Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Wink Questions from a newbie

I just have two. I've read in this forum(an old post) how to solve a a sync problem with The Sony ebook library software. I'm waiting for my PRS 505 to arrive any day now, but I don't want to have this sync problem right off the bat.

No syc symbol preverences are visible now, and I suppose I have to have some content loaded on the sd card I'm going to use, which leads me to my other question. I have several books already in the library, under books. I can read them but I don't know how to transfer them to the card. Do I drag and Drop or what. I don't see any icons or filenames for the books, just the books themselves. Once I get a book on the card How do I chance the sync pref? I don't want to screw everything up right off the bat. I don't need no sync either. Just D & D or copy and paste is my forte. Can someone help me please?
Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Sync preferences can only be viewed when a device is connected. You will have to wait until you have your device to turn off the automatic sync function.

Last edited by toomanybooks; 05-19-2009 at 01:28 AM.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Also, if you don't want to buy books from Sony, you could try using Calibre to manage your e-books instead. Many Sony owners prefer it to the Sony software. You can download it here, http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/download.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #4
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Talking

>>Sync preferences can only be viewed when a device is connected. You will have to wait until you have your device to turn off the automatic sync function.<<

hmmmm. I guess I found a way around it then! Just put an SD card in your computer. Sony e library SW recognizes it and when you click on the little sync thingy it gives you check boxes to turn off the sync!

I use Calibre now to convert books I download from Project Gutenberg and to read them until now. When My Sony arrives Thursday(or Friday) or whenever I won't need it except to convert. Like I said I'm not a sync person anyway. I'll just load and go. I won't even be using that internal memory. That's why God gave us SD cards.

BTW why do so many posters grouse about the lack of a backlit screen on e-ink displays? They're cheaper to produce and let's face it, a lightbulb costs a whole lot less than an LCD screen!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by p3aul View Post
BTW why do so many posters grouse about the lack of a backlit screen on e-ink displays? They're cheaper to produce and let's face it, a lightbulb costs a whole lot less than an LCD screen!
TBH not seen that since the first few devices hit the street.

Back then it was because it was new and people were used to expecting a backlight as a standard feature in handheld devices.

Any complaints now are down to a lack of knowledge about the product they have bought IMO.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
...I have several books already in the library, under books. I can read them but I don't know how to transfer them to the card. Do I drag and Drop or what...
Once the eBook Library recognizes the SD card as a device, you can then just drag and drop your ebooks into it. (Calibre should also do this - someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Quote:
...I use Calibre now to convert books I download from Project Gutenberg and to read them until now. When My Sony arrives Thursday(or Friday) or whenever I won't need it except to convert...
Remember not to have Sony's eBook Library and Calibre open at the same time.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 05-19-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Talking

>>Once the eBook Library recognizes the SD card as a device, you can then just drag and drop your ebooks into it. (Calibre should also do this - someone correct me if I'm wrong)<<

You have to have something to drop! It seems to me there are two main panels. On the left is the directory structure. with a folder called books. When I click on this folder I expect to see a list(with icons) of all my books. Instead the right panel just show an open book with a bar at the top to open others for reading. I can't drop a page from the book into a folder on the SD card!

BTW I duplicated the folder structure from the library onto my SD card. I don't know if this was necessary or even desirable, but it's easily changed if I'm wrong.

Another question: Can I simply copy the books from where Sony Library put them on my harddrive(documents and settings folder) to my SD card?
Thanks,
Paul
Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #8
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
...You have to have something to drop! It seems to me there are two main panels. On the left is the directory structure. with a folder called books. When I click on this folder I expect to see a list(with icons) of all my books. Instead the right panel just show an open book with a bar at the top to open others for reading. I can't drop a page from the book into a folder on the SD card!...
There are three square buttons at the top of the panel (which is showing the open book). The first one contains horizondal lines and will list the Books in your library or SD card (whichever you have selected in the left side panel). The second button, boxes within a box, will display the books with their covers. The third button enables you to display and read a particular book. Just to the right of these buttons it will tell you the number of items (books, images, songs) in the directory in which you are looking.

If you are displaying the list of books or the covers of the books, you can then drag to the SD card.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
p3aul
Captain Courageous

Talking

Ah yes, I see now! I can drag the title bar of the book in question to the SD card! perfect! I noticed also that that Sony created a folder on my SD card with the name of "Sony Reader" with subfolders of Books, Database, and Sync, so I deleted the folders I had created. Now we're cookin! Can't wait to get that reader!