Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
willanaya
Enthusiast
willanaya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
Can I Buy at Waterstones from America?

I took a look at the type of ebooks that waterstone provides and noticed that even Amazon doesn't have them in ebook format albeit for the Kindle only.

I love historical books and noticed they provide many in ePub format but not over here.

Is it possible? Feasible? Too Risky?

Considering the post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45984

Would it be worth the cost?
willanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Yes, you can buy from both Waterstones and from WH Smith. They are both major UK booksellers and purchases will be charged to your credit card in pounds. I believe WH Smith will add tax to your purchase at checkout. I have bought books from both and they have been fine.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 03:19 AM   #3
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by willanaya View Post
I took a look at the type of ebooks that waterstone provides and noticed that even Amazon doesn't have them in ebook format albeit for the Kindle only.

I love historical books and noticed they provide many in ePub format but not over here.

Is it possible? Feasible? Too Risky?

Considering the post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45984

Would it be worth the cost?
These problems are the minority, the vast majority of Waterstones transactions go through with no problems. The download problems discussed in this thread generally get sorted out (in my case it took about 3-4 weeks for them to resolve the technical difficulties) but you can request a refund by email if you have problems.

The other problems discussed in the thread refer to gift cards - not something you need to worry about if you're using a credit card.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Yes, you can buy from both Waterstones and from WH Smith. They are both major UK booksellers and purchases will be charged to your credit card in pounds. I believe WH Smith will add tax to your purchase at checkout. I have bought books from both and they have been fine.
I have bought a dozen or so ebooks from WH Smiths with no trouble.
WH Smiths only charge 15% VAT to UK residents, Rest of the World doesn't get charged it.
Suggest you stay away from Waterstones till they fix their problematic book downloading as detailed in other threads and the rather hopeless search engine.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
I've bought from WH Smith - no taxes, so the prices were quite reasonable, and had no problems whatsoever.

Funny that UK ebook retailers can sell to the US, but US retailers can't sell to the UK. Does that seem right to anyone?
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #6
willanaya
Enthusiast
willanaya began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-350
so there is no currency conversion charge?

i recently was the target of identity theft and someone used my old card to purchase $80 in gas (one purchase) in Canada. However, they also charged me a currency conversion charge, something like 10 - 15%. Is it a straight purchase?
willanaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
My credit card charges 4% for currency conversion - it depends on the card. If yours charges that much, I would get/use another card.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote