Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #106
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Talking

Loving this thread. To all my fellow language geeks, can I just say:

RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #107
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's really not hard to remember. None of the personal pronouns (my, his, her, its, ours, yours, theirs) have apostrophes. If you're not tempted to put an apostrophe in "his", there's really no reason why you should be tempted by "its" .
I think a lot of people think:

"The book's mission...." has an apostrophe, so replace "The book" with "It" and just add the apostrophe s....

Personally, to avoid that, suggest remembering the other side: If you're not trying to say "It is" then don't use the contraction "it's".

If you catch my drift, as they say.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #108
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I think a lot of people think:

"The book's mission...." has an apostrophe, so replace "The book" with "It" and just add the apostrophe s....

Personally, to avoid that, suggest remembering the other side: If you're not trying to say "It is" then don't use the contraction "it's".

If you catch my drift, as they say.
I was always very good with the things that many people have problems with, (their there they're etc).

But yes, the reasons why you stated above is entirely why it seems natural for an apostrophe to be in all possessives.

"The dog's paw was hurt."
"Rover's paw was hurt"
yet no apostrophe allowed for "Its paw was hurt." Pronouns are the exception.

English is one of those languages with fewer reliable rules than in other languages I've dabbled in. (I'm not fluent in French but was good at it in school). So I can see why people are frustrated that the rules for possessives seem to be bass-ackwards.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:45 PM   #109
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
As someone who learned English as a second language, I'm baffled that people can confuse its and it's. I never had to unlearn the mistake because I never learned it in the first place

Of course the spell checker has its own ideas and has a tendency to put in ' willy nilly, causing me to doubt myself (wait, is that right? No, why am I listening to this thing?)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #110
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Sounds more like grammar check than spell check; none of the spell checkers I've seen would try to figure out which "its" to use. Course is also been my experience that the grammar checker is wrong more often than its right; it favors a short, choppy writing style.
Yes, you're right, it's the grammer checker. I've found that the grammer checker, at least the one in Word for Mac 2011, is helpful. It does get the rules wrong, especially with writing that is intentionally colloquial, but it's always worth having a closer look at the text it tags. On a second look it often marks language that could be expressed better.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2012, 03:34 AM   #111
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
But yes, the reasons why you stated above is entirely why it seems natural for an apostrophe to be in all possessives.

"The dog's paw was hurt."
"Rover's paw was hurt"
yet no apostrophe allowed for "Its paw was hurt." Pronouns are the exception.
But it's surely an exception that should be taught at the earliest stages of literacy, is it not? The fact that such a large proportion of otherwise reasonably literate adults are getting it wrong (even authors!) is what baffles me, because it's such a simple thing to remember.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #112
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
But it's surely an exception that should be taught at the earliest stages of literacy, is it not? The fact that such a large proportion of otherwise reasonably literate adults are getting it wrong (even authors!) is what baffles me, because it's such a simple thing to remember.
Yes it should (assuming no hidden disabilities which affect language).

I at least expect it when someone is touting themselves as an accomplished author

I give a tiny bit more latitude when it's someone I don't know or a casual exchange, because I don't know someone's hidden issues. Not everyone can grasp these things logically. I have encountered many people with many different skills (my oldest adult child has special needs which are not obvious just by looking at her), and the reality is people just 'catch on' at different rates and about different subjects.

I remember one time getting annoyed after reading one person telling me for the umpteenth time, that they were trying to 'loose' weight, and my insensitivity came back in my face

But yes, at least where writing and being published is a part of their profession, I expect them to have some way to make up for foibles and grammar mistakes that they know they possess.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #113
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Yes it should (assuming no hidden disabilities which affect language).

I at least expect it when someone is touting themselves as an accomplished author

I give a tiny bit more latitude when it's someone I don't know or a casual exchange, because I don't know someone's hidden issues. Not everyone can grasp these things logically. I have encountered many people with many different skills (my oldest adult child has special needs which are not obvious just by looking at her), and the reality is people just 'catch on' at different rates and about different subjects.

I remember one time getting annoyed after reading one person telling me for the umpteenth time, that they were trying to 'loose' weight, and my insensitivity came back in my face

But yes, at least where writing and being published is a part of their profession, I expect them to have some way to make up for foibles and grammar mistakes that they know they possess.
When you think about it, if you apply a loose interpretation, "loose weight" is in a way accidentally correct. They are trying set weight loose. If you can set loose dogs, surely you can do the same for kilos? They want those kilos to loosen, and once those kilos break loose they can relax and hang loose. They can enjoy the fact that their clothing is now loose. Some previously overweight and subsequently ignored women might find that once that excess weight is loosed, they are now offered more opportunity to become loose women.

All this is just me loosely speaking of course.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #114
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Yes, you're right, it's the grammer checker. I've found that the grammer checker, at least the one in Word for Mac 2011, is helpful. It does get the rules wrong, especially with writing that is intentionally colloquial, but it's always worth having a closer look at the text it tags. On a second look it often marks language that could be expressed better.
"It's the grammer checker."

Don't do it, resist the temptation. Stop. You can do it - you can walk away. No, stop I said! Walk away now. Say nothing.

Ok - I'll look at another post.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #115
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever

Last edited by david_e; 09-05-2012 at 03:22 PM.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #116
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Loving this thread. To all my fellow language geeks, can I just say:

Threads around here do tend to take a life of their own.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #117
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
It is a common exception, but the English language is an ugly language. Just plane (sic) ugly. I grew up with English so it is reasonably natural, but English is suffering some severe brain damage. Do not even get me started on contranyms or auto-antonyms.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #118
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I'd post another message in this thread, but I am afraid my grammar, spelling and punctuation would be ripped apart. :0
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #119
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
The English language is a Rube-Goldberg creation, that is far more complicated than it has to be, but that doesn't make it ugly. Still, if I became dictator, I would standardize the "i before e, except after c, or when sounded as a as in neighbor or weigh" thing (and even then, there are exceptions).

If anyone says "I'm glad you're not the dictator," well, you're going on my list, for when I am the dictator.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #120
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
It's really not hard to remember. None of the personal pronouns (my, his, her, its, ours, yours, theirs) have apostrophes. If you're not tempted to put an apostrophe in "his", there's really no reason why you should be tempted by "its" .
The reason one is tempted by "its" and not by "his" is because there is an "it's" but no hi's, her's, our's, your's, or their's to get confused with.

I don't think it's so much that people can't remember it as that they just write on autopilot what they would say in their heads and don't think about what, specifically, they are writing down as long as there are no obvious misspellings.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote