Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #31
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
At 14, I was reading anything I could get my hands on, mostly from my brother's paperback collection. Louis L'Amour, Ian Fleming and Star Trek novels.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #32
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Davd Eddings "Belgariad" series, starts with " Pawn of Prophecy". The main character is a teenage farmboy who discovers that his aunt (who raised him) is an ancient sorceress and he is the long lost heir of a kingdom. Joined by an scruffy wizard they must flee the farm. Fun dialog and not as dauntingly thick as some fantasy can be.
I agree! I would start with the Belgariad or the Elenium (The Ruby Knight, etc) which has a different setting but a lot of the same feel.

Other than that since it looks like he has a preference for fantasy books, I was reading lots of Forgotten Realms/Dragonlance books. The Discworld books by Pratchett are good too as is the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. I wasn't much into science fiction, but the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a good read for that age (and above!).

If he wants longer books the Wheel of Time might be a decent place to go. They are all available now and would keep him occupied for a while. I really enjoyed the first few that came out when I was in high school.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #33
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
He may like Charles Gilman's series, Tales from Lovecraft Middle School.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #34
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I think I read Dune at that age and found it a thrill. Robert Louis Stevenson classics for youths are also unbeatable for seekers of advenrures.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #35
wayne2612
Enthusiast
wayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmoswayne2612 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 6, iPad 3, MacBook Pro with Retina
Andy McNab writes a series of action-adventure stories called Boy Soldier aimed at teenagers.
Chris Ryan does likewise, he writes a popular series called Agent 21, as well as the Alpha Force and Code Red series of books.
wayne2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #36
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
John Christopher's _Sword of the Spirits_ Trilogy
The Tripod's trilogy is brilliant, but I haven't read the above.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #37
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I just finished a good book for teenage boys. Joel Arnold's Snow Burn. Some of his other books are adult horror, but this one is definitely good for teenage boys.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #38
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The Seal of Solomon by Richard Yancey is pretty good reading IMO. Juvenile adventure/fantasy/action and amusing at the same time. Well written and easy reading.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote