Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #241
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
Anyone have suggestions for nice fonts to add?
noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 AM   #242
Westlyn
Enthusiast
Westlyn began at the beginning.

Device: Windows Mobile and Android
Thanks for your input. I did manage to get a few PDBs into the right place so was able to try it out once I realised which folder the files had to be copied to on the sd card - it wasn't entirely obvious until I read the help file - I normally skip that step :-)

I still need to try it a bit with more heavily formatted text but my non-DRMed pdbs at least opened.
Westlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #243
sav.here
sav.here began at the beginning.

Device: HTC Legend, IPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
Anyone have suggestions for nice fonts to add?
I usually prefer sans serif fonts for reading... you can try sans serif fonts from these two font websites

Code:
http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=501&sort=date
Code:
http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/list/style/Sans%20Serif
sav.here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #244
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Their is a new version of coolreader available in sourceforge
its supposedly works with pdb files I don't have any to try it out

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...r3/cr3-3.0.45/
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:42 AM   #245
Seadart
Seadart began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad + Palm TX
Reading protected .pdb on Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Have you tried Palm's Android reader at eReader.com. I would suspect that their own reader should be able to read their own DRM?

http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/browse.htm
You would think so, but it does not work. I have eReader, Reader, Aldiko, Kindle and Adobe on my phone but non will read the protected .pdb books. I have loaded the books from the PC and also directly from eReader.com. eReader on the PC can read the protected books.

Still looking for ideas to solve this.

Chris Dart
Seadart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2011, 05:55 AM   #246
Seadart
Seadart began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad + Palm TX
Reading protected .pdb on Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Their is a new version of coolreader available in sourceforge
its supposedly works with pdb files I don't have any to try it out

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cren...r3/cr3-3.0.45/
Have just taken a look, quote of supported formats from SourceForge page:
"Supported formats: FB2, TXT, RTF, TCR, HTML, EPUB, CHM."
Tried the PC version and it does not open .pdb nor .prc nor mobi - pity!

Chris Dart
Seadart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #247
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadart View Post
Have just taken a look, quote of supported formats from SourceForge page:
"Supported formats: FB2, TXT, RTF, TCR, HTML, EPUB, CHM."
Tried the PC version and it does not open .pdb nor .prc nor mobi - pity!

Chris Dart
the pdb support was just added this week it has not been released to the market or its info updated yet.
You can check the git here
http://crengine.git.sourceforge.net/...ine;a=shortlog

And it has been confirmed in the coolreader thread on the forum it works with
pdb and prc
Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #248
tamole
tamole has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Droid X
iReader will open DRM. pdb books. I've tried it and it works fairly well. I like Moon+ reader best as an android ereader, but you have to remove the DRM first and convert to epub to use it. There is information out there for removing DRM for personal use. Just google it.
tamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #249
Westlyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
the pdb support was just added this week it has not been released to the market or its info updated yet.
You can check the git here
http://crengine.git.sourceforge.net/...ine;a=shortlog

And it has been confirmed in the coolreader thread on the forum it works with
pdb and prc
I didn't test with DRMed content though. It may be necessary to remove DRM before one could use CoolReader and if so then one might as well finish the job and convert to epub, I would guess.

Plus exact formatting may be an issue.

CoolReader is very readable but I've recently found some issues in its formatting/character display support for apostrophe and smart quotes compared to say FBReader on a Baen free book that I just read.

Last edited by Westlyn; 04-05-2011 at 09:01 AM. Reason: correct mispelling
Old 04-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #250
emilianm
emilianm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello,

If I would like to read .epub and .pdf files, and to have my android phone synchronized with my android tablet what are my options in this moment ?

Thanks!
emilianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #251
Dopedangel
Wizard

Official coolreader update has been released in the market
This is the blurb from the market page

Reading books in epub, fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr, pdb, prc, pml formats.
eBook reader. Supports epub (non-DRM), fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr, pdb, prc, mobi, pml formats.

WHAT'S NEW
What's in this version:
PDB support added (non-DRM Mobipocket, PalmDOC, eREADER - plain text, html, pml)
Raw PML text format support.

Now just needs a way to sync between different devices.

Last edited by Dopedangel; 04-06-2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #252
Westlyn
Enthusiast

Quote:
Official coolreader update has been released in the market
This is the blurb from the market page

Reading books in epub, fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr, pdb, prc, pml formats.
eBook reader. Supports epub (non-DRM), fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr, pdb, prc, mobi, pml formats.

WHAT'S NEW
What's in this version:
PDB support added (non-DRM Mobipocket, PalmDOC, eREADER - plain text, html, pml)
Raw PML text format support.

Looks good - do I understand that description to mean that it can open .mobi files in addition to .prc and .pdb?

For the sake of completeness, I recently discovered that FBReader has the (undocumented?) capability of opening .PRC and .mobi files but doesn't appear to recognise .PDB files -
Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 AM   #253
surakmn
surakmn began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadart View Post
You would think so, but it does not work. I have eReader, Reader, Aldiko, Kindle and Adobe on my phone but non will read the protected .pdb books. I have loaded the books from the PC and also directly from eReader.com. eReader on the PC can read the protected books.

Still looking for ideas to solve this.

Chris Dart
The paid version of iReader (costs about $2) can handle DRM protected mobi and eReader files. It's not perfect, but works quite well. My wife has many, many, many books in these formats from when she used a Palm TX as her reading device. She buys new books through her Nook software, but the old books work well enough in iReader.

Note, the free version of iReader does support mobi and eReader files but not protected files. You need the paid version for that.
surakmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #254
emilianm
emilianm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

Do they have an road-map for this sync functionality to be implemented ?
emilianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:24 AM   #255
Dopedangel
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilianm View Post
Do they have an road-map for this sync functionality to be implemented ?
Not that I know off its just one guy developing this app in his spare time
it was first being used in jinke eink devices now he has ported it to android. Looking at the git log he has just started adding antiword so that means we might see word doc support in a few weeks.
I did ask for dropbox sync support in coolreader thread and he did say he would look into it and inquired about the Dropbox Api after that no follow up. I think sync is not that important at the moment as the number of users that would have android tablets and phones is not very high so the author might not be interested in it yet.
Anyway with google being such a promoter of cloud services I expect them to come up with a way for apps to store settings in the cloud in the next few months

Tags
android, android;ebooks, cliq, droid, nexus one