try the HTML method and see how it goes.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
mjt57
Connoisseur

Oh, when I was reading the documents one of them has random question marks inserted in mid sentence. eg:

This is a sample?sentence with a question?mark in it.

Can Calibre's converted remove these?
Old 04-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
Oh, when I was reading the documents one of them has random question marks inserted in mid sentence. eg:

This is a sample?sentence with a question?mark in it.

Can Calibre's converted remove these?
That is most likely you chose of a wrong page encoding when the document did not declare one (or declared the wrong one). Those are probably 'curly quotes' There is hints to choosing in the ballon help for the 'encoding' option in the convert properties.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
mjt57
Connoisseur

Sorry but I couldn't find this encoding option under the convert books menu.

Exactly where is it?

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
atjnjk
Zealot
atjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enoughatjnjk will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Sorry but I couldn't find this encoding option under the convert books menu.

Exactly where is it?
calibre's main window > Convert books > Look & Feel > Input character encoding
atjnjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 AM   #9
mjt57
Connoisseur

Ok, thanks.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Ok, thanks.
Sorry, just booted up for the day.

The preferences Look and Feel location is where you would set the Calibre Default setting (IMHO as most commonly used/for bulk use).

When converting each book Individually(not bulk), the same setting is available (along with most of the others)

Whatever settings are used for the conversion will be stored with the book in the DB for future use (the restore button at the button is used to forget these)

Making later changes in Look and Feel, does not affect the settings that have previously been used for converting a book. You must press 'restore' to use the new ones or change them in each book as you convert.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
GailN
GailN began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
[QUOTE=mjt57;1489178]I have a number of MS Word documents (Word 2007) that I tried to convert to MOBI format to upload to my Kindle. However, Calibre doesn't recognise them. So I had to save them as RTF documents which Calibre then imported and converted for me.

Mobi has it's own converter, which works well for PRC docs and can convert from MS Word. I use it all the time for PRC or mobi format. You can then either open with an Mobi PC emulator or Kindle Content
GailN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
mjt57
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by atjnjk View Post
calibre's main window > Convert books > Look & Feel > Input character encoding
I had a look at it yesterday. I'm not sure how it can be used to delete these question mark characters from the book.

But I did follow Kovid's suggestion and saved the documents as html/filtered then imported and converted them.

They seem to present better on the Kindle.