Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #31
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'm a huge Granny Weatherwax fan, myself.
Heh, my favorite "character" is probably The Luggage. Especially as my boss is on a never-ending life-quest for a Bigger Purse -- we took to calling her purses "The Luggage" a couple of years ago.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #32
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Drat. Sony doesn't sell either The Colour of Magic or Good Omens. But they do have Wyrd Sisters. So be it! Thanks for the suggestions.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #33
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post

You might like The Colour of Magic more than I did, though. I guess my point is that even within the Discworld series, there are different strands, and if you don't like one set of characters, you might well like another. (I'm a huge Granny Weatherwax fan, myself.)...
DEATH and SUSAN. That's all I'll say.

CHEERS,
MARC (with his James Earl Jones voice on)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 PM   #34
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
DEATH and SUSAN. That's all I'll say.

CHEERS,
MARC (with his James Earl Jones voice on)
I'm with montsnmags! Death is my favorite character. Followed by the city watch (Commander Vimes and Corporal Carrot).
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Well, yeah, DEATH. (and you can have both DEATH and Granny in Witches Abroad.)

Here's the BoingBoing announcement: http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/12...chett-has.html

Scroll down to comment #39.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #36
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
I actually recommend that people start with Small Gods. But maybe that's because it's my favorite ;-) It's an interesting book, with interesting ideas about belief and religion, and it stands on its own separate from the rest of the books (so it can be read by itself). It's also more mature writing than Colour of Magic or the earlier books, where he was sort of just writing a parody of fantasy rather than real books.
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #37
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Where would you suggest I start?
SMALL GODS. Works perfectly as a standalone novel, no Discworld knowledge required whatsoever, and tells you everything you need to know about the genius that is Terry Pratchett.
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #38
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm surprised that I haven't read any of the books but I plan on reading a few.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:01 AM   #39
billyd
billyd began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Just to let you know that 'The Colour of Magic' is being made into a film
billyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:50 AM   #40
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Good to know...

I'd recommend the books Small Gods, and Good Omens to any Terry Pratchett starter. They work well without any foreknowledge of Discworld.

After reading those two (or one of them) I'd recommend reading all the other books he's ever written...but that's just me...

The nice thing about Terry Pratchett is that he wrote a huge number of good books and they all belong in the same "Series" but are still all seperate novels that can be read standalone. You might miss some reference and not get osme of the jokes, but you'll still be able to enjoy every novel on it's own. One of my "Plans for Life" is to read all Discworld novels in their proper order...so far I just grabbed any book and read it...which is also fun...

My favourite characters are:
Rincewind (especially in The Last Continent)
The Luggage
DEATH
Susan

But I really like all the other characters as well...
The witches are actually my least-favourite , but I still enjoyed every book that featured them...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:52 PM   #41
SandySchwab
Mad Author
SandySchwab began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
My two most favourite Pratchett books are GUARDS! GUARDS! (this is the beginning of the Nightwatch story line; dragonslayer story meets crime fiction) and WITCHES ABROAD (three witches travel to a far-away country and through different stories, however, without noticing the latter at first)
SandySchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #42
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Drat. Sony doesn't sell either The Colour of Magic or Good Omens. But they do have Wyrd Sisters. So be it! Thanks for the suggestions.

That's odd. I bought The Color (bloody colonists) of Magic from Sony last year but now it is missing from the store. I wish Sony would get their act together.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #43
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
That's odd. I bought The Color (bloody colonists) of Magic from Sony last year but now it is missing from the store. I wish Sony would get their act together.
I don't think it's necessarily Sony. IIRC there was some flap where some of Pratchett's books were issued & then pulled by the publisher. Maybe there was some snafu when it was straightened out & it never got back into Sony's catalog. Has anyone asked them?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #44
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I don't think it's necessarily Sony. IIRC there was some flap where some of Pratchett's books were issued & then pulled by the publisher. Maybe there was some snafu when it was straightened out & it never got back into Sony's catalog. Has anyone asked them?

I just purchased the books at Fictionwise, unless the Sony reads one of the popular DRMed formats you'll need to convert.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #45
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I think I'd recommend Wyrd Sisters, Guards Guards, Reaper Man or Moving Pictures.

Those aren't the first books by any means but as I mentioned elsewhere a while ago, TP's first 3 or 4 Discworld books I thought were more "feeling the way" into this new world he was creating. I started to read them first in order and wound up putting them aside for a few years and then happened to read one of the later books which knocked me almost out of my chair laughing. At least that was my experience.

My favorite characters are Gaspode the dog, Death, Granny and all of the Nac Mac Feegle.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote