Notices

Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
I can agree with that - although if I recall correctly it started off as a short story (basically one of the chapters with the witch) and he eventually made it into the full blown story.
That's right. The story was "The Witch's Headstone" - you can find it in the M Is For Magic collection of Gaiman's short stories.
Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Oddly enough, I was re-reading Tamora Pierce's YA fantasy Emperor Mage last night, and realized that in a weird way it has the sort of events I was imagining for a sequel to The Graveyard Book.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Have been thinking that I should read all the Hugo winners going back to the first winner starting with the 2009 winner. Going back to 1953 that's alot of books though.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:20 PM   #19
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have been thinking that I should read all the Hugo winners going back to the first winner starting with the 2009 winner. Going back to 1953 that's alot of books though.

BOb
Exactly what I am trying to do. E-books are of big help on that, and occasionally I find some pbooks here and there.

But there are some real gems among those - it's worth the time.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:

BOb
Have been thinking about it myself, don't forget the retro awards though which adds 1946 and 1951.

You might find this helpful:

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/50

and if you are feeling crazy you can do the Nebula too:

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/49
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #21
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Best Short Story: “Exhalation”, Ted Chiang (Eclipse Two)

Certainly one of the best SF short stories I've ever read.

Than buy Ted Chiang's short story collection (there is only one) since most of the stories in the collection are better than Exhalation.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #22
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:

BOb
I'm working on something similar - though not with as much vigor now. Around 2000 I started reading Hugo novel "Nominees" but from 2000 backward. I get snagged occasionally on an author and have to read everything from a trilogy or series/universe if I really liked a book. When I read Bujold's Barrayar I had to read all the rest of that series and heck, that cleared 4 or 5 other nominees off my list. http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/Db/Hugo2000.html

I've read most of the "winners" after 2000 too but not as part of my project which is kind of a life-project.

The best one doesn't always win but it's usually in the nominees somewhere, but not since 2001 or so I have to say. That's just personal opinion of course. We're all different

Last edited by wayspooled; 08-15-2009 at 12:54 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #23
Wolfgan
Avid reader
Wolfgan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi
Excellent thread for SF addicts, thanks for the links as well. I found this site http://www.sfsite.com/ to have also good selections on their yearly "contests", both editors and readers choices.
Regards, Wolf.
Wolfgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I used to make a point of reading all the short stories (the Science Fiction Book Club would occasionally offer collections, which was convenient). I should get back into that practice. Some of my favorite stories are still from that set, and I discovered a lot of favorite authors that way, too.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote