Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #16
PeterLewis1709
PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos 101, Kindle 4NT
from a newbie perspective, whenever you delve into something new there are always abbreviations that people use and generally the people using them may be completely oblivious to the fact that others may not know what they mean. and indeed in different industries abbreviations may mean different things. At this point in my ebook/ereader user life I kinda need to be led by the hand. I've picked from reading what DRM means but I have no idea what the CSS means that BeccaPrice reffered to earlier "HTML/CSS".

there are also terminologies like Jail breaking, rooted etc that are used often but may not be obvious to all as to what they mean
PeterLewis1709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
iansoady
Enthusiast
iansoady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Personally, I find manuals only become useful when I already know how to use the software / device. Hence I suggest a "How to" section based on tasks the user is likely to want to do, walking through each process and referencing back to your list if necessary.

Your list uses terms which are probably well known to members of this forum but may be gobbledegook to a new Calibre user.
iansoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #18
PeterLewis1709
PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterLewis1709 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos 101, Kindle 4NT
gobbledegook

such an excellent word
PeterLewis1709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #19
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Great project - I think new users (and not so new) will find this very valuable.

I would have thought format conversion is what most people would like to know about.

How about library storage? eg back up, in cloud eg dropbox?

Last edited by Rachel; 01-20-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #20
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I covered format conversion in my paper from last term. this term, we're to do a tutorial rather than a user's manual, and it's only supposed to be 30-40 minutes long, which is why I'm limiting it to using calibre as a library management tool, and covering things like adding user-columns (read, pages) and how to enter a rule to change the display title to include series information.

Maybe in my third term class i can cover some of the more advanced aspects like backing up your library to dropbox or other cloud storage. Third term is coves on-line help files, though, using RoboHelp, so maybe I'll have to pick a totally different topic.

btw, please let me know which terms I've used are gobbledegook so I'll know what terms I need to define!

(why is it called a plugboard? I'm working out how to use them in another thread, but I'm not sure about why it's called what it is.)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 AM   #21
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
(why is it called a plugboard? I'm working out how to use them in another thread, but I'm not sure about why it's called what it is.)
The term comes from old telephone exchanges and from audio setups, where cables are used to connect one person/thing to another. In this case, templates are being connected to output fields by (format+device) "cables".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #22
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
oh, I see. thank you.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #23
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Did anyone suggest merging duplicate entries (where you have more than one copy of the same book, but in different formats, as an example)?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote