Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #1
gdxf
Enthusiast
gdxf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
RTF File Size Drastic Difference on Memory card and Sony Reader

Anyone noticed this drastic size difference for the same rtf files displayed on the reader's internal memory and on the SD card? The same rtf file occupies about at least 3 times more space on the SD card than on the Reader. I don't know why.
gdxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
bingle
Addict
bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bingle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdxf
Anyone noticed this drastic size difference for the same rtf files displayed on the reader's internal memory and on the SD card? The same rtf file occupies about at least 3 times more space on the SD card than on the Reader. I don't know why.
I think this is because using the Connect software actually seems to compress RTF files. The file on the Reader will be smaller than the same file on your PC, as well. I don't know what exactly it's doing during this process, though :-)
bingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Could be the way the SD card is formatted, as well. Block size on large drives and memory cards can be a big factor in wasted space. One time I formatted a 120 GB drive for a NAS server, and just accepted the default format settings. I quickly reformatted when I realized my small text files (10 - 100k) were each taking up 4 MB of drive space. =)

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
gdxf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle
I think this is because using the Connect software actually seems to compress RTF files. The file on the Reader will be smaller than the same file on your PC, as well. I don't know what exactly it's doing during this process, though :-)
It looks like the Connect Softeware won't compress rtf files, but the Reader's internal memory does the compression. That's a pity, IMO. The Reader's internal memory is 91mb, but it can contain at least 300mb rtf files. I really hope the connect software can do the compression also, that way a 1gb SD card would contain approximately 4gb rtf files as shown on the computer. Nobody would have to worry about a the compatibility of a 4gb SD card any more, since 1gb will be enough.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think on the SD card it has to leave it in a format that can be read by other file systems (like Windows), that may be (at least some of) the difference ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2006, 03:49 AM   #6
gdxf
Enthusiast

I open the rtf files using WordTabs to save the files in Wordpad rtf format. The file size is reduced by about 1.5 times and it displays the same on the Reader with larger-sized rtf files.